Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - The Amazing, the not-so-amazing and the ugly!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, I love your photo! The blues and the whites complement and contrast so nicely. Gorgeous car and beautiful mountain!!

The autopilot sensors to have hands on wheels! it comes on despite of having hands on wheels
This has been my number one complaint. A little sweat on the hands makes it worse. One workaround is to quickly scroll up/down on the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel, the one that controls maximum speed on Autopilot. Even so, we really appreciate Autopilot!

During our road trip - I had the chance to humble a Dodge charger SRT. I drove until 108 MPH at which point he gave up, not able to overtake - Boy, was it fun :)
Woo hoo! But possibly not a smart admission to make on a public forum. :D

Wow, I love your photo! The blues and the whites complement and contrast so nicely. Gorgeous car and beautiful mountain!!

This has been my number one complaint. A little sweat on the hands makes it worse. One workaround is to quickly scroll up/down on the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel, the one that controls maximum speed on Autopilot. Even so, we really appreciate Autopilot!

Woo hoo! But possibly not a smart admission to make on a public forum. :D

Everything we do with these cars is recorded. If you race a car and go 108mph there are 3 cameras recording and I am sure the car logs car data. If you don't get pulled over by the blue and red and don't get in a wreck. really who cares. If you do wreck, the evidence is going to be stacked hard against you. So post what you want. This isn't flying, the FAA isn't going to start an investigation on you because you posted a video going 108mph and told people about it on a forum.

• Helpful
Reactions: Fiddler
We have the same M3, with the silver wheels.

I second the wireless charging omission. Stating not that many phones have it is a very Apple-centric view, as there are hundreds of millions of Android phones with wireless charging.

I also like a car at the level of an M3 should have HUD, but not really a big deal for us.

Yep, the car continued to be engaged in autopilot, atlhough - without the screen aid, it was unnerving.
Something to keep in mind for when things like these glitches happen is to hit the mic button and say 'bug report' then you can call support and they will know exactly when something happened and can look thru the logs and let you know what happened/why and create a real bug for it if it isn't a known issue/bug.

Great review. I am a new 3P owner and feel the same about most of your observations. I love the interior. A HUD would be the icing on the cake in my opinion. Just perfection. Here’s why- my car goes fast...really fast. If I’m passing someone or pulling into traffic and need to get up to speed- I can exceed the speed limit quickly and by a lot. A HUD would not only help me manage speed but also keep an eye on the road (I.e. law enforcement). Just takes a second to get tagged. Having that in my front field of vision would be helpful. In my opinion of course.
Agreed. I got my first speeding ticket in 20 years the other day due to this. I have gotten so used to just being able to zip around people that I was instantly going 96 and saw the police car. Thanks to the regen when I took my foot off the accelerator he clocked me at 82. It was a good reminder. I am just going to let her drive me to work from now on and not push my luck.

Agreed. I got my first speeding ticket in 20 years the other day due to this. I have gotten so used to just being able to zip around people that I was instantly going 96 and saw the police car. Thanks to the regen when I took my foot off the accelerator he clocked me at 82. It was a good reminder. I am just going to let her drive me to work from now on and not push my luck.

Man, that stinks. Sorry that happened to you. Just today I passed two sneaky cops running traffic from somewhat hidden positions (top of hills after crest). Thank goodness I was fiddling with screen on the first pass (still very new to me) and the second I was behind someone driving very slow. Both times I might have been doing 80+ with this car. It gets going so fast and very smoothly...

Man, that stinks. Sorry that happened to you. Just today I passed two sneaky cops running traffic from somewhat hidden positions (top of hills after crest). Thank goodness I was fiddling with screen on the first pass (still very new to me) and the second I was behind someone driving very slow. Both times I might have been doing 80+ with this car. It gets going so fast and very smoothly...
Yeah. It is way too easy to go fast quickly. I had become complacent because I know where they hide normally. He probably wasn't too happy with me shaking my head and saying 'just because you Can go fast doesn't mean you Should.' He gruffly just told me how fast I was going and asked for my license and registration.

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Snip....My wife's commute is brutal! 4 day/week - 90 miles RT with the return trip consuming close to 70 mins on average.
Great review. Thank you for driving electric. BTW, I have a friend with that identical commute, probably works with your wife. He’s going on eight years, 90,000 mi in a blue 2011 LEAF.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: Eight bars and gets home on LBW everyday. Thankfully, he was able to telecommute or take vacation during the worst days this winter.:eek::eek:

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
I would add one more issue to the ugly. My experience has been the customer service is not good. My original charging cable was defective. It took months to have it replaced. First technician was sent from El Paso Texas to determine that there was a problem. Then it took another month to replace the cable. It would've been much more efficient just to send it to me. In general getting through to customer service people is difficult and very time consuming. There is no easy way to just get a quick answer to simple question. It took several weeks to have a replacement windshield delivered after the windshield was cracked.
It seems like Tesla has not kept up with enough personnel to deal with all of the new cars it is producing. Otherwise I love the car.