Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 t-boned. Need DV Expert, Appraiser and Legal Help in Orange County

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car is <400 miles, never even been washed.. Other driver struck my passenger side rear wheel. Repair cost is surprisingly high and apparently parts are backordered.
Your insurance company will deal with their insurance company. You might try dealing with the insurance company on diminished value before the attorney step. Attorneys like to bill. If they really really lowball then an attorney.

Reactions: SageBrush
Your insurance company will deal with their insurance company. You might try dealing with the insurance company on diminished value before the attorney step. Attorneys like to bill. If they really really lowball then an attorney.
This reminds me of a story ..
A friend of my son suffered a financial loss (I cannot remember details) and did not think he was fairly compensated. His friends wholeheartedly agreed and told him to "lawyer up" so he took the bold step of spamming the community for money ("help") to cover the lawyer expenses.

Any recommendations in Orange County for:
- Diminished/Diminuated Value Experts
- Independent Appraisers
- Independent Insurance Agents
- Attorneys

I used St Lucie appraisal u can do all thru emails and they write the letter to send to other insurance ..it’s surprisingly easy to do DV claim don’t need attorney in CA u need other party to assume liability first as u can’t claim DV against ur own insurance company ...

The other party hasn't assumed liability. Their insurance will need to make a determination. I didn't want to involve my insurance because of the DV topic, rental car coverage and other issues. Maybe my insurance can help with the liability determination and then step away again?

The other party hasn't assumed liability. Their insurance will need to make a determination. I didn't want to involve my insurance because of the DV topic, rental car coverage and other issues. Maybe my insurance can help with the liability determination and then step away again?

I'm going through something similar although the damage is less severe than yours. I've been dealing with the at fault party's insurance and its like pulling teeth. I'm considering just filing with my own insurance since the other party admitted fault. I heard somewhere that they can't raise your premiums for a not at fault accident in California, but I'm not sure about that.

Good luck with your claim.

Reactions: derkan
I'm going through something similar although the damage is less severe than yours. I've been dealing with the at fault party's insurance and its like pulling teeth. I'm considering just filing with my own insurance since the other party admitted fault. I heard somewhere that they can't raise your premiums for a not at fault accident in California, but I'm not sure about that.
At least in Colorado, not claiming with your insurance is far from a fool-proof way to keep your accident hidden from your insurer. Licensed repair shops report all repairs to a central registry, as does each insurer. You may fly under the radar until the next renewal when the registry is checked as part of due diligence.

• Helpful
Reactions: 2012MS85

I would file claim with your insurance give other parties info and let them handle the subrogation and assumption of liability ..that is easiest ..otherwise other party will slow walk u thru process

CA is a no fault state so since this wasn’t ur fault ur insurance can’t jack ur rates

At least in Colorado, not claiming with your insurance is far from a fool-proof way to keep your accident hidden from your insurer. Licensed repair shops report all repairs to a central registry, as does each insurer. You may fly under the radar until the next renewal when the registry is checked as part of due diligence.

Poor wording on my part. I did file a claim with my insurance, but decided to proceed directly with at fault party's insurance for damages and payment.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Hey this was one of my questions too: Can you file a claim with your own company and then did you "withdraw/cancel" it? Is that easy?

Yes you can file with your company once your insurance does investigation they will subtogate back to the other insurance company ..only thing is you can’t file DV against your own insurance .....you don’t need to withdraw cancel anything let your insurance do the work for you ..you have probably been paying premiums to them for some time get something for it

Yes you can file with your company once your insurance does investigation they will subtogate back to the other insurance company ..only thing is you can’t file DV against your own insurance .....you don’t need to withdraw cancel anything let your insurance do the work for you ..you have probably been paying premiums to them for some time get something for it
Right, ideally I would want my insurance company to help determine that I'm at zero fault, and then let me handle everything else (DV, LOU/rental, declaring total loss) directly with the other insurance company..

So the question is: Can I claim DV against the other insurance company, while I have a claim open with my insurance as well?

Last edited:
Right, ideally I would want my insurance company to help determine that I'm at zero fault, and then let me handle everything else (DV, LOU/rental, declaring total loss) directly with the other insurance company..

So the question is: Can I claim DV against the other insurance company, while I have a claim open with my insurance as well?

Yes, once fault is determined you can choose whether to proceed with the claim through your insurance or the other party's (if the other party is determined to be at fault.) My experience dealing with the other party's insurance so far has been very frustrating and time consuming.

Based on what my own insurance company rep told me, I can re-open my now closed claim if I find that at fault party's insurance is not responsive, which I am seriously considering.

Hope this helps.

Your insurance should handle everything except for DV ..even if ur not at fault ..that’s why when I got hit awhile back I just opened claim with USAA and let them do the dirty work for rental getting car fixed etc ..only thing u need to do is open a claim and provide enough detail for your insurance to start process with other party ..if u go direct to the other party they will slow things down and low ball your work..you can’t start DV until you get a good estimate process like this

1) open claim with insurance
2) choose body shop and get tear down estimate
3) proceed with work
4) there may be additional supplementals that come during repair
5) get final repair bill and submit that to a DV appraiser
6) DV appraiser will prepare letters send off to other party insurance assuming they took liability
7) wait for the fat check to arrive

As others have said, "Call your insurance company." Have them do the work, that is why you pay your premiums. I've done the leg work myself years ago for a vehicle that was totaled, and I was injured. It took over a year to resolve, and I can't think of one thing that I gained from it.

Now I have two teenage drivers, one has been in two accidents, 1 at fault, the other not. My insurance company AAA, was a dream to work with. I am too old to deal with this cr@p anymore.

If I knew for a fact that my insurance company will declare the vehicle a total loss, it would be a no-brainer. If I let my insurance do everything, it means they won't consider DV or LOU, and probably try to go the repair route which will take 3 months, I'll only have a cheapo rental car (for the first 30 days) then I'm without car, and once I get the car finally back its resale value will be shot. It's not that I enjoy dealing with insurance, but my car only had 300 miles on it.

BTW AAA premiums for Teslas in California are ridiculously high (2.5 times others), otherwise have been with AAA for 20+ years.

. If I let my insurance do everything, it means they won't consider DV or LOU,

Not entirely correct ..your insurance can care less about DV/LOU as they won’t pay it’s the other one that does ...highly unlikely you will get loss as your car is so new there is usually some ratio like damages need to exceed 25% of value of car since your car is so new may not meeet that threshold ...u need to get off forums and file a claim ;)