Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 The Model 3 trunk harness recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure spend twice the money on a car that could potentially have the same problem because you can tell the future, also ignoring the fact the S hasnt been on sale in New Zealand for well over a year and wont be here this year either.

why are you in our bit of this forum at all?

Reactions: akidesir
Okay, you're right. Camera has to be in the trunk lid. The fix should do the trick. But had I known of these issues I would of bought a Model S.
Lol, you realise the camera for the Model S is also in the boot lid and will also be subjected to movement, right? Infact, every car that has a boot that opens will have the same...

You're really making a big issue about a very minor thing. I feel sorry for the grocery workers in your area.

Hey guys. Just as a PSA -- for this NHTSA recall, i suggest NOT doing it unless your camera stops working. I had Tesla mobile service drop by to do a tire rotation and the guy suggested doing the recall since he had an extra harness. (might as well get it done....)

anyhow, they ended up messing up the install, scratching the hell out of the trunk paint, and then ghosting me after in the classic Tesla manner we all have come to love and embrace. (insert :rolleyes: here). he ended up using a flathead bent screwdriver to pry off the tabs holding the trunk panel on, so lots of gouges in the paint. Pretty upsetting for multiple reasons, but moreover the lack of accountability nor caring.

dont do it.

Hey guys. Just as a PSA -- for this NHTSA recall, i suggest NOT doing it unless your camera stops working. I had Tesla mobile service drop by to do a tire rotation and the guy suggested doing the recall since he had an extra harness. (might as well get it done....)

anyhow, they ended up messing up the install, scratching the hell out of the trunk paint, and then ghosting me after in the classic Tesla manner we all have come to love and embrace. (insert :rolleyes: here). he ended up using a flathead bent screwdriver to pry off the tabs holding the trunk panel on, so lots of gouges in the paint. Pretty upsetting for multiple reasons, but moreover the lack of accountability nor caring.

dont do it.
Sorry that you had a bad experience with this.

One more PSA. If your backup camera is starting to fail, especially when slowly opening/closing the trunk (or has failed), do the following:
  1. If you are in warranty, report it right away. Sure, it may be fixed in the next software update, but it could be a hardware issue. This way you have a paper trail if your warranty expires.
  2. If you are out of warranty, keep in mind they may not fix the issue in some cases. Specifically, if you have a black coax cable (no yellow stripe) and the harness has no visual wear, then they reinforce the harness, but not replace the cable. You can check the coax cable by gently removing the boot at the top (see recall bulletin): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCRIT-21V00D-7649.pdf, p. 2. If you have the yellow stripe, they will replace the cable, which is good.
If you have a failing black cable with no visible wear on the harness, you may want to wait until you get visible wear. Or you may want to pay to fix it right away so your SO stops yelling at you to get it fixed :).

A final option: follow this excellent thread about doing your own repair: Temporary, non-destructive, $8 fix for back up camera issue (~2 hours work). I'll probably go that route.