TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Supercharging

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by sooner, Jul 16, 2018.

1. sooner

sooner Member

My understanding was that the Model 3 receives no free supercharging, whether that be in the form of kwH credit or free visits, etc.

As I presently cannot charge at my own home (my 15 amp outlets are not grounded, and I do not yet have a 30 amp hookup in garage until Thursday) my only recourse has been to supercharge when needed. Twice since I got the car.

So far, my bill is $0.00, after consuming 75 kwH.

Have I missed something with Supercharging being free or is something amiss? To be clear, I am not complaining, the result is just not meeting expectation of having to pay.

Also, not clear on the idle fee explanation: Does this only apply if all or nearly all supercharger stalls are occupied? First time supercharging, the car finished and I did not move until 20 minutes after that (was eating dinner). But I was also the only car there.

2. dano9258

dano9258 Member

I believe we get 6 hours free annually

• Disagree x 5
  3. sooner

sooner Member

I had thought that to be an unsubstantiated rumor. But if true, that is fine with me. Another positive surprise.

4. amitmishra4

amitmishra4 Member

You just got lucky - certain superchargers are known to not charge yet - They will eventually.

• Like x 2
  5. dano9258

dano9258 Member

Actually reading Tesla's site that is false....says model 3 gets none.....sorry, I got told you get 6 hours.

• Like x 2
  6. ezevphl

ezevphl Member

Do you have a credit card saved in your Tesla account? Officially they are supposed to bill to the card on file and not allow charging if you don't have one. However it seems that they may just charge anyway and not actually bill you.

7. sooner

sooner Member

I do have account set up properly.

8. sooner

sooner Member

It is a low use Supercharger (density of Tesla's in area is super low.... I would guess under 100 in the 3 county area) so could be a reason not updated yet.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

It took a few days for Supercharging to bill correctly and in a timely manner to my account.
    I didn't pay attention whether the first couple Supercharger visits were eventually charged to my account.

10. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

There isn't any free Supercharging. I've used it a few times on my road trips so I can definitely confirm that it costs money for the Model 3. However, their system isn't perfect so I have noticed a couple of times when they didn't charge my account.

11. RayK

RayK Member

Both of my sessions at the Cupertino, CA station have been charged to my credit card on file. You can review your past charges by logging into your Tesla account and clicking on the History link at the top right of the page. There you can also read about the idle fee policy:

Supercharger Idle Fee

12. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Idle fees are charged if the station is at least 50% full when your charge is completed. There is a 5 min. grace period.
    Supercharger Idle Fee

• Informative x 1
  13. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

Some supercharging stations have deals with the property owners to cover the electricity cost of supercharging. So until those deals expires or they change those deals, certain stations will remain free. Tesla cannot make money off of those locations from the owner's electricity. Maybe they might negotiate a deal with Tesla down the road where they get a cut of the profits of the charging fees then I can see free supercharging for all begin to charge fees for non-unlimited free supercharging Teslas. Overall this is the way to go forward because those stations that are free will always be congested by those model 3s and such due to being free and people charging there all the time.

14. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

These are probably destination chargers, not Superchargers

15. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

Nope. Look at San Diego supercharger. Free to charge for Model 3. But do keep it quiet so there won't be floods of model 3s.

• Like x 1
  16. sooner

sooner Member

So do not post that on public forums? I will make sure I never do that. :)

• Funny x 2
  17. But_dave

But_dave Member

My first SC visit was not charged - assumed that was due to the 240 mile distance home (no delivery ctr close) - but could be that is just normal as I had seen other comments on first visit charges missing

18. Aellinsar

Aellinsar Member

I just used a SC for the first time ~100 miles from home. 21 minutes and was charger $3.41.

I worked out the cost and up to ~80% capacity the supercharger costs about the same amount as charging at home costs (Columbus, OH electricity rates). SO the price seems fair to me.

19. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

I've also had many instances during which I was not charged for my charge. This happens even in popular Supercharger stalls in which I've definitely gotten charged for my charging before. Seems to be a Tesla bug, but I'm not complaining. :)

20. UltralightBeam

Maybe they are testing their systems with an “on/off” electronic switch of some sort for individual vehicles? Ie: in the future implement something like free supercharging for the month you took delivery gift or something