Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Temperature Data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
Full sun today, ambient temperature 82F (28C), I took my handy infra-red thermometer gun (love that thing) out for some shooting.
IR.jpg

Car is in the sun, mostly directly towards windshield and roof now although towards the side of the car earlier. Windows are 1/3 open, sun shade on windshield
Skin: 27C
Concrete driveway shaded by tree: 29C
Concrete driveway in the sun: 44C
Front black seat in shade: 40C
Car roof outside, in direct sunlight: 42C
Car roof inside: 50C
Silver metal: 42C
Sunshade exterior facing: 40C

Interesting numbers. My guesses ahead of time were poor. It appears that the greenhouse effect is strong ( probably not from the roof) even on a windy day and with windows partly open, and the roof tint is an insulator.

yep - the roof is pretty good at blocking the worst of the heat.
The biggest heat gain culprit is probably that great big windshield that can't be tinted.

<Archer GIF: Can't? Or won't?>

"5. A clear (un-tinted) UV film is allowed anywhere on the front windshield without a medical exemption being required."

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/consumerinfo/windowTint.htm

With a high end film it's mostly NOT the visual tinting that blocking the heat radiation, there's not a lot of difference in heat blocking as you range between 5% and 90%. So you go with as clear as is available (I believe normally 90% nominal) and, as far as I've been able to gather, you're good. You certainly won't be bothered by LEO unless they've looking very, very hard for an excuse to.

Caveat here is I'm not a lawyer and if it was out of bounds modification you may end up in a bad situation if involved in an accident, so checking with an attorney in the appropriate area (traffic/accident law) isn't a bad thing to do. I'll probably try do that before I commit to it when I take delivery and get my tinting down (wife didn't want her front tinted at all). I won't be surprised if the tint installer says "sign this waiver to CMA" but that wouldn't phase me much.

P.S. Definitely don't install the cheaper films. Some of those discolor and darken over time, with odd colours. If you also wear polarized lens glasses, it could produce some odd "rainbow" artifacts at some angles so check as appropriate there. I don't have an issue with my Maui Jims on the side windows of wife's current car.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Twiglett