Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Teardown - What's under the Frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I added a 3rd video:

Here's the playlist: Model 3 - YouTube

As time permits, I'll add more.

There indeed are zero fuses on the 12v side. All circuit protection is performed solid-state, which in practice means a transistor (MOSFET) is used to switch all the loads, and the body controllers monitor the current going though each of these and in the event of an overload, it just switches off the transistor. It's much faster and safer, and allows a more reliable and easy to diagnose car. It is more expensive, but this was needed to make the M3 fault tolerant to achieve full self driving with confidence.

There indeed are zero fuses on the 12v side. All circuit protection is performed solid-state, which in practice means a transistor (MOSFET) is used to switch all the loads, and the body controllers monitor the current going though each of these and in the event of an overload, it just switches off the transistor. It's much faster and safer, and allows a more reliable and easy to diagnose car. It is more expensive, but this was needed to make the M3 fault tolerant to achieve full self driving with confidence.

Wow. That's possibly a bigger change to how a car works than anything else Tesla has done to date. I guess there's no more trying to decide where a slow battery drain comes from. :)

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200

So every load or group of loads has a current monitor device?

All circuit protection is performed solid-state, which in practice means a transistor (MOSFET) is used to switch all the loads, and the body controllers monitor the current going though each of these and in the event of an overload, it just switches off the transistor.

On reflection, this actually makes a fair amount of sense for Tesla. Almost everything on the car is being switched electronically by the control computers anyway - so they already had to have the transistor in most cases and eliminating the fuses saves them cost and complexity as well as enabling faster easier diagnosis.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Not sure how I feel about the spin on oil filter for the drive unit. A transaxle shouldn't be generating that much debris that it would need a filter.

That surprised me. I don't think any S or X has an external oil filter for the gearboxes (not even sure they have an internal one.) I don't remember having seen the separate recirculation pump for the gearbox lubricant on the S/X drive units, either.

I'm sure Tesla didn't add cost and weight without good reason, given how far they've gone to save on both everywhere in the car, so it makes me wonder why they did it.

I'm sure Tesla didn't add cost and weight without good reason, given how far they've gone to save on both everywhere in the car, so it makes me wonder why they did it.

I'm wondering if they went cheap on the gears and need extra good lubrication to ensure long life. Also a cheaper material would potentially be more prone to spalling/flaking material off, so it would be prudent to have a filter and oil circulation system in that case.

Total guesses though