Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tint + Chrome Delete

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

Relatively new Model 3 Owner (Last Couple Months). Love the car, made the switch from a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S and couldn't be happier with the purchase.

Upon receiving my Model 3 I told myself I would not modify or change the appearance of the car as I did not think it was necessary. However, the last couple months I have seen many other Model 3's on the road with both Tinted Windows and the Chrome around the windows blacked out and now have the itch to do the same to my Model 3.

With that being said, I have done my research and found that Mr Tint seems to be the place to go for Tint on the Model 3. Their prices seem a bit high and Santa Clara is a out of my way as I live on the Peninsula in San Mateo. I have found 2 places in my area that are able to do tint. One being Best Image in San Mateo, who quoted me a decent price and also ArtecFab in San Carlos who quoted me hundreds less than Mr Tint and also mentioned they have experience tinting Model 3's. Specifically they mentioned they could tint the rear window in one piece just as Mr Tint explained. In addition, ArtecFab can also Delete the Chrome on the outside of the windows by Vinyl Wrapping or Removing and painting.

My questions for all of you, has anyone used Best Image or ArtecFab for either Tint or Chrome Delete? The prices they quoted and the fact that they are in my back yard are appealing and drawing me to them, however, I would hate to use either of these businesses and be sorry later. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I have my model 3 tinted and I didn't use any of the two businesses you mentioned (I'm in SoCal), but if you are unsure about which to choose, I would definitely go down to their shop and check them out. Almost all of the shops I called to get quotes for and even the one I ended up choosing, were more than happy to invite me to go down to their shop and check out their work.

\
I have my model 3 tinted and I didn't use any of the two businesses you mentioned (I'm in SoCal), but if you are unsure about which to choose, I would definitely go down to their shop and check them out. Almost all of the shops I called to get quotes for and even the one I ended up choosing, were more than happy to invite me to go down to their shop and check out their work.

Thanks for the info and tips!

I actually did visit both, Best Image is a small shop that only does tint. ArtecFab is a very nice and clean performance shop with a division for tint, vinyl and clear bra. Either way, the appearance of the shop doesn't matter to me much. I've been to many hole in the wall places that do excellent work. I am more interested in actual experiences with both places.

Mr. Tint seems to have overall good experiences with the occasional nightmare in between, which is understandable. Just mostly curious as to if anyone has had extremely bad experiences with either places such as breaking pieces, mistreating the cars, etc. I am extremely anal about my car and those who touch it. Anyways, sorry for the rant. Any and all information is greatly appreciated =)

Apparently the rear window is very big and requires a 48" roll of tint which is rare, otherwise they'll have to use two pieces and you'll have a seam. Due to this, I'm seeing quotes about $200 higher than other cars for tinting. Similarly, chrome delete is fairly pricey, there's a lot of chrome and I think the mirrors are a challenge.

That said, I'm doing full tint (front roof as well), powdercoating the 20" and chrome deleting. That'll cost almost a third of the federal credit, but oh well, I think it looks a lot better that way.

Apparently the rear window is very big and requires a 48" roll of tint which is rare, otherwise they'll have to use two pieces and you'll have a seam. Due to this, I'm seeing quotes about $200 higher than other cars for tinting. Similarly, chrome delete is fairly pricey, there's a lot of chrome and I think the mirrors are a challenge.

That said, I'm doing full tint (front roof as well), powdercoating the 20" and chrome deleting. That'll cost almost a third of the federal credit, but oh well, I think it looks a lot better that way.

Yes, the rear window requires a large roll and i would prefer it done in one piece which Mr Tint and ArtecFab informed me they could do. Best Image says its difficult and will need to do it in 2 pieces.

For chrome delete, ive gotten prices for both vinyl wrap and paint, which were not that bad. Still trying to decide which route i want to go for that!

This is correct. Most shops won't invest in the extra wide roll needed to tint the rear window.

I had my side windows done at 30% with Suntek ultra but they didn't have 30% in the wider roll and so the rear was done at 20%. I wouldn't say they charged me much more than I would have paid to get ceramic on any other car I was buying, since I was doing PPF at the same time the cost of tinting was about $500 for all five windows and I got an 8% cash discount on top of that for paying with cash.

I'm thinking about doing a chrome delete as well, but some in brushed metal. Not sure if that will look great to cheesy though.

something like this:
jpeg-imag.jpg

Update - I am dropping my Mod3 off @ ArtecFab in San Carlos Saturday (11/17) @ 9:00am for the tint work!

I decided to go with Solargard Ceramic Tint. 20% on all windows, minus the windshield. I will go with 70% on the windshield.

I will update my thoughts and experience as soon as I get the car back and investigate the quality of work!

Cheers :)