Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Sweet Spot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to replace my S with a 3, I'd love a new S but they aren't coming soon.

When I got my S it at a sweet spot, AP2, free supercharging, no luxury car tax.

Is there a sweet spot on buying a 3, bigger battery is on Wiki but I can't find much out about that, is there any cut off date that got new equipment vs. old equipment?

It's more of a slow incremental set of improvements, there isn't anything like free SuperCharging to put you off the newest versions. Some people are upset that the very newest cars arriving next month won't have ultrasonic parking sensors, but Tesla are doing something based on cameras that no one has experienced yet.

I changed from a 2019 LR to 2022, there are two clear improvements that I benefit from now

1. Most longer trips work out at about 220-230 wh/mile, the 2019 was more like 260-280 wh/mile. I haven't driven through a winter yet but this translates into a clear 50-60 miles more range, or less time charging, or lower cost at SuperChargers. It's significant. I'm hoping the heat pump means that as it gets cold the efficiency gains remain.
2. It's quieter in the cabin, I would say it's now a quiet car whereas the 2019 wasn't really. Maybe this is the newer glass, maybe it's just screwed together better by China.

As a 2022 model it does also have the faster Ryzen CPU in the center console, but other than being slightly snappier there isn't currently any functional difference. Maybe there will be more benefit from that in the future. It also has some kind of in glass heater for the windscreen wipers, but I've no idea when I'll use that.

Personally, I'm happy to now have the external speaker warning system, I know some are keener on making other people mind out for themselves, that came in 2021.

Before that in late 2020 the heat pump, new center console, boot opener and heated wheel. I don't really like hot wheels but may be in a minority, and opening the boot was never a challenge, and I don't really have any reason the center console is better.

My 2019 was an August car so did get the lifetime Premium Connectivity, saving £10/month, it also had the included garage door opener (which they fitted after I complained)

Thanks for the responses, when I got the S one month older saved me on luxury car tax, but still just got me the AP2 and Unlimited supercharging.

Am I right in thinking that the dechroming is the tell tell marker for the current generation of kit or are there some variations in the dechromed versions too?

The range is what I'm looking for, I can't get the S under 290Wh/mile consistantly. The idea of getting that down to 230 would be great.

Reactions: Avendit and Louis0w
Am I right in thinking that the dechroming is the tell tell marker for the current generation of kit or are there some variations in the dechromed versions too?
Lots of changes even within the black trim models which have been around for almost 2 years now.

What model of 3 are you considering, the RWD/SR+, LR or Performance?

When the 3 SR+ became the RWD it gained the 60kwh battery but lost a little performance (0-60 6.0 vs 5.3). However there were some “unicorn” cars from Q4 ‘21 with the bigger battery and the more powerful motor.
LFP batteries in RWD/SR+ make charging easy with 100% daily limit and little degradation. My Q3 SR+ with a 55kwh battery has averaged 210wh/m over its first year/11k miles with a loss of 2% (according to BMS). I get 180 miles winter range up to 250 in summer (300 around town).

However the “sweet spot” in the M3 range IMHO is the 21/22 Long Range with the acceleration boost. It’s fast, leggy and will have the other improvements listed above (heat pump/double glazing etc). It’s not LFP so you’ll only daily charge to 80%, but it’s a 300+ mile car in most weather. The M3P is crazy quick but loses a little efficiency. The M3LR with AB is a sub 4s 0-60 car, which is plenty quick enough for road driving.

2. It's quieter in the cabin, I would say it's now a quiet car whereas the 2019 wasn't really. Maybe this is the newer glass, maybe it's just screwed together better by China.

I swapped from a December 2020 LR (last ones to come out of Fremont, first ones with the double-pane windows) to a June 2022 LR and I would say that the new Chinese one is noticeably quieter and feels more refined. When the ranger came to fit my Homelink module he said that the Chinese ones "have all the wires in the right place and properly tied".

Anecdotal, but I think the Chinese one feels like the car I _should_ have had in the first place.

Really, it could just be some extra soundproofing in the later model, but the ranger's comments made me wonder if they are actually building them better.

(Then I had a failure of the DC<->DC system and the car had to be recovered after the LV battery packed up so... )