Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 thru Carvana

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone has bought a used Tesla thru Carvana ? Or is it better to buy 1 thru Tesla

I just went through this process last week. I will say that if Tesla had offered me more for my trade-in.. I would have gone through them no questions asked. Carvana is demanding quite a premium for their used models (granted the 3's have inherently depreciated at a much slower rate than most cars). The ONLY reason I went through them was due to the 5K dollar difference in trade-in value of my previous vehicle.

Cons:
The Carvana Reps know nothing about the vehicles you are interested in. I had some questions regarding autopilot (my car was listed with EAP which is no longer available on Model 3's. it's either AP or FSD). Carvana was unable to answer any info regarding it. Thankfully Tesla was kind enough to give me the information over the phone when I provided the VIN number.

My car did not have a J1772 adapter when it was delivered. This is the adapter needed to use many common public charging stations.
When you purchase through 3rd party, you have to wait for Tesla to register the new vehicle under your account (AKA no supercharging or Tesla App usage until this is completed).

Pros:
They offered me much more for my trade-in. It was fairly painless (provided a few documents, forwarded them my financing info from my bank, and I had the car in my possession 6 days later).

Overall.. If it were any other vehicle, I would probably go through them again. When I decide to replace my Tesla... I'll be going through Tesla next time. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

I am currently in the process of buying a model 3 LR dual from Carvana. It's been a long process waiting on shipping. Same story as the original poster, they know nothing about the car and can't help you with the options. I have been struggling to figure out exactly what the car has and when I called Tesla they refused to tell me anything about the car.

As a note, they offered around 3k more for my trade compared to Tesla so that is why I decided to go with Carvana.

I am currently in the process of buying a model 3 LR dual from Carvana. It's been a long process waiting on shipping. Same story as the original poster, they know nothing about the car and can't help you with the options. I have been struggling to figure out exactly what the car has and when I called Tesla they refused to tell me anything about the car.

As a note, they offered around 3k more for my trade compared to Tesla so that is why I decided to go with Carvana.

This.

I've been going back and forth between Carvan and Tesla- debating SR+, MR, and LR RWD... Carvana knows nothing about these cars and often the descriptions are incorrect (shows Mid Range, but is actually an SR+; shows AWD when it's RWD; no mention of autopilot or EAP).

And many times they are sitting with 0% showing on the battery (whether that is an issue or not lol).

Reactions: Eddie1424
Will Carvana at least go out of their way to take pictures of the center screen to show you details about the car?

I wouldn't expect Carvana to know anything about any of the cars they are selling. They sell every make, and cars to them are like cattle - just move on down the road.

I decided to buy used but ran into the same issue with Carvana that other people have brought up, in that the cars are not adequately described in terms of autopilot options. When I inquired on a particular car I was told to just buy it and if it was not what I wanted I could always return it in the 7-day period. Umm no thanks...

I ended up buying a car 3rd party off of Only Used Tesla | A Place Exclusively Dedicated To Buying And Selling Used Teslas

Had a much better idea of what you are getting vs Carvana, and at least when I was looking the prices were much better than used through Tesla.

I bought mine through Vroom, very similar to Carvanna. I purchased at the end of Feb and received it on March 11th. It seemed like there were long periods of no information coming in, which I didn't like, but I had direct access to my sales person and could call when I wanted an update. Other than that it's pretty much the same as buying from a used car dealership, but you don't get to drive off the lot in your new car right away. I tried to buy used locally but I was specifically looking for a Performance Model 3 and those are a little more difficult to find than the other models. In the the end I got exactly what I was looking for, so waiting a few weeks was worth it in retrospect.

Vroom provided a lot of internal and external pictures of the car. My main focus was on some of the screen shots they provided which indicated to me that the car had Enhanced Autopilot, HomeLink and was a Performance model (even though they had listed it as a LR model). You will find that not many used car dealership know how to classify the different Tesla options properly, so it's best to know how to identify the things you are looking for and have them send you additional pictures for your verification.

Will Carvana at least go out of their way to take pictures of the center screen to show you details about the car?

I wouldn't expect Carvana to know anything about any of the cars they are selling. They sell every make, and cars to them are like cattle - just move on down the road.

They mostly only have the "about page" that shows the trim, mileage, and VIN.

And you can decline acceptance at delivery of it doesn't have the features you thought it did.

Interestingly, when I bought from Tesla, Carvana was on their list of trade-in offers they'd match. Is this no longer the case?
I don’t think Tesla matches any offers any more... though I should look into that. Carvana is offering $38k for my 2019 SR+ with ~7k miles and Tesla is offering $30k. Would love the sales tax advantage for the trade in, but it certainly doesn’t make up an $8k lower trade value...

I just went through this process last week. I will say that if Tesla had offered me more for my trade-in.. I would have gone through them no questions asked. Carvana is demanding quite a premium for their used models (granted the 3's have inherently depreciated at a much slower rate than most cars). The ONLY reason I went through them was due to the 5K dollar difference in trade-in value of my previous vehicle.

Cons:
The Carvana Reps know nothing about the vehicles you are interested in. I had some questions regarding autopilot (my car was listed with EAP which is no longer available on Model 3's. it's either AP or FSD). Carvana was unable to answer any info regarding it. Thankfully Tesla was kind enough to give me the information over the phone when I provided the VIN number.

My car did not have a J1772 adapter when it was delivered. This is the adapter needed to use many common public charging stations.
When you purchase through 3rd party, you have to wait for Tesla to register the new vehicle under your account (AKA no supercharging or Tesla App usage until this is completed).

Pros:
They offered me much more for my trade-in. It was fairly painless (provided a few documents, forwarded them my financing info from my bank, and I had the car in my possession 6 days later).

Overall.. If it were any other vehicle, I would probably go through them again. When I decide to replace my Tesla... I'll be going through Tesla next time. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Cons:

Pros:

Thanks for your information,
I did notice that Carvana was offering me more money for my trade in too , I’m glad you share the information regarding registering information, Do you know how long it takes for the car to get register with Tesla that way I could have access to supercharger ? , I’m thinking about trying it out for 7 days with kids car seat.

Thanks for your information,
I did notice that Carvana was offering me more money for my trade in too , I’m glad you share the information regarding registering information, Do you know how long it takes for the car to get register with Tesla that way I could have access to supercharger ? , I’m thinking about trying it out for 7 days with kids car seat.

I sent them the information on Sunday the 16th. On thursday the 20th, I had not received an email saying the car had been added to my profile. I called Tesla and after being on hold for 45 minutes, I finally spoke to a human who told me to send all of the documents I had already submitted via Tesla.Com to an email address specific for vehicle registration. I had an email about an hour later saying the car had been added to my profile. It took roughly 4-5 days.

I sent them the information on Sunday the 16th. On thursday the 20th, I had not received an email saying the car had been added to my profile. I called Tesla and after being on hold for 45 minutes, I finally spoke to a human who told me to send all of the documents I had already submitted via Tesla.Com to an email address specific for vehicle registration. I had an email about an hour later saying the car had been added to my profile. It took roughly 4-5 days.

Thanks, that's good to know given the 7 day trial period.

Wow that’s a long time ,
I don’t know if I’ll put the request now after you sharing that information