Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Tips for dog owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do any current M3 dog owners have any tips to share?

Im getting my model 3 next week, and I would like to prep it as much as possible for my med-large shepherd/husky mix.
He sheds like crazy, and we like to take him to the outdoors often, so mud and dirt is an issue as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4280.JPG
    IMG_4280.JPG
    343.3 KB · Views: 1,016
I HIGHLY recommend a back seat "hammock" to contain all of the doggie mess. I've had two hammocks from other cheaper brands before but they started falling apart quicker than I expected. I decided it was worth buying a more quality one so I got this one from Orvis: Windowed Dog Hammock Car Seat Protector / Grip-Tight™ Windowed Hammock Seat Protector -- Orvis

They have other ones available as well. It is holding up extremely well against our two dogs, a Yellow English Lab and a Catahoula. Zero tears, doesn't smell, washable and easily installed/removed. I have an awesome dog bed that I got from Orvis as well. Just real high quality stuff from them, never been disappointed.

For those that have a dog that sheds a ridiculous amount (like my Lab) I'd recommend using a furminator desheding brush at least once a week to cut down on the amount of hair that gets deposited in the Model 3.

Oh, and be prepared to vacuum your Model 3 at least every other week. And keep some glass cleaner and a microfiber towel handy to take care of all of the nose prints on the windows.

13AA7551-5556-4F1F-A180-B78546AA1402.jpeg

I HIGHLY recommend a back seat "hammock" to contain all of the doggie mess. I've had two hammocks from other cheaper brands before but they started falling apart quicker than I expected. I decided it was worth buying a more quality one so I got this one from Orvis: Windowed Dog Hammock Car Seat Protector / Grip-Tight™ Windowed Hammock Seat Protector -- Orvis

They have other ones available as well. It is holding up extremely well against our two dogs, a Yellow English Lab and a Catahoula. Zero tears, doesn't smell, washable and easily installed/removed. I have an awesome dog bed that I got from Orvis as well. Just real high quality stuff from them, never been disappointed.

For those that have a dog that sheds a ridiculous amount (like my Lab) I'd recommend using a furminator desheding brush at least once a week to cut down on the amount of hair that gets deposited in the Model 3.

Oh, and be prepared to vacuum your Model 3 at least every other week. And keep some glass cleaner and a microfiber towel handy to take care of all of the nose prints on the windows.

View attachment 302979

Great! Exactly the info I was looking for. I've been checking out a lot of hammocks on amazon, but some of them look pretty cheap and crappy. I want a good quality one!

I have had my Model3 for more than a month now. Still haven't had the courage to take my yellow English lab for a ride. We have a second car which is a larger SUV with a weathertech cargo liner, that is dedicated for our dog. My daughter brushes our lab on a weekly basis but he still sheds a ton - like a true furball.

Great! Exactly the info I was looking for. I've been checking out a lot of hammocks on amazon, but some of them look pretty cheap and crappy. I want a good quality one!

Yeah go with Orvis, not any of that cheap crap on Amazon. I've had this hammock from them for almost two years now and after a run through the washer and dryer it looks brand new. If you expect to encounter more mud and wetness you may want to get one of the "hose-off" ones that they have: Traveling with Dogs - Dog Car Seat Covers, Travel Crates, & Gear | Orvis

Reactions: Nathanael
I’ll add to the Orvis recommendations. I have the foam backseat extenders for our current car (Mazda cx5) and will be switching them into my Model 3 when I take the dog for rides. We currently just lay a quilt down in the backseat and over the foam extenders. But I’ll be ordering the Orvis seat cover for added protection for the Model 3. Delivery in less than 2 weeks so I should probably get on that and order. But yes Orvis is definitely worth the extra money if you want quality. I highly recommend the back seat extenders. Creates more room for my pup and if I have to hit the breaks she doesn’t skid and fall to the floor. I’ve also heard positive things about Weathertech’s dog seat covers if you want to look at other options

I’ll add to the Orvis recommendations. I have the foam backseat extenders for our current car (Mazda cx5) and will be switching them into my Model 3 when I take the dog for rides. We currently just lay a quilt down in the backseat and over the foam extenders. But I’ll be ordering the Orvis seat cover for added protection for the Model 3. Delivery in less than 2 weeks so I should probably get on that and order. But yes Orvis is definitely worth the extra money if you want quality. I highly recommend the back seat extenders. Creates more room for my pup and if I have to hit the breaks she doesn’t skid and fall to the floor. I’ve also heard positive things about Weathertech’s dog seat covers if you want to look at other options
Would love to see pics of how everything fits in your Model 3 when you get it all set up!. Thx.

Would love to see pics of how everything fits in your Model 3 when you get it all set up!. Thx.

Yeah, no problem. Fingers crossed, 2 weeks from today will be my first full day with the car. I’m sure we’ll want to take the dog for a ride ASAP so I’ll have it setup pretty quick. I honestly was hesitant at first at how much I wanted my dog to ride in the 3. But she’s too much a part of the family and I’m going to avoid driving the ICE CX5 as much as possible, so dog proofing will happen. I also recommend having wipes handy and glass cleaner/cloth. The nose marks on the windows are going to be my biggest concern

Yeah, no problem. Fingers crossed, 2 weeks from today will be my first full day with the car. I’m sure we’ll want to take the dog for a ride ASAP so I’ll have it setup pretty quick. I honestly was hesitant at first at how much I wanted my dog to ride in the 3. But she’s too much a part of the family and I’m going to avoid driving the ICE CX5 as much as possible, so dog proofing will happen. I also recommend having wipes handy and glass cleaner/cloth. The nose marks on the windows are going to be my biggest concern
We're in the same boat. We have a Model S with black headliner, that is great for our dog (trunk and black); other than the fact that alcantara seems scientifically engineered to attract Siberian Husky hair. The Model 3 will replace our Honda Element, which is basically the Shaggin' Wagon. I'm sure there will be some uhhh, pain, along the way, but it's just a car at the end of the day. Needs to be used.

mutt-cutts.jpg

We're in the same boat. We have a Model S with black headliner, that is great for our dog (trunk and black); other than the fact that alcantara seems scientifically engineered to attract Siberian Husky hair.

I thought everything on the planet was engineered to attract Siberian Husky hair. The darker the color the more the attraction, too!
These lab people have no idea....

• Funny
Reactions: skitown