Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Super Sport (a proposal)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well good news is 4680 is on the horizon for 2022 mass volume. First in the model Y but if we're lucky maybe the model 3 Performance gets it by end of next year along with new motors to take it to the next level. Either late 2022 or 2023 it will.

And being structural, these batteries will mean an even LIGHTER, FASTER, longer range M3P. I'll enjoy mine for the time being.

And being structural, these batteries will mean an even LIGHTER, FASTER, longer range M3P. I'll enjoy mine for the time being.
Maybe, the history of automotive design teaches us that even as new fabrication techniques and lighter materials enter the market that vehicles still tend to get heavier. The mass market doesn't care about light weight, they care about many other things. So the new Teslas may very well weigh the same but have more range or more safety or more room or more features or some of the expensive lightweight things may be replaced with cheaper ones, etc etc etc

I'd rather have somewhat more battery capacity for track than weight decrease. Large battery can be used longer, charge faster, gives more power, can do better regen and overheats less. All that is now more valuable than marginal weight loss. Assuming Plaid motors and average power consumption after regen of 500kW - 20 minute session would eat above 160kwh of charge. You need 200kwh battery and above 500KW charger to be able to make it to the next round... We are not yet there.

I'd rather have somewhat more battery capacity for track than weight decrease. Large battery can be used longer, charge faster, gives more power, can do better regen and overheats less. All that is now more valuable than marginal weight loss. Assuming Plaid motors and average power consumption after regen of 500kW - 20 minute session would eat above 160kwh of charge. You need 200kwh battery and above 500KW charger to be able to make it to the next round... We are not yet there.

Current MP3 battery is 82kwh at1060lbs. So if you bumped the mass of the car from 4000lbs to 4,500lbs you get 123kwh battery but now you need bigger tires and that will eat into some of the extra energy. Or you keep the car at 4,000lbs and hope that 4680 battery packs bump you up to 100kwh, which is also kinda marginal. If you just have a level 3 supercharger at the track you are pretty well off, even though not at gasoline track car convenience. The cars go from low to 80% really quick.

Reactions: tm1v2
Current MP3 battery is 82kwh at1060lbs. So if you bumped the mass of the car from 4000lbs to 4,500lbs you get 123kwh battery but now you need bigger tires and that will eat into some of the extra energy. Or you keep the car at 4,000lbs and hope that 4680 battery packs bump you up to 100kwh, which is also kinda marginal. If you just have a level 3 supercharger at the track you are pretty well off, even though not at gasoline track car convenience. The cars go from low to 80% really quick.
I would trade off 10% more weight for 1.5x larger battery, 4x better cooling and 2x better motors without hesitation. Wider wheel arches are welcome too.

Similar to the OP, before my M3P I had a tuned CLS63 AMG, and before that a BMW. AMG had at least 150 more HP than the M3P. It was RWD only traction limiting 0-60 to 3.6'ish on a good day which wasn't shabby. Yet, to me, after driving the M3P, my CLS felt very dated and sluggish. Now on the freeway once you approached and exceeded triple-digit territory the CLS was much more fun and would eat the M3P. But how many people drive at those speeds and how often can you do that? The M3P already beats almost anything at triple the price in the city at "normal" driving speeds. So I'd say it would not make much sense for Tesla to get more performance oriented than they already are. As much as I would be willing to pay for more performance for the M3P, I think we are a very small minority of the market. If anything, it would make more sense for Tesla to play catch up to put in better creature comfort features and better technology in the M3 to catch up to others, even if it meant a slower drivetrain. But still hoping for an OTA boost option to buy to shave maybe .4 or .5 seconds off my 0-60. :p
take-my-money.png

Reactions: raptor5244
I will start off by saying that I definitely enjoy my M3P and have no regrets about purchasing it. However, after a year and a few months of driving it, I have had some thoughts that I would like to share.

As background, I have previously owned an AMG C63 with the 6.2l engine, an AMG C63s with the twin turbo 4l engine, and a BMW M4. I enjoyed each of these cars to varying degrees and I will spend a moment describing their pluses and minuses. The 6.2l C63 was a classic AMG hot rod. The engine was amazing, but the chassis and particularly the comparatively skinny tires made for lots of drifting and burn out action, but only modest corner grip. Nonetheless,a really fun car for its day. The M4 handled pretty well, but at the cost of a fairly harsh ride (which I did not mind, but others have complained). The engine was nice, but definitely not amazing. The big downside was the traction / stability control. Literally, if it sensed even the slightest risk of slip it would intervene so forcefully you might think someone had pulled the emergency brake. Defeating the stability control overcame this problem, but I like a safety net, so I rarely resorted to this. Finally, the C63s also has a remarkable engine. While a huge leap forward compared to the previous generation C63 chassis, the car was still a bit heavy and the tires still too skinny. The car was predictable, and handled well within its limits, but those limits were a bit low. To its credit, the stability control was set up perfectly, both in terms of waiting until there was really a problem and in gentle and minimal intervention.

This brings us to the M3P. As others have mentioned, the interior is not really up to the quality of the above competitors, but it is comfortable enough for me and the M3P's lower price and higher performance certainly make up for any interior shortcomings for me. I am amazed that Tesla can currently sell an M3P for about $55,000 that outperforms those other cars on the street and on the track when they cost between $75,000 and $85,000.

