Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Supercharging Capable Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before we get too deep again, no one ever said Supercharging would be FREE. It's not free now. You pay $2500 bundled in with your larger battery pack....

See...you're looking at this as an all or nothing situation, and that's where you may be wrong.

IMO, they're setting it up to give people the OPTION.

Because on many of these threads, lots of people have said they would rather pay as they go for Supercharging, and that's cool, because everyone's situation is different in regards to use cases, proximity to Superchargers, etc....Once again, Tesla used us as a free focus group, and were receptive to our ideas. (Let's see GM or Ford or any of the German manufacturers do that....)

In the end, there will be 3 options:

Small battery, Pay Per ___ kWH
Large battery, Pay Per ___ kWH
Large battery. Supercharging "for life" bundled in for $2500-3000

Unless you're Elon, stop telling us that your version of the truth is the only truth, because it's probably not.

:cool::cool::cool::cool:o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
Where are you getting the 3 options from? People keep indicating that there will be options.....but no one is referencing the options to anything.

Where are you getting the 3 options from? People keep indicating that there will be options.....but no one is referencing the options to anything.

Three logical options.

Maybe 4? Maybe you can pay up front for "Supercharging for life" even with the small battery?

We'll see.

I'm speculating here. Unlike some, I won't tell you my comments are gospel.

Take them with a whole shaker of salt.

Reactions: Red Sage
No smugness, just the truth. Tesla has already tipped their hand on their future intentions.
No amount of wishing is going to make Model 3 Supercharging free... it will be pay to play. :cool:
There will be pay to play, or pre-pay to play, or however you want to term it.
When he initially revealed it wouldn't be free for life I beleive Elon said something like "unless you get that option [package?]".
I assume it'll be either as a standalone option or bundled with a larger battery or dual motors or both.

In the end, there will be 3 options:

Small battery, Pay Per ___ kWH
Large battery, Pay Per ___ kWH
Large battery. Supercharging "for life" bundled in for $2500-3000

I'm hoping for a larger battery, dual motor, free SC package that has a nice "bundled" discount. :)

Reactions: S3XY and Red Sage
There will be pay to play, or pre-pay to play, or however you want to term it.
When he initially revealed it wouldn't be free for life I beleive Elon said something like "unless you get that option [package?]".
I assume it'll be either as a standalone option or bundled with a larger battery or dual motors or both.

I'm hoping for a larger battery, dual motor, free SC package that has a nice "bundled" discount. :)
People - There has ALWAYS been pay-to-play. The model S has pay-to-play built into the price on some models. SC has never been free.

Well, it's been included in the price of all Tesla X, and almost all Model S vehicles to date. The exception being the early S60s. Most people called that free. And to use @Red Sage's phrasing, it was something like "Free (of additional fees)". :)

Supercharging is included in the price, just like a steering wheel and seats are included in the price. They aren't free, but there is no option to leave them off either.

Yes and no.

The markup on the larger battery pack suggests that S and X owners are paying for Supercharging as a hidden cost. It seems "free", but the extra kWH you're paying for doesn't cost Tesla as much to produce as they're charging for it....that markup is the Supercharging fee.

Originally only the 85 KWh cars had supercharging included. With the introduction of the 70 KWh battery, supercharging was included on all S and X. It's still included on all S and X, regardless of the pack size, even the new 60 KWh.

The only people who didn't get supercharging included were the handful of 40 buyers and some of the early 60 buyers. The first 60s were built before supercharging was announced, so there was no option, but a lot of 60 buyers opted for supercharging. When Tesla takes back 60s without supercharging, they enable it before selling it as a CPO and since I've never seen a 40 CPO, I suspect they enable the whole battery before selling them too (I could be wrong there).

At this point, there are probably only 1000-2000 cars out of around 180K that don't have supercharging enabled.

Supercharging is included in the price, just like a steering wheel and seats are included in the price. They aren't free, but there is no option to leave them off either.

Originally only the 85 KWh cars had supercharging included. With the introduction of the 70 KWh battery, supercharging was included on all S and X. It's still included on all S and X, regardless of the pack size, even the new 60 KWh.

The only people who didn't get supercharging included were the handful of 40 buyers and some of the early 60 buyers. The first 60s were built before supercharging was announced, so there was no option, but a lot of 60 buyers opted for supercharging. When Tesla takes back 60s without supercharging, they enable it before selling it as a CPO and since I've never seen a 40 CPO, I suspect they enable the whole battery before selling them too (I could be wrong there).

At this point, there are probably only 1000-2000 cars out of around 180K that don't have supercharging enabled.
I don't have any numbers or facts to approve or disprove anyone....but its hilarious to see numbers posted.

I don't know if you guys saw it, but I was communicating yesterday on here with a guy who was saying - There were only a "FEW" people who had/ordered SC in their MS. Now I see that there is an opinion that there are only a few people that "don't" have the SC option.

I guess this opinion varies based on which way the wind is blowing.

I don't know if you guys saw it, but I was communicating yesterday on here with a guy who was saying - There were only a "FEW" people who had/ordered SC in their MS. Now I see that there is an opinion that there are only a few people that "don't" have the SC option.

Maybe he was just playing semantics?

