Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 superchargeable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may be a stupid idea, but I suppose there is an outside chance that they will fit Model ☰ with a CCS port and an optional "supercharger to CCS adapter".
Then they wouldn't need the J1772 adapter

But how would I charge in my garage then? I assumed charging at the house would be via Level 2 J1772 (or I was hoping since I already own one). Also, if you are going to opportunity charge, the J1772 is by far the most common adapter you find right now.

It may be a stupid idea, but I suppose there is an outside chance that they will fit Model ☰ with a CCS port and an optional "supercharger to CCS adapter".

Not going to happen.

Also, it wouldn't be a "Supercharge to CCS adapter" it would be a "Tesla to CCS/J1772 adapter". (Since you would need it to use any Tesla destination HPWC, Tesla UMC, or Tesla Supercharge to charge your car.

- - - Updated - - -

But how would I charge in my garage then? I assumed charging at the house would be via Level 2 J1772 (or I was hoping since I already own one). Also, if you are going to opportunity charge, the J1772 is by far the most common adapter you find right now.

A CCS socket, at least in the US, is a J1772 on top with two extra pins tacked below it. So a car with a CCS socket can use any J1772 or CCS charger without an adapter. (But you wouldn't be able to use any Tesla charger without an adapter.)

It may be a stupid idea, but I suppose there is an outside chance that they will fit Model ☰ with a CCS port and an optional "supercharger to CCS adapter". Then they wouldn't need the J1772 adapter
The Model S and presumably Model X in Europe use the Mennekes connector on the car, which makes sense because it is relatively ubiquitous across many National borders, with multiple countries offering three phase power. Though CCS connectors are mandated in the EU at charging stations beginning in 2017, they are not mandated on cars, it seems. The CCS 'standard' adopted by automakers for use in the US is different from the one used in Europe. Without a Federal mandate, and by the Will of God, Tesla Motors will NEVER be forced to include the monstrous FrankenPlug on any of their vehicles... EVER. Similarly, the Tesla connector design is simpler, easier, more elegant, and significantly more flexible and capable than either CCS or J1772 connectors. Should enough Tesla Model ≡ Owners demand the option, Tesla Motors will certainly make a CCS-to-Tesla adapter available, just as they did for CHAdeMO. J1772 is already covered.

One thing I like about Tesla is they do make adapters for just about everything. I plan on buying the whole kit :) We stayed at a hotel in Ventura once that had a "charging station" which turned out to be (1) 120v wall socket and two RV style sockets. A Tesla was already there, but they had to plug into the wall socket since they didn't own the adapter. If I had needed to charge, I would have been out of luck unless I had an adapter with me.

I don't think it is a stupid idea, and I have earlier proposed something similar, except for the European marked. As others have mentioned here Tesla - and the superchargers - uses the Type2 Mennekes connector, and the CCS standard here is Type2 Mennekes connector with 2 extra connectors. So if the TM3 here would get a CCS connector it should still be able to use the SuperChargers without any adapter.

It's a bit more complicated in the NA, but sooner or later I think even Tesla will have to go over to using standard connectors/plugs, and the introduction of the TM3 will be a good candidate to start this transition.

Yes, the "Tesla plug" is small, easy to handle and looks good, and the CCS is big, heavy, hard to handle and ugly. It would have been better if "all the others" would go for the "Tesla plug", but I think that train has left the station...

Instead of asking T≡SLA to change their standard charging port, I'd rather see a second charging port added so that we don't need adapters. However, I don't see T≡SLA adding a second port anymore than I see them abandoning their own port.

But I completely support the development of charging port standardization... like gas pumps did to ensure you could fit the nozzle in your car properly.

I think this is what I was really thinking about earlier when I suggested CCS.
Maybe we'll get a J1772 which really is a standard fitment in pretty much every EV except Tesla.
Then the Tesla->J1772 would only be used for supercharging - although now I type it, it seems less of a good idea to throw that much power through a simple adapter.

It's a bit more complicated in the NA, but sooner or later I think even Tesla will have to go over to using standard connectors/plugs, and the introduction of the TM3 will be a good candidate to start this transition.
No.

Yes, the "Tesla plug" is small, easy to handle and looks good, and the CCS is big, heavy, hard to handle and ugly. It would have been better if "all the others" would go for the "Tesla plug", but I think that train has left the station...
So, because traditional automobile manufacturers have resolved to making EV Charging as difficult, inconvenient, confusing, and nonstandard as possible, Tesla Motors should adopt their methods...? NO.