Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 supposedly seen on East Coast in Montgomery County, Maryland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of mine who bears with me when I keep on talking about my reservation (not so much anymore) says he believes that he saw a model 3. Smaller than an S, matte black finish, Tesla T on front, no grill. Anyone else see it on this coast?

I recall seeing someone else mention thinking they saw one (maybe in New Jersey?) sometime in the past week. I can't find the thread where it was mentioned.

I would guess it wasn't a Model 3, but it's very possible they would do cross country testing at this point.

A friend of mine who bears with me when I keep on talking about my reservation (not so much anymore) says he believes that he saw a model 3. Smaller than an S, matte black finish, Tesla T on front, no grill. Anyone else see it on this coast?
Someone posted a few months ago saying they saw one of the Model 3 prototypes in Florida. In that case, and in the case reported by your friend, I am dubious. It is not plausible to me that Tesla would take one of the Model 3 prototypes to the East Coast for some secret purpose that did not involve publicizing or marketing the car given that Tesla's HQ, factory, and Design Studio are all on the West Coast.

I think what your friend saw was a new Model S (with the new nose design) that was wrapped in matte black. I've seen one like that in the area where I live. People wrap their cars in all kinds of unusual ways.

So my thought is that for people who don't routinely follow all things Tesla, it would be easy to see an X from a distance and mistake it for a 3. Wait, wait.... Don't slam me yet!

My point is that the S is a very sleek car, and it's pretty unmistakeable. But someone who sees a less sleek Tesla from a distance might recognize that it's not an S and just assume that it must be a 3. If you're not right up close to the X it can be very deceiving, and the eyes can play tricks.

So I'd say these spotters are seeing Model X's.

So my thought is that for people who don't routinely follow all things Tesla, it would be easy to see an X from a distance and mistake it for a 3. Wait, wait.... Don't slam me yet!

My point is that the S is a very sleek car, and it's pretty unmistakeable. But someone who sees a less sleek Tesla from a distance might recognize that it's not an S and just assume that it must be a 3. If you're not right up close to the X it can be very deceiving, and the eyes can play tricks.

Yep. An X or a refreshed S. There were several similar threads of the 3 being "spotted" in Texas, Florida, etc. right after it was unveiled but most were of the opinion that they were not really the 3.

Exactly!

And if one would apply some logical thinking, there are only a handful of Model 3 prototypes in existence today, so the odds of having one of them making a stealth appearance outside of California and Reno are nil. That unfamiliar looking Tesla spotted was most likely a Model X.

Last edited: