Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I were to pick up my Model 3 on June 25th, and I paid, for example, $3,000 in federal taxes. Would I receive the $3,000 in tax credit, or would I not get any of it? Because in that case, I think it would be better to wait until July.

To be clear, the credit is applied against your entire 2019 tax liability. It’s not about how much tax you’ve paid or not by 6/30. You’ll get it as a credit against your 1040 form when you file it in early 2020.

Also, to clear up a misconception - it has nothing to do with whether you owe the IRS, or get a refund when you file. It’s only about what your tax liability was for all of 2019.

If I sell the model 3 before the end of the year 2019, can I still claim a tax credit?
I purchased it in the beginning year of 2019. Does anyone know the answer?
Yes. For the federal tax credit, you can buy it and resell it. There is a stipulation that you can't apply for the tax credit if you bought the car knowing you were going to sell it. Seeing as you owned it several months, it shouldn't be an issue. We've claimed the federal tax credit 10 times over the last 3 years and have already sold 5 of those vehicles.

Yes. For the federal tax credit, you can buy it and resell it. There is a stipulation that you can't apply for the tax credit if you bought the car knowing you were going to sell it. Seeing as you owned it several months, it shouldn't be an issue. We've claimed the federal tax credit 10 times over the last 3 years and have already sold 5 of those vehicles.
So I don't have to wait until I file the tax return? Thanks.