Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding was that the Model 3 receives no free supercharging, whether that be in the form of kwH credit or free visits, etc.

As I presently cannot charge at my own home (my 15 amp outlets are not grounded, and I do not yet have a 30 amp hookup in garage until Thursday) my only recourse has been to supercharge when needed. Twice since I got the car.

So far, my bill is $0.00, after consuming 75 kwH.

Have I missed something with Supercharging being free or is something amiss? To be clear, I am not complaining, the result is just not meeting expectation of having to pay.

Also, not clear on the idle fee explanation: Does this only apply if all or nearly all supercharger stalls are occupied? First time supercharging, the car finished and I did not move until 20 minutes after that (was eating dinner). But I was also the only car there.

My understanding was that the Model 3 receives no free supercharging, whether that be in the form of kwH credit or free visits, etc.

As I presently cannot charge at my own home (my 15 amp outlets are not grounded, and I do not yet have a 30 amp hookup in garage until Thursday) my only recourse has been to supercharge when needed. Twice since I got the car.

So far, my bill is $0.00, after consuming 75 kwH.

Have I missed something with Supercharging being free or is something amiss? To be clear, I am not complaining, the result is just not meeting expectation of having to pay.

Also, not clear on the idle fee explanation: Does this only apply if all or nearly all supercharger stalls are occupied? First time supercharging, the car finished and I did not move until 20 minutes after that (was eating dinner). But I was also the only car there.
There isn't any free Supercharging. I've used it a few times on my road trips so I can definitely confirm that it costs money for the Model 3. However, their system isn't perfect so I have noticed a couple of times when they didn't charge my account.

Idle fees are charged if the station is at least 50% full when your charge is completed. There is a 5 min. grace period.
Supercharger Idle Fee

• Informative
Reactions: sooner
Some supercharging stations have deals with the property owners to cover the electricity cost of supercharging. So until those deals expires or they change those deals, certain stations will remain free. Tesla cannot make money off of those locations from the owner's electricity. Maybe they might negotiate a deal with Tesla down the road where they get a cut of the profits of the charging fees then I can see free supercharging for all begin to charge fees for non-unlimited free supercharging Teslas. Overall this is the way to go forward because those stations that are free will always be congested by those model 3s and such due to being free and people charging there all the time.

Some supercharging stations have deals with the property owners to cover the electricity cost of supercharging. So until those deals expires or they change those deals, certain stations will remain free. Tesla cannot make money off of those locations from the owner's electricity. Maybe they might negotiate a deal with Tesla down the road where they get a cut of the profits of the charging fees then I can see free supercharging for all begin to charge fees for non-unlimited free supercharging Teslas. Overall this is the way to go forward because those stations that are free will always be congested by those model 3s and such due to being free and people charging there all the time.
These are probably destination chargers, not Superchargers

My first SC visit was not charged - assumed that was due to the 240 mile distance home (no delivery ctr close) - but could be that is just normal as I had seen other comments on first visit charges missing

I just used a SC for the first time ~100 miles from home. 21 minutes and was charger $3.41.

I worked out the cost and up to ~80% capacity the supercharger costs about the same amount as charging at home costs (Columbus, OH electricity rates). SO the price seems fair to me.