Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tire Pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
oh, interesting that the recommended pressure has changed. wonder if there's a change in the new cars that warrant that, or if they've concluded lower pressure is better universally. These things generally have lots of flexibility before you're introducing excess wear or causing a safety risk.

• Funny
Reactions: HyperMiler
incidentally, I've seen zero expansion since my delivery, which happened in sub freezing temps. today, we're at 90F and all my tires are still reading 45. Wondering if they used nitrogen in the tires.
Air is already 78% nitrogen. All gasses expand the same when temperature changes. When it's 45 your pressure will be lower. PV=NRT

Are they recommending 45 psi again? Initially, it was recommended 45 psi and early Model 3s showed 45 psi on the door label. After a few months they lowered to 42 psi for comfort (and the manual states 42 psi) so newer cars will have 42 psi on the label. I'm not sure of the change from 45 to 42 corresponds to the change in suspension.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Air is already 78% nitrogen. All gasses expand the same when temperature changes. When it's 45 your pressure will be lower. PV=NRT

Capacity to hold moisture is what is responsible for expansion beyond ideal gas law. A pure nitrogen fill significantly reduces gas expansion due to temperature.

-edit-
decided to post a source:
Nitrogen vs Air In Tires - Why Nitrogen in Tires

Capacity to hold moisture is what is responsible for expansion beyond ideal gas law. A pure nitrogen fill significantly reduces gas expansion due to temperature.

-edit-
decided to post a source:
Nitrogen vs Air In Tires - Why Nitrogen in Tires
It really is not "significant", and for most people not worth the hassle of having to go somewhere (and possibly paying) to fill their tires, vs just filling them at home.

Top 10 Reasons Nitrogen Filled Tyres Are a Scam

Elon says "Best way to improve ride is drop tire pressure to ~39 psi. 45 psi is best range, but lower comfort."

Elon Musk on Twitter

Wasn't he saying this so the suspension doesn't get replaced costing $$. Best way for Tesla. Best way for customer after multiple years and running lower tire pressure?

I doubt if I reach out to a tire manufacturer they would agree with 39psi if it is the lower end of psi rating for a tire.

I am just going over 10k and I think I am going to reach out to them about the suspension. I have interior trim that seems to be always being re snapped in.

• Funny
Reactions: Biggus