Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 supercharger policy:

• Fair?

• Unfair?

• More kWh than I'll probably use

• Probably meets my needs

• Scotty, I need more power!

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't imagine how solar could not be worth it. I pay $0.083 per kWh for my solar electricity, and I don't live in sunny California by any means. Whether solar is worth it doesn't depend much on how efficient your house is. Just size your array to match your yearly production, to your yearly consumption.

Thank you kindly.

p.s. kWh, not kW, is what you buy from PG&E.

Thanks. Not too familiar with the terminology yet.

Friend in the same neighborhood just put up solar. $36,000. Not counting tax credits, but still, that's quite a chunk of change to amortize out. And I'd have to double check how the tax rules work, but I might have to put solar in a different year than when I get the M3. They plan on being here long term so ultimately it's worth it for them. I'm unsure how long I'll be in this house, so it's just too much for me to "risk" right now. That said, if PG&E makes some crazy bump in prices or I find out that charging at home is pushing my bill up dramatically, I'll reconsider.

I'm unsure how long I'll be in this house, so it's just too much for me to "risk" right now.

Really not much of a risk...

The value of the energy the array is expected to produce over the next 12 years IIRC is added to the value of the home so it's not a subjective number like remodeling. This is an approved appraisal metric. You'll usually increase the value of your home a bit more than you spend on the array (provided you don't get ripped off paying >$3/w :()

• Informative
Reactions: gavine
You have to take into account the cost of installing solar, or, if you lease it, the fact that the solar company now owns part of your house.

I DID take that into account. That is my cost of equipment plus installation amortized over the lifespan of the system, and divided by expected production.

What isn't included is maintenance and upkeep costs, and income for RECs (renewable energy credits).

Solar is CHEAP people! And the cost is dropping.

Thank you kindly.

Last edited:
Reactions: SageBrush and DR61
I would leave it to the professionals.

I have worked on a number of systems, it isn't that tricky. (Honestly, the riskiest bit of electrical work, is the AC breaker box work.) But, for my own, I left it to the professionals. Not because of any electrical hazards, but because my roof is steep and slippery. Be safe; know what you are about; know your limits.

that's quite a chunk of change to amortize out.

So get a loan with the length set so that your loan payment is equal to your old electric bill. No muss, no fuss, eleven years later (or so), you have free electricity for the next 19 years (or so). BTW $36,000 is a large system, you may not need that much.

I'm unsure how long I'll be in this house, so it's just too much for me to "risk" right now

It does increase the value of the house. But, if you are concerned, look into a community solar farm. You own the panels, get the benefits of the electricity, can keep it if you move locally, or sell it easily if you move far away.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: DR61
I wish I lived in a state where payback was that short. I'd take comfort in the 10c per kWh electric but my home county now charges an extra $100 a year for EVs to register for tags vs the ICE registration. That extra $100 a year vs my 10,000 miles or so a year of driving basically eats into the savings per mile I was counting on when I got my first EV.
In Georgia we pay $200 a year to register EV. Gotta love the power of lobbyists for the oil and gas and automobile dealers association. That's ok, Georgia Power has super low rates for EVs to charge 11pm-7am.

I have worked on a number of systems, it isn't that tricky. (Honestly, the riskiest bit of electrical work, is the AC breaker box work.) But, for my own, I left it to the professionals. Not because of any electrical hazards, but because my roof is steep and slippery. Be safe; know what you are about; know your limits.

So get a loan with the length set so that your loan payment is equal to your old electric bill. No muss, no fuss, eleven years later (or so), you have free electricity for the next 19 years (or so). BTW $36,000 is a large system, you may not need that much.

It does increase the value of the house. But, if you are concerned, look into a community solar farm. You own the panels, get the benefits of the electricity, can keep it if you move locally, or sell it easily if you move far away.

Thank you kindly.

Hmm, never heard of a solar farm. I'll have to look into it.

But yeah, I'm not sure if I'll still be here in 5 years, let alone 11. Or 30. And the houses here, well, $36,000 appears to be average. Unless you're just trying to nip enough usage off your bill to drop you into a lower tier of pricing.

In Georgia we pay $200 a year to register EV. Gotta love the power of lobbyists for the oil and gas and automobile dealers association. That's ok, Georgia Power has super low rates for EVs to charge 11pm-7am.

My electric utility has the same, but they jack up the rates for the rest of the time. We work from home and have kids, so we use electricity all day long. Most households around here are similar (maybe not work from home, but have a stay at home parent or nanny). That EV plan would kill us.

4000 miles is almost half of what an average American drives a year and the equivalent of like 133 gallons worth of gas. That's a win if true.
So you estimate an average of only 8000 miles a year? That's only true for 65+ age group according to US DOT data. Overall data is 13,000+ miles per year. But back to the topic, I am very pleasantly surprised that there will be any free usage. I was a bit torn between using my 249 mile range S with its free Supercharging vs my 310 mile range 3 for long trips, but this policy will probably tilt the decision in favor of the longer-ranged 3 more often. Since it is a only one-time freebie, the policy also should discourage urban Supercharger cloggers who can charge at home -- and that's a very good thing.

I'd take this info with a big grain of salt until Tesla communicates it via their corporate channels, vs a single individual.

If Tesla is willing and able to be generous with charging for Model III, I hope they offer subsidized/assisted home charging installation for folks who have dedicated home parking, which will indirectly reduce stress on Superchargers.
I disagree. We should pay for our home charging infrastructure. And if the free allowance is a one-time deal, that will discourage cheapskates from using urban Superchargers every day.

Solar is CHEAP people! And the cost is dropping.

Thank you kindly.

I just looked, I wrote myself monthly checks for what my electric bill would have been before solar. In less than 3 years, I would have given the electric company over $6,000. Instead, that money has gone to pay down my solar system cost. Maybe solar keeps going down, but people keep throwing away money to the utility company that could be used to pay for solar..... Just sayin'

I just looked, I wrote myself monthly checks for what my electric bill would have been before solar. In less than 3 years, I would have given the electric company over $6,000. Instead, that money has gone to pay down my solar system cost. Maybe solar keeps going down, but people keep throwing away money to the utility company that could be used to pay for solar..... Just sayin'
I agree with your logic. My system saves me 6k a year, will recoup my investment in 4 years, then it's a 25% return on my money for 16 years (grandfathered in net metering for 20 years) if you live where it's sunny and have a rip-off invester owned utility like sdge
solar a no brainer.

For how much solar (peak watts)? That is about twice what I paid for enough to run my house, heat it in the winter, and (hopefully) charge an EV. PLUS the heat pump that makes the heat. BEFORE, incentives. In a place with far less sun, than Northern CA.

Thank you kindly.

6.5-8 (watts?) For all the competition and underhanded methods they do to try and sell around here, the competition hasn't lowered prices as much as I would have expected.

I got a quote for $35,000 for 6.5. Neighbor just put in a 8 for $36k from a different company. He said he found a little cheaper, but the warranties were decades different and the panels were made in China and required more panels for the same output. Still, it all did seem abnormally high to me, which is why I haven't put it in. $17k for a 6.5 kW system would DRASTICALLY change the calculus for me. I do wonder if they charge more if you're in a wealthier zip code.