Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tint (pictures?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you can read this if you want too
3M Crystalline vs PINNACLE vs Suntek CIR vs LLumar CTX vs Wincos Tint

I live in Los Angeles, so it gets hot and sunny here most of the days and tint laws here are fairly strict, but cops dont bother you too much for it unless you want to be an example. I put 80 in front windshield (happy), 30 on side windows (happy) and 5 (limo tint) on back and top (not happy, too dark at night). This is one of those things, if where you drive and the time you drive it sunny, dont cheappen out on tint. just spend extra Candians and get yourself top tier. Difference between low cost $400 dyed tint vs $1,000 for top tier ceramic is a lot, but worth it relative to price of the car and the use you get out of it.

its not the cops which are gonna be the problem, its the issue when you cause an accident and insurance will say that you run an illegal tint.

its not the cops which are gonna be the problem, its the issue when you cause an accident and insurance will say that you run an illegal tint.
good point mate. arguably if too bright, tint might help me prevent an accident if sun is not glaring into my eyes. then one would say wear sunglasses in the car. one would say i need corrective lenses, etc. But i can't disagree as you bring up a good point. insurance would need to argue it was because of that. of course if one says "I did not see it being there" then yeah. anyways, enough of offtopic.

I did read SunTek is a way to go.

80% windshield, 30% on sides and rear.
All sunteck ceramic

full

2021 LR AWD here with 40% around with a 5% strip at the top of the windshield. Rhode Island is tough on tint (70% max here unless a Dr exemption letter which I have). Pardon the snow and dirt. Took these right after picking her up from being tinted, the day after a Nor'easter.

View attachment 636387 View attachment 636388 View attachment 636389

We are only allowed a strip here too in australia. I actually think this looks really good actually. It makes the car look sleeker by giving the illusion that the windshield is smaller than it is. And tbh you dont want the windshield tinted anyway. I dont think something like 60 or 70% affects visibility out at night that much but the real dealbreaker is that pedestrians/cyclists etc cant see your face and judge what you are doing.

We are only allowed a strip here too in australia. I actually think this looks really good actually. It makes the car look sleeker by giving the illusion that the windshield is smaller than it is. And tbh you dont want the windshield tinted anyway. I dont think something like 60 or 70% affects visibility out at night that much but the real dealbreaker is that pedestrians/cyclists etc cant see your face and judge what you are doing.

Agreed, 1000000%! I would never want my windshield tinted, entirely. The strip works perfect. Extends the roofline a bit, hides the windshield cameras, and like you states, give that illusion of a smaller windshield. I think its perfect. Thanks for liking it!

Agreed, 1000000%! I would never want my windshield tinted, entirely. The strip works perfect. Extends the roofline a bit, hides the windshield cameras, and like you states, give that illusion of a smaller windshield. I think its perfect. Thanks for liking it!

actually i forgot, hiding the windshield camera/mirror thing is a big one. looks really out of place on the model 3 coz you have this fat mirror attachment which has the cameras inside.

sunshade_outside.jpg

MODEL_3_heatsheild_1024x1024.jpg

you can read this if you want too
3M Crystalline vs PINNACLE vs Suntek CIR vs LLumar CTX vs Wincos Tint

I live in Los Angeles, so it gets hot and sunny here most of the days and tint laws here are fairly strict, but cops dont bother you too much for it unless you want to be an example. I put 80 in front windshield (happy), 30 on side windows (happy) and 5 (limo tint) on back and top (not happy, too dark at night). This is one of those things, if where you drive and the time you drive it sunny, dont cheappen out on tint. just spend extra Candians and get yourself top tier. Difference between low cost $400 dyed tint vs $1,000 for top tier ceramic is a lot, but worth it relative to price of the car and the use you get out of it.

Can you show some pics of yours? I live in LA and interested in 30 on windows as well. Where did you get them done (and do you recommend them?)

Reactions: bkkballer

Attachments

• IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    437.5 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0364.JPG
    736.5 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0365.JPG
    618.1 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_0370.JPG
    IMG_0370.JPG
    517.7 KB · Views: 640
  • Informative
Reactions: bkkballer and xdms
Anyone else with 5 percent on a Tesla think it's not that dark. My tint shop told me since the glass roof lets in light, the 5% does not seem as dark as 5% on regular cars. I can at some angles see a tiny bit through my 5, anyone have similar issue, or am I just being picky!?