I will say that for me, there is a bit less of a sense of excitement when driving the M3 at least compared to the 2 AMGs. Those cars felt less isolated from the road and gave more overall feedback. On the other hand, the M3 is considerably more relaxing to drive and much better suited for long road trips, particularly when using auto pilot even without FSD. Also, unlike the M4, I have not experienced an overactive stability control system in the M3P.

Sorry for all the prologue, but here is my thinking and proposal. Many car magazines have been reporting the imminent arrival of a new and improved BMW M3/M4 duo that will eventually include all wheel drive variants and that are reputed to have kicked up the horsepower from the low to mid 400 range up to 503. This suggests that BMW is serious about beating the M3P at the track and retaking the sport sedan crown. While less has been written about future AMG vehicles, I am certain AMG will respond in kind.

Based on all of the above, I think Tesla should offer a Super Sport (or Ludicrous or whatever) version of the M3P to stay ahead in the sport sedan race and to offer greater driving excitement. What would this include you ask (and I'll tell you even if you didn't ask ;-).

* Higher capacity battery - with advancing battery technology, Tesla should now have access to batteries with higher capacity than the current M3P battery, and, importantly, these new batteries should weigh no more and preferably less than the current battery.

* Higher capacity / power drive motors and circuitry - with more battery capacity (and higher current capacity) the rest of the drive system should also get beefed up to provide quicker acceleration and perhaps less fall off at higher speeds.

* More sophisticated suspension - In a world where Camaros, Mustangs and Corvettes have fancy computer controlled shocks and suspensions that provide comfortable ride, reduced brake dive, better weight transfer for acceleration, and flatter cornering, it is time for Tesla to step up and offer something comparable. Tesla can also implement variable ride height as it has with the Model S to improve highway range and high speed cornering.

* Better brakes - the M3P brakes are fine for the street, but given the range of higher performance aftermarket offerings, there is clearly room for improvement for cars that may see occasional or frequent track duty.

* True lightweight forged wheels - When I wanted a second set of wheels so I could have dedicated winter wheels / tires, I splurged for the T-Sportline forged wheels. The weight difference really is at least 10 lbs per wheel and you can feel the difference in front end response, turn-in and a generally more nimble feel. Forged wheels are also stronger, so other than cost, there is no downside here.

Given that the current C63s costs north of $80,000 in any reasonable configuration and that the new BMW M3/M4 will likely be in the same ballpark, Tesla has lots of price headroom to implement all of the above improvements and more while still undercutting its competitors' prices.

Perhaps the only thing holding Tesla back in this regard is a desire to keep the Model 3 performance below that of the flagship Model S. However, when the Plaid Model S arrives, that obstacle should disappear.

Well, that is my proposal. I will say that if Tesla takes me up on it and succeeds as I expect, I will line up for a trade-in.

I welcome all constructive feedback.

Peace
4680 will easily address this...that is all

It’s not a $100,000 solution. Right now , Tesla could easily bump up the P in the Performance with some general weight savings, ultralight forged wheels, and Electronically controlled dampers with adjustable, adaptable suspension modes. That really shouldn’t cost more than $5000-8000 over the LR model. It really shouldn’t be more than another $5000 over the current model where you don’t get a whole lot for the $$$ on the P model. It was still desirable to me.

Later maybe a launch/ridiculous mode, a bit better and or lighter battery pack that all Teslas will get, and you’re there. Perhaps 1-2 P exclusive exterior colors, and some upgraded front seats as add ins and you’re even farther. None of these things would need to change any major manufacturing of the model 3.

It’s not a $100,000 solution. Right now , Tesla could easily bump up the P in the Performance with some general weight savings, ultralight forged wheels, and Electronically controlled dampers with adjustable, adaptable suspension modes. That really shouldn’t cost more than $5000-8000 over the LR model. It really shouldn’t be more than another $5000 over the current model where you don’t get a whole lot for the $$$ on the P model.
Of course, it does not need to be a $100,000 solution. This price is simply what I would personally accept and be willing to pay for a tri or quad motor variant of the Model 3, that would presumably have pretty much the same insane acceleration as the Model S Plaid (0-60 in about 2 seconds).

The current price on the Model S Plaid starts at $130,000.
So, in my opinion, if Tesla were to produce Model 3 ”Plaid” that has the same or similar performance/acceleration as their $130,000 Model S Plaid, then why not price that M3 around $100,000? This price point would make perfect sense to me from a marketing & supply/demand point of view.

Of course, this is all a pipe dream, because Tesla would never make a Model 3 with the same performance as their flagship Model S Plaid. However, it’s fun to dream… 😄

You are right, just looked the part up and MPP's website.
How labor intensive do you think it would be to actually install such aftermarket part?
If someone comes out with subframe bushing inserts, maybe 3-4 hours of labor. Full subframe bushings will be like 7-8 hours of labor. My shop has done a bunch of BMW E8x, E9x, and BRZs.

2a2a937b80e4096fcbadf8b28e8f3a3c0f32a4fd.jpeg

From Model 3 / Model Y - Technische Veränderungen und Details

So it's hairpin motor and new LG battery. Not RS model 3, but it's still an improvement - 22PS more power and less drop at lower SoC.

Still need a significantly improved cooling circuit and Plaid power vs speed curve. I'm quite sure that would not come before 4680 would cover initial demand for cybertruck, semi, roadster and model 2, so not another 2-3 years. But it's looking more and more reasonable to consider upgrading 19 year version to 22.