Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 suspension & kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been following the Model 3 for a long time, and would like to make a decision about whether to pull the trigger on a model 3LR soon. I am coming from a prius, and interested in getting a high quality, modern EV. (I also looked at the Leaf and Bolt; but in most ways the Model 3 seems superior.) But, I have one concern.

I understand from reading many reviews and posts that the suspension is very firm, befitting a sports car. I'm sure I can get used to that myself, but I'm concerned about how it works with kids. My main use will be to drive early-teen kids around to school and activities (sometimes 30+ minutes each way); sometimes on smooth roads, other times on rough SoCal highways.

Can someone with kids comment on the suspension? Do your kids complain about getting jolted in the back seat or get car sick? Would you hesitate to take a Model 3 from SoCal to San Francisco with kids in the back?

In our prius, my kids sometimes complain about bumpy roads (esp. on long drives or when reading or doing homework in the back seat)... but it is manageable. I'm wondering if the Model 3 would be worse.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Get the 3! You deserve it. Your kids will be fine. I have a 4 and 6 year old. Only one complaint... my 4-year old boy wants me to “zoom” all the time. Haha. My 6-year old girl would much rather the car be in “chill” mode. I went from a Chevy Volt to the 3! Night and day... YOU WILL LOVE IT!!

Reactions: N8Howell33
I've been following the Model 3 for a long time, and would like to make a decision about whether to pull the trigger on a model 3LR soon. I am coming from a prius, and interested in getting a high quality, modern EV. (I also looked at the Leaf and Bolt; but in most ways the Model 3 seems superior.) But, I have one concern.

I understand from reading many reviews and posts that the suspension is very firm, befitting a sports car. I'm sure I can get used to that myself, but I'm concerned about how it works with kids. My main use will be to drive early-teen kids around to school and activities (sometimes 30+ minutes each way); sometimes on smooth roads, other times on rough SoCal highways.

Can someone with kids comment on the suspension? Do your kids complain about getting jolted in the back seat or get car sick? Would you hesitate to take a Model 3 from SoCal to San Francisco with kids in the back?

In our prius, my kids sometimes complain about bumpy roads (esp. on long drives or when reading or doing homework in the back seat)... but it is manageable. I'm wondering if the Model 3 would be worse.

No complaints. Actually my wife and kid didn’t think they like the 3 initially thinking it was too small and not comfortable. They actually like it a lot now. We went on a few short trips.

As for you, you will look for opportunities to drive it like many others who got their 3. Good luck!

My 10 month old goes right to sleep. Model 3 suspension is not an issue.

I also have 3 boys and (7, 4.5 and 2) and they LOVE riding in it, haven't once said a word about the ride. My wife is the only one who has complained about the suspension. It isn't by means bad, it's just sport tuning. On most roads you won't notice a thing, it is only bumpy on already bumpy roads in my experience.

Kids are used to a minivan and an ES350 Lexus. About as non-sporty as you can get. They like the M3. Less room than they're used to, but I figure that's good for them.

They laugh their heads off if I floor it. That never happens in the other cars.

I wish LR was more tuned for family touring.

The suspension is fine for our family, but I wish it was more comfortable on all types of roads. My kids never say anything, they love how fast it goes. But my wife and I think it's too ruff, I keep it to myself and give feedback for LR M3s with Tesla.

I am hopeful they will offer a softer option that can be retrofitted for free or at cost. Listen Tesla. I do feel that our opinions matter with Tesla.

Thank goodness they did this at the end of December, b/c that would have been way to ruff. Nobody likes how they changed the seats for folks who were earlier, b/c that would help ride comfort in the back.

Tesla is telling me that if I change the suspension coils it voids my warranty. Hope they do something sometime for us touring families.

Worst case we have fun with what we have (and were having loads of fun) and that's something like no other car already. Thanks everyone, most times you can't have everything and suspension is a balancing act with many opinions and tastes, plus when you change it effects so much about how the car drives.

Last edited:
I wish LR was more tuned for family touring.

The suspension is fine for our family, but I wish it was more comfortable on all types of roads. My kids never say anything, they love how fast it goes. But my wife and I think it's too ruff, I keep it to myself and give feedback for LR M3s with Tesla.

I am hopeful they will offer a softer option that can be retrofitted for free or at cost.

Thank goodness they did this at the end of December, b/c that would have been way to ruff. Nobody likes how they changed the seats for folks who were earlier, b/c that would help ride comfort in the back.

Tesla is telling me that if I change the suspension coils it voids my warranty. Hope they do something sometime for us touring families.

Worst case we have fun with what we have (and were having loads of fun) and that's something like no other car already. Thanks everyone, most times you can't have everything and suspension is a balancing act with many opinions and tastes, plus when you change it effects so much about how the car drives.

There's air suspension for those people. It's not available yet, so they have to wait. Along with the standard battery people.

It's not realistic to offer every option for everyone. Even the other car companies can't do it. That's why competition is good. BMWs are too firm for a lot of people. Enter Lexus. Sure there are "sport" suspensions, but they're hardly noticeable. Air suspension is the only thing so far that makes it noticeable, but they come with their own reliability (or lack thereof) problems.

I have a 4 and a 2 year old in car seats and they LOVE the car. The suspension is fine. It’s not a Cadillac and if that’s the ride you want then get a Cadillac. This car is meant to be a rival to be the BMW 3 series and Audi A4 and is tuned as such.

Yeah my kids were complaining about the back seat. So here is the before and after. Can't understand them kids these days. So demanding of comfort.
20180728_184050.jpg

20180728_184035.jpg

I went to home depot today and grabbed 3 x 25lb. bags of water softener potassium, I put them in the recess in the trunk and did notice the suspension was more compliant, only the roughest roads with just the driver seems to be a little stiff, its still very well damped and seems perfect to me but when you load down the car with a family you will notice it rides smoother, don't hesitate to get this car! I can't wait for a Tesla pick up so I can dump my Ford!

Yeah my kids were complaining about the back seat. So here is the before and after. Can't understand them kids these days. So demanding of comfort.

Haha. :)

I appreciate all the responses!

I don't need my kids need to be pampered, and I don't need a "cadillac" soft ride. But, a Model 3 is a big purchase for us, and I'm hoping it will be our main car. I don't want to end up feeling like "boy, I wish I had a different car for long trips."

Anyhow, it seems like the great majority either say the firm ride is a total non-issue, or that it is noticeable but not a problem for them. One person in this thread (and a few in other threads, as well as Consumer Reports) think the firm ride is a bit of a downer... even though they like the car overall.
-- It is interesting that there is a real diversity of views. I wonder if it is just different tastes, or if some cars (even after Dec 2017) handle differently?

In any case, the comments are definitely reassuring overall!

We find it very comfortable. No issues at default settings, although per Elon if you want more comfort you can drop tire pressure. “@ElectrekCo @FredericLambert Ride comfort & aero/road noise already better than CR car, which was early production. Wish we could make the car perfect from day 1, but there’s always room for improvement. Highly recommend dropping tire pressure 10% below max to ~39 psi for comfort. Only affects range by ~2%.” I would have no hesitation taking it from SoCal to SF

Do all 3 kids fit ok in the backseat? We have a minivan for longer trips but I’d like to make sure I can fit a 9 years old, 4 year
old, and infant in the backseat for getting around town.

It may depend on your car seats. We have a 5 year old in Britax Pioneer, and 2 year old still rear facing in britax marathon. In our old accord the britax marathon could be in the middle, but in the 3 they have to be at each end of the car. 9yo may need to sit in the middle unless the car seat for the 4 yo is more narrow.