Anyone else with 5 percent on a Tesla think it's not that dark. My tint shop told me since the glass roof lets in light, the 5% does not seem as dark as 5% on regular cars. I can at some angles see a tiny bit through my 5, anyone have similar issue, or am I just being picky!?

I dont like 5% on back of my car, you can see from photos couple posts above. During daylight, its pretty nice, but at night, fairly dark. Does help out with there are lifted cars and their lights shine right at you, but otherwise would have done it lighter.

I noticed several cars here with what appears to be powder coated wheels. They look like the 19 inch sports, but they are gray/black.

Can you all who posted those tell me if indeed they are powder coated, and if so, what color and texture did you get?

unless I am wrong, and Tesla is shipping with gray/black sports. But I don’t think so.

thanks!

Oh, and mine is 35% suntek all the way around.
1E936B32-8B80-4C99-831C-18FA1759CE15.jpeg
1E936B32-8B80-4C99-831C-18FA1759CE15.jpeg
9A3DEF67-A098-4ACC-BC99-57E09CB8779A.jpeg
468E8371-5D89-4D2E-B85A-520D090E857A.jpeg

I would caution you to look at some photos of the tint you want in direct light. The 80% tint in the overcast weather above looks like my 20% on a sunny day. Additionally, the tint you want on your 3 is going to look a lot lighter than on other cars because the glass roof lets in a lot of sunlight.

Lastly, if you can justify the cost, I would recommend ceramic tint. It cuts out A LOT more UV (glare and heat) than traditional tint. I have XPEL Prime XR on my car and would absolutely recommend it to everyone.
Hi, What did you pay all-in (total)?? I have an appointment with possibly the best XPEL shop in the planet on Thursday BUT was quoted $900 for sides and back + $350 for the windshield = YIKES!!!! It was for the PRIME XR PLUS. You did not do the PLUS correct??? I know the job will be prefect but the price....ugh

20% like yours seems like it would be too dark for me. Not sure if it comes in 25, 30, 35 but I'm thinking one of those on the sides. 70% on the windshield seems to be the suggestion. The back? Hmmmm???? 20%?? Not sure the contrast to factory tint line. Can't get clear explanation on that part no matter how much I search threads.

Also, what color does it look like on? From inside? Outside??

I need to call them tomorrow. Maybe negotiate a bit too....

Please let me know. Thanks

Hi, What did you pay all-in (total)?? I have an appointment with possibly the best XPEL shop in the planet on Thursday BUT was quoted $900 for sides and back + $350 for the windshield = YIKES!!!! It was for the PRIME XR PLUS. You did not do the PLUS correct??? I know the job will be prefect but the price....ugh

20% like yours seems like it would be too dark for me. Not sure if it comes in 25, 30, 35 but I'm thinking one of those on the sides. 70% on the windshield seems to be the suggestion. The back? Hmmmm???? 20%?? Not sure the contrast to factory tint line. Can't get clear explanation on that part no matter how much I search threads.

Also, what color does it look like on? From inside? Outside??

I need to call them tomorrow. Maybe negotiate a bit too....

Please let me know. Thanks
I can't remember exactly, but want to say it was $450 for sides and back. That also included an upcharge because 1) They don't keep 20% readily in stock and 2) they bought a "special" wider roll so that they could do the back glass in one piece. You are correct, I have Prime XR, not Prime XR plus.

Not sure your eyesight/sensitivity to driving at night, but 20% is DARK. I have to roll my windows down to turn left in areas with low light at night. I have to roll my passenger window down when parking against a curb on that side at night (even in well lit areas). I have very good eyesight and no issues seeing at night when not in the car.

When I lived in SC, legal limit was 35% and I was surprised how well that worked/looked on my non-Tesla at that time (never had to roll windows down to see). From outside it will look lighter on your car because of the glass roof letting in light. Depends if you are doing tint more for looks or for UV rejection. XR and XR plus do a fantastic job rejecting UV without having to be super dark.

I will run out to my car later and get a picture of the line on the back where the tint meets the factory tint line. It is only noticeable from the inside but doesn't look bad whatsoever as long as your tint shop takes the tint up past where the factory transition begins. I have never had an issue seeing out of the back with my 20%. I would do that, especially if you have kids or passengers back there often.

I don't quite understand your tint color question... the tint looks black I guess?

No idea how close you are to ATL, but Glass Tiger did my buddy's Model Y in Llumar IRX: 35% side and rear for $150, 80% windshield for $175. He is very happy with the tint.

Last edited: