Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 TeslaCam USB Port May Have Fried my Memory Card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went ahead and bought them Samsung Pro Endurance as I read it was the best of many tested in outdoor surveillance cameras. The only downside is they only go up to 128 GB, in fact many of the endurance’s are offered only in smaller capacities. I leave my trusty 16 GB USB stick in the car for emergencies if things break or I run out of storage. 128 is plenty, as I only drive the car a few times per week and don’t Sentry in my garage.

Removable flash media isn't used in data centers. These are consumer grade devices which should have some level of tolerance for "extreme" temps.

That first sentence is not entirely true. In my job, I occasionally work in a data center, and removable flash media are used there. They aren't typically used as a primary storage device, though, the way Tesla uses them for music and TeslaCam. In a data center, they're likely to be used fairly infrequently for things like backups of configuration settings, firmware updates, booting diagnostic tools, and maybe even OS installations. These tasks can usually be done over a network connection, but sometimes it's easier to do it with a USB flash drive.

That said, I agree with your overall point, that the primary uses of USB flash drives are in homes, offices, and even in cars or in the great outdoors. Data center use is likely a tiny fraction of the use-hours of these devices.

So what would suggest? Is there anything that will work below 32F?

Like a number of others on here I went with the Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB for my second microSD card that I have so I can switch them out on occasion and still have coverage. Here's the info on this Samsung card which is designed to work in dashcams. MicroSDXC PRO Endurance Memory Card w Adapter 128GB Memory & Storage - MB-MJ128GA/AM | Samsung US Operating temp ranges from -25C/-13F to 85C/185F and can be found at the bottom of the webpage. My other microSD card is a Blackvue 128GB (we have a Blackvue dashcam in our MS) and it's worked flawlessly for us in that usage.

128GB is a good amount of storage space as the TeslaCam buffer (5.4GB) will overwrite itself. Each saved file (manually from TeslaCam or automatically using Sentry mode) will be 0.9GB. The real variable in storage is dependent on where you park with Sentry mode on as it gets triggered by sound vibration but also motion around the car. A busy parking lot depending how you park your car can see a number of files written. But easy enough to swap out cards occasionally and delete them. Reformatting the card occasionally should also be done.

Like a number of others on here I went with the Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB for my second microSD card that I have so I can switch them out on occasion and still have coverage. Here's the info on this Samsung card which is designed to work in dashcams. MicroSDXC PRO Endurance Memory Card w Adapter 128GB Memory & Storage - MB-MJ128GA/AM | Samsung US Operating temp ranges from -25C/-13F to 85C/185F and can be found at the bottom of the webpage. My other microSD card is a Blackvue 128GB (we have a Blackvue dashcam in our MS) and it's worked flawlessly for us in that usage.

128GB is a good amount of storage space as the TeslaCam buffer (5.4GB) will overwrite itself. Each saved file (manually from TeslaCam or automatically using Sentry mode) will be 0.9GB. The real variable in storage is dependent on where you park with Sentry mode on as it gets triggered by sound vibration but also motion around the car. A busy parking lot depending how you park your car can see a number of files written. But easy enough to swap out cards occasionally and delete them. Reformatting the card occasionally should also be done.

I ordered the SSD card I posted above and it's on its way. Should I cancel it and buy the Samsung endurance Micro SD?

I ordered the SSD card I posted above and it's on its way. Should I cancel it and buy the Samsung endurance Micro SD?

Your decision but on the Amazon description it does say “This SSD is designed for use in desktop and notebook computer workloads and is not intended for server environments.” don’t think dashcam operations would be appropriate use either. I know a few people are chosing the SSD route so at some point there will be feedback on their use.

Your decision but on the Amazon description it does say “This SSD is designed for use in desktop and notebook computer workloads and is not intended for server environments.” don’t think dashcam operations would be appropriate use either. I know a few people are chosing the SSD route so at some point there will be feedback on their use.

Just saw this on the amazon review for the Samsung Endurance Micro SD. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 4.50.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 4.50.36 PM.png
    161.5 KB · Views: 96
Just saw this on the amazon review for the Samsung Endurance Micro SD. Thoughts?

I’ll let you know. I think he was just was stuck with the Windows limitation. There are third party formatters or use of DISKPART should work. I’ll try on mine tonight, although I typically use a Mac (have both PC and mac). I think it was user error, but I’ll report back as mine arrives by end of day from a amazon.

It is just plain wrong wrong. The 32GB FAT32 limit is a limit of the standard format utility in Windows, not a limit of this card or TeslaCam. You can format larger cards to FAT32 using other operating systems or using third-party tools on Windows. I'm using a Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB for TeslaCam.

Reactions: whatthe2