Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tint (pictures?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my car and have a very general question about tinting. Do people just generally tint their cars or is there something special about the Model 3 that makes people want to tint? I've never got any of my cars tinted.
I've have tint on all 25+ cars I've owned since I was 16 years old. It's usually the first thing I do to a new car, unless it was purchased already tinted.

Reactions: Hiline
I tint my cars because it's quite sunny and hot here and the tint makes a big difference. I've got Formula One Pinnacle ceramic at 35% all around minus the roof window. I've got a clear 70% UV film on the windshield too. Paid about $800.

Just got my car and have a very general question about tinting. Do people just generally tint their cars or is there something special about the Model 3 that makes people want to tint? I've never got any of my cars tinted.

in the USA (and australia) its quite common to tint cars - i think a lot of people just do it because it looks cool. If you want a proper european look on your bmw or merc you need to go untinted though - just doesnt look proper european when its tinted. To be honest, in europe its so dark and miserable 8 months in the year that tinting just robs you of extra visibility...

I do think tinting is a really good idea at least in southern USA and in Australia. It probably reduces a bit of eye fatigue driving during daytime and also most tints have UV protection. The sideglass of the car doesnt really block much UVA/UVB (I think for Teslas its... 66%?) so if you drive somewhere where its sunny all the time or in countries with a thin ozone layer i.e. Australia you expose yourself to significant UVA radiation - this does not cause sunburn and is also present in mornings and evenings when the sun usually shines through the sideglass. And dont forget that you might have children in the back.

So I would always fork our a bit of cash to tint the side windows. If you like the european look then you can get a crystalline tint, either 100% VLT or something like 80% throughout. Just dont go too dark or pedestrians/cyclists cant look inside. 35% probably max.

• Informative
in the USA (and australia) its quite common to tint cars - i think a lot of people just do it because it looks cool. If you want a proper european look on your bmw or merc you need to go untinted though - just doesnt look proper european when its tinted. To be honest, in europe its so dark and miserable 8 months in the year that tinting just robs you of extra visibility...

I do think tinting is a really good idea at least in southern USA and in Australia. It probably reduces a bit of eye fatigue driving during daytime and also most tints have UV protection. The sideglass of the car doesnt really block much UVA/UVB (I think for Teslas its... 66%?) so if you drive somewhere where its sunny all the time or in countries with a thin ozone layer i.e. Australia you expose yourself to significant UVA radiation - this does not cause sunburn and is also present in mornings and evenings when the sun usually shines through the sideglass. And dont forget that you might have children in the back.

So I would always fork our a bit of cash to tint the side windows. If you like the european look then you can get a crystalline tint, either 100% VLT or something like 80% throughout. Just dont go too dark or pedestrians/cyclists cant look inside. 35% probably max.
Thank you this is very informative. Do you know how much side tints can block UVA? I don’t want my car looking dark but I definitely care about UVA radiation. If I can block nearly all UV rays without compromising visibility, I’ll be happy to pay for it.

Thank you this is very informative. Do you know how much side tints can block UVA? I don’t want my car looking dark but I definitely care about UVA radiation. If I can block nearly all UV rays without compromising visibility, I’ll be happy to pay for it.

tinting isnt related to darkness. If you only tint with a UV or IR light filter the tint is obviously clear (or crystalline).
Pretty much all reputable tints block over 90% of UVA and UVB which is good enough. IR is a bonus which imho doesnt do much.
If you have a light tint it doesnt look all that tinted anyway. Like a 50% or 70% tint really isnt particularly dark on the side windows and if you live in sunny california it probably reduces eyestrain, particularly for rear passengers.

• Informative