Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tiny Rear View Mirror? And - Insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whats up with the tiny little rear view mirror on my Model 3? How do they expect me to keep an eye out for cops back there? Anyone find a bigger mirror?

And insurance - the Tesla insurance requires you to consent to send them the vehicle information for your safety score. I've been driving for 50 years now - not a single accident my fault. I drive fast, and aggressively. But I pay careful attention to whats around me, which explains why I've never had an at fault accident. My 'safety score' would be abysmal under any reasonable review of data =- but for - I don't get into accidents.* So much then for using Tesla insurance -

* both of my accidents were other idiots rear ending me. Plus, I have NEVER been convicted of a moving violation. Have I received traffic citations? Sure. Have they ever managed to put a conviction on my driving record? Nope. Thus- to an insurer I'm fantastic risk. Unless you're looking at my data.,

Whats up with the tiny little rear view mirror on my Model 3? How do they expect me to keep an eye out for cops back there? Anyone find a bigger mirror?

And insurance - the Tesla insurance requires you to consent to send them the vehicle information for your safety score. I've been driving for 50 years now - not a single accident my fault. I drive fast, and aggressively. But I pay careful attention to whats around me, which explains why I've never had an at fault accident. My 'safety score' would be abysmal under any reasonable review of data =- but for - I don't get into accidents.* So much then for using Tesla insurance -

* both of my accidents were other idiots rear ending me. Plus, I have NEVER been convicted of a moving violation. Have I received traffic citations? Sure. Have they ever managed to put a conviction on my driving record? Nope. Thus- to an insurer I'm fantastic risk. Unless you're looking at my data.,

So, dont use Tesla insurance? The safety score thing was a non starter for me, so I never even considered Tesla insurance, and wouldnt even though its cheaper. I also will not do any similar product / process from any other company (no "snapshot" or any other thing that uploads data from my car to the insurance company).

My model 3P has a lifetime wh/mi number of 272, so its not like im Hooning around everywhere, I just aggressively dont believe in that amount of information sharing, especially in the situation where the only use for that information by the company is to use it against me.

You are an outlier then. With insurance products, some people are always paying for others. That is how it works. Tesla's system tries to make the marginal rate at which people pay for others as small as possible. Tesla isn't just making their safety score data up out of thin air. They're using real data. People that drive in a manner that makes their safety score go down, have a higher chance of getting into an accident, statistically, not directly. I'm sure your accident history plays a role in your price too. But they don't have much way of knowing how you were driving during that history. It makes more sense for them to simply use the driving data and price accordingly.

Maybe you have just gotten really, really lucky over those 50 years. Maybe your driving habits played a role in those 2 rear-ends, in some way you don't understand.

I love my Tesla insurance. Might be the best product I've ever bought.

If you are such a good driver now, imagine how safe you'd be if you drove slower and less agressively? Boy you'd be an all-star. The risk is never zero, you can always improve.

Are you not able to see the back seat, roofline, and both C-pillars in your mirror?

Tesla insurance uses a crude and deeply flawed "driving score" scheme which basically charges you every time you touch the brake pedal.
Other insurance companies basically charge you every time you have a penis.
Choose whichever system is least bad for your anatomy.

Maybe you have just gotten really, really lucky over those 50 years. Maybe your driving habits played a role in those 2 rear-ends, in some way you don't understand.

I love my Tesla insurance. Might be the best product I've ever bought.

If you are such a good driver now, imagine how safe you'd be if you drove slower and less agressively? Boy you'd be an all-star. The risk is never zero, you can always improve.
Maybe I have just gotten lucky - though - at some level skill does come into play - as does pure dumb luck - but - driving without a decent skill set and a lack of attention means the luck runs out a lot sooner.

Yeah - I'm sure both times I got rear ended at a dead stop somehow was my driving! Both time were in an automatic - so given the creep inherent in an automatic my foot was on the brake to keep from creeping into the car in front of me. Second time, in 2018, guy was on his phone looking down and I saw him coming at me - had time to duck down into my seat to reduce the hit. At least that one bent him up pretty good as he submarined under my SUV. . .

I can't imagine an at fault accident rate of less than zero. Not sure how the probability math works there!

So, dont use Tesla insurance? The safety score thing was a non starter for me, so I never even considered Tesla insurance, and wouldnt even though its cheaper. I also will not do any similar product / process from any other company (no "snapshot" or any other thing that uploads data from my car to the insurance company).

My model 3P has a lifetime wh/mi number of 272, so its not like im Hooning around everywhere, I just aggressively dont believe in that amount of information sharing, especially in the situation where the only use for that information by the company is to use it against me.
Right with my house and discounts Tesla insurance can’t beat it. Plus I love my insurance agent at State Farm. Been with them for 25 years and they look out for me and gives me heads up and discounts. Tesla is probably a chat bot and impossible to talk to a real person.