TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Test Mule with 70kWh Battery

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Az_Rael, Feb 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  2. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Without actually doing any math, 230 Wh/mi seems optimistic.

• Like x 1
  3. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Hmm. 80% of the size, 87.5% of the drag coefficient. That implies ~70% of the aerodynamic loads - so if all of the ~300 Wh/mile of an S at freeway speeds were aero, potentially ~210 Wh/mile.

That overpredicts the advnatage, of course, since the 3 won't have only 68% of the rolling resistance presumably - the partially steel construction should mean it's comparatively heavy for the "80% size". But freeway speeds are aero dominated, so I'd say the 230 Wh/mile is aggressive but plausible.

4. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

I've got nothing to speculate about, but this news just makes me really happy.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1