TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model 3 tire performance

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, Jun 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

So I assume all tesla vehicles have low rolling resistance tires. How well do these low resistance tires perform? Cornering? Acceleration? I just don't know much about low rolling resistance tires...

2. 03DSG

03DSG Member

3. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

Thanks, but "Depending on the specific technique and materials used by the manufacturers, tire life may be as good as conventional tires, and traction may also be as good" is too vague to for me. Anyone with experience, particularly with Tesla vehicles, care to weigh in with their experience?

4. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

#4 ikjadoon, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    The performance models definitely don't use LRR tires; they can't handle the ridiculous torque.

They come stock with what are probably the stickiest legal summer tires produced:

Description

But, Tesla still ekes out a lot of range from the P100D (which also has to account for another high-performance motor), just 6% less than the 100D (20 miles).

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Enginerd

Enginerd Member

I've heard the Model X tires have foam inside them to reduce noise. Tire noise becomes dominant when the rest of the car is so quiet. TireRack has ratings on performance parameters if you know what kind of tires are typically installed, and you can compare them to other tires of the same size and speed rating.

6. Chris L

Chris L Member

Latest M3 tires on 18" wheels are Michelin Primacy MXM-4 "Green". 235/45 R 18 TireRack has a video review of them compared to similar tires from other manufacturers. The test cars they used were BMWs. The Michelins did very well.

7. 03DSG

03DSG Member

That's actually a really great tire. I hope they make it to production. Michelin is a premium manufacturer IMO. The Hankook tire rumour died down a long time ago and have not been seen on any RC's.

8. SureValla

SureValla Member

How do you know its the 235/45? All photos I've ever seen its too blurry to tell.

9. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Photos from the Burbank service center had a good tire shot
    Model 3 RC sightings

silver-tesla-model-3-burbank-service-center-3.jpg

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  10. Drivesolo

Drivesolo Member

Looks like the Primacy MXM-4's (tread wear: 500) might be the more conservative option for the Model 3 considering it's the 18" wheel. It's far from a street tire that would be considered good for performance. Considering that Tesla puts Continental Contisportcontact 5P (tread wear: 280) on the Model S 100D & P100D, there'll probably be a different tire for the 19" wheels. It probably won't be as aggressive as a summer time UHP tire like the Contisportcontact 5P. My guess is that it'll be some kind of HP all season tire.

11. Big-T

Big-T Member

All I want from the M3 tires is a quiet, comfortable ride that last at least 40,000 miles.

To whoever is in charge of the M3 tire procurement - Do whatever else you want but don't sacrifice those three things to get there please.

• Like x 1
  12. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Yup. I couldn't care less about "performance".

13. jonnyg

jonnyg Member

Here's a closeup shot of the 19's from a few weeks ago:
    [​IMG]

14. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

What a perfect example of how difficult it must be to try and satisfy all potential owners!

• Like x 1
  15. thelastdeadmouse

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus

I put these Pirelli P7 Pluses on my Volt when the stock tires ran out. They are much much quieter than the stock Goodyears were, but seem to have a slight hit in rolling resistance. Grip seems good, on a first gen Volt its hard to tell, but the tires are very well rated for grip by the Tirerack tests and by Consumer Reports.

16. Drivesolo

Drivesolo Member

Looks like they'll be continuing their relationship with Continental for their 19" wheel/tire option.

All season touring tire:
    Continental ContiProContact

17. jonnyg

jonnyg Member

18. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

There doesn't need to be performance tires on a base vehicle, or any non "P" for that matter. That's why there are tire upgrade options.