A VAST majority of S/X owners technically didn't explicitly order SC, it was just already included...

People - There has ALWAYS been pay-to-play. The model S has pay-to-play built into the price on some models. SC has never been free.
Yes, you're right, everyone knows that the price is baked into the car and that they're paying for it. With the new possibilities that have been hinted at though people are calling the one where you get baked in or as purchased as a one time thing as "free for life", and the other option where you prepay for it as pay to play, or pay as you go, or whatever.

Yes, you're right, everyone knows that the price is baked into the car and that they're paying for it. With the new possibilities that have been hinted at though people are calling the one where you get baked in or as purchased as a one time thing as "free for life", and the other option where you prepay for it as pay to play, or pay as you go, or whatever.

You are correct. Now imagine if Tesla "unbakes" the price of SC? Now they are making NOTHING on the person that doesn't buy it as an option or pay-per-use ( if they offer it).

My suggestion - keep the baked in price and continue to let the "john-q-publics" in the forum / and the world think its free.

Do you realize how much SC'ing you would have to do "on average" to use up $2500 worth of electricity - JUST driving on long distance trips? You will have to take a TON of trips.

Maybe he was just playing semantics?

A VAST majority of S/X owners technically didn't explicitly order SC, it was just already included...
You are correct. Now imagine if Tesla "unbakes" the price of SC? Now they are making NOTHING on the person that doesn't buy it as an option or pay-per-use ( if they offer it).

My suggestion - keep the baked in price and continue to let the "john-q-publics" in the forum / and the world think its free to use.

Before we get too deep again, no one ever said Supercharging would be FREE. It's not free now. You pay $2500 bundled in with your larger battery pack....

Where do you get the $2,500 figure? Anything is currently baked in to the price of the car, not the larger battery. (Currently every car, even the with the smallest battery, gets Supercharging included at no extra cost.)

Even when they charged for it, only on the original Model S 60, it was only $2,000 when purchased at the time you ordered your car. (The extra $500 is a change fee.)

Where do you get the $2,500 figure? Anything is currently baked in to the price of the car, not the larger battery. (Currently every car, even the with the smallest battery, gets Supercharging included at no extra cost.)

Even when they charged for it, only on the original Model S 60, it was only $2,000 when purchased at the time you ordered your car. (The extra $500 is a change fee.)
This is where it comes from.

Tesla — Enable Supercharging

Supercharging has NEVER been free so I don't know what you are talking about..

What is your source concerning Supercharging never being free? Is that your wish?
I believe @FlatSix911 may have been among those who don't want the Model 3 to be Supercharger compatible at all. If he is, then that would mean pay-per-use across the board for Generation III, and separate chargers for Generation II, 'preferred' Customers... Precisely the sort of class warfare segregation I have been arguing against from the outset of these discussions. Strangely, very few now admit to feeling that way and now frame PP4U as a path of least resistance for those who are 'stretching' to get Model 3. To which I say [BOLSHEVIK]. More like you want them to stretch all the way over to use someone else's grossly overpriced 'Metrochargers' instead of soiling the ground of your precious Superchargers. (Though I've seen that attitude expressed most at the Tesla Forums rather than here.)

I believe @FlatSix911 may have been among those who don't want the Model 3 to be Supercharger compatible at all. If he is, then that would mean pay-per-use across the board for Generation III, and separate chargers for Generation II, 'preferred' Customers... Precisely the sort of class warfare segregation I have been arguing against from the outset of these discussions. Strangely, very few now admit to feeling that way and now frame PP4U as a path of least resistance for those who are 'stretching' to get Model 3. To which I say [BOLSHEVIK]. More like you want them to stretch all the way over to use someone else's grossly overpriced 'Metrochargers' instead of soiling the ground of your precious Superchargers. (Though I've seen that attitude expressed most at the Tesla Forums rather than here.)

I think Elon has seen the "class warfare" amongst other OEM owner groups (looking at you...Audi....), and doesn't care to play that game.

If you own a Tesla, you own a Tesla.

Now, if we could get all current Tesla owners to remember that when the Model 3 rolls out............

I think Elon has seen the "class warfare" amongst other OEM owner groups (looking at you...Audi....), and doesn't care to play that game.
I think that's why it's going to be unbundled from the S and X as well, and why we saw this leak when we did. It's coming soon to both of those vehicles and it'll be a standard set of packages across the product line.

I think that's why it's going to be unbundled from the S and X as well, and why we saw this leak when we did. It's coming soon to both of those vehicles and it'll be a standard set of packages across the product line.

Yeah pretty much the only way to reduce the congestion seen with existing Model S & X owners now. Though if they give them "unlimited credits" to maintain the Free Supercharging for Life claim I am not sure how it would improve anything.

Sounds totally reasonable. It's just as we discussed in this thread. I'm also willing to bet that the unlimited charging price will increase in coordination with this.
Yeah pretty much the only way to reduce the congestion seen with existing Model S & X owners now. Though if they give them "unlimited credits" to maintain the Free Supercharging for Life claim I am not sure how it would improve anything.
Existing owners will be left on unlimited plans, as was promised to them. Tesla doesn't have a way to back out of that.