Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Tips for dog owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My yellow lab Button passed in the fall (she was an attendee with me at the 2016 Teslive event in California). She was 14 1/2 years old. She shed a dog a week:) so she only rode in the trunk of my Model S, which has tan carpeting to disguise all of the hair.

Last December we got a GoldenDoodle. She does not shed a bit. Several weeks ago I drove 7 hours to North Carolina with her buckled into the passenger seat. No mess at all. It's great to have a dog that doesn't shed.

I have one of the Amazon back seat hammock and am very happy w/ it. It was the first thing I did to my car when I got it home. When you have the dogs in you'll need to either buckle the seatbelts or get one of the clips that goes in the buckle. Otherwise you'll get a seat belt warning constantly. Also if you are out of the car and leave the AC on I would recommend putting the screen in cleaning mode..... Amazing how many settings they changed.......

Nik

• Informative
Reactions: more863-also
Photo - First day home with the car........
IMG_0813.jpg

Reactions: eyespii and skitown
When you have the dogs in you'll need to either buckle the seatbelts or get one of the clips that goes in the buckle. Otherwise you'll get a seat belt warning constantly.
If you get the seatbelt warning, just touch it on the screen to make it go away. This is a new, and great feature... meant for baby seats.

Also if you are out of the car and leave the AC on I would recommend putting the screen in cleaning mode..... Amazing how many settings they changed.......
Because.... the dog might lick the screen? Not sure I understand the need for cleaning mode?

Reactions: JeffK
If you get the seatbelt warning, just touch it on the screen to make it go away. This is a new, and great feature... meant for baby seats.

Because.... the dog might lick the screen? Not sure I understand the need for cleaning mode?
I'll have to try the screen thing, that would be great if it works....

Yes, boxers sniff everything, including the screen quite a few times. Changed a few settings, pretty sure just with their nose......

Does anyone transport their dog in the TRUNK/folded down seat area of the Model 3? I wonder if something like this would work well in that area: https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Products-Economy-Cargo-Cover/dp/B00DS7CO38
I am really surprised no one has mentioned putting the seats down. The only problem I have found is having to turn on the rear seat AC by hand. With the seats down we have a large thick blanket that we cover the entire area with, we have a spill-proof water bowl from the RV that we put in the back area. Remember to extend the headrest for the center seat. They keep the dogs from falling in the seat well, a problem I did have before putting the seats down. We then have dog beds for both dogs, one high and one normal. So an interested dog can keep watch and the other can sleep. Our girl tends to jump into the front so that leaves the two beds for the boy to pick from.

I was shocked, New Car? Dogs? What am I thinking? But now that we found these fosters a home the car cleaned up perfect. No evidence there ever was a dog. No scratch marks on the interior (it helps that they never put their paws on the seats). No lingering dog odor (it helps that they were Chinese Cresteds). No scratches on the console. Really great materials used in the Model 3.

I also liked that I could go from a dog car to a human car by rolling the blanket back and raising the seats. No evidence they had been there. With the seats down the dogs could get out of the sun by crawling into the trunk area where their water bowl was. Also, the seats being down raises their view of the world so they don't have to stand to see out. And I never had an issue with the seat belt sensor being tripped the way I do when I put heavy things on the back seat normally.

I did buy the hammock when I got my Volvo, but I have yet to use it. Maybe someday, I was just too nervous to put dogs in that (at that point) most expensive car I had ever purchased. I like the solution we came up with for the Tesla better. And NO BETTER car for keeping the dogs cool while you are in the restaurant. You can even track the car's temp from your table.

-Randy

Wow, no posts since 2018?
Here's a question for anyone who has a small dog... ours is 7 kg (about 16 pounds). He seems to struggle in the back and we're wondering whether it's lack of air, or the motion of the car. He had no problems in our old dumber car (a Lexus CT200h) and enjoyed excursions. He often trembles, pants, struggles with staying stable. So far we've focussed on trying various dog baskets, mats, etc.
The model 3 doesn't have separate air controls for front row and back row and often we find that the rear air flow is weak (or it's not switched on). Maybe the dog is too light for the seat sensor? We don't use the seat belt. Would that help with air flow (due to sensing that the belt is connected)?

We'd be happy to hear of others' experiences and any advice.

Do any current M3 dog owners have any tips to share?

Im getting my model 3 next week, and I would like to prep it as much as possible for my med-large shepherd/husky mix.
He sheds like crazy, and we like to take him to the outdoors often, so mud and dirt is an issue as well.

the back of the seats scratches super easily. try to get a dog hammok for the back seats.
Poit Narf has the right idea.

Reactions: PoitNarf
the back of the seats scratches super easily. try to get a dog hammok for the back seats.
Poit Narf has the right idea.
Do any current M3 dog owners have any tips to share?

Im getting my model 3 next week, and I would like to prep it as much as possible for my med-large shepherd/husky mix.
He sheds like crazy, and we like to take him to the outdoors often, so mud and dirt is an issue as well.
Whatever you do, don’t follow former candidate for the US republican presidential Nomination , Mitt Romney did and put your dog on top of your car! This ruined his career and made some great bumper stickers that said « Mitt, my dog rides inside »

• Funny
Reactions: Hungry Mile
Elly in my model 3 . I have a black Patterdale terrier and a white /white model 3 Should have gotten a black interior. She loves dog mode Though.
Just vacuum and use a mild cleaner as the seats are pretty dirt resistant

Attachments

• 58CE2F4E-625A-4331-AF05-FAE1D030E73B.jpeg
    58CE2F4E-625A-4331-AF05-FAE1D030E73B.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 151
The model 3 doesn't have separate air controls for front row and back row and often we find that the rear air flow is weak (or it's not switched on). Maybe the dog is too light for the seat sensor? We don't use the seat belt. Would that help with air flow (due to sensing that the belt is connected)?

We'd be happy to hear of others' experiences and any advice.

There's a separate control for back seat vents, make sure it's off "auto" and you'll see the tab in the bottom right corner for rear vents.Screenshot_20200802-191638.png

Reactions: DwightKSchrute