TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Tire Pressure

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Stellavator, May 25, 2018.

1. Stellavator

Stellavator Member

Anyone breaking from the suggested 45 psi? Getting better performance, or ride? Worse range?

2. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

My car label says 42psi (delivered a week ago), but actual pressure is around 44 and 45. May be Service center did not see the new updated tire pressure label.

3. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

oh, interesting that the recommended pressure has changed. wonder if there's a change in the new cars that warrant that, or if they've concluded lower pressure is better universally. These things generally have lots of flexibility before you're introducing excess wear or causing a safety risk.

4. DR61

DR61 Member

The initial 45 psi setting was to maximize range by reducing rolling resistance. 42 psi seems more reasonable for all-around use.

• Informative x 1
  5. chibi_kurochan

6. gilscales

gilscales Member

Mine are sitting at 40 cold right now and it drives fine

• Like x 1
  7. DrLegoHair

DrLegoHair Member

Mine was delivered at 50. Rides great and range is great so I haven’t changed it.

• Like x 1
  8. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

incidentally, I've seen zero expansion since my delivery, which happened in sub freezing temps. today, we're at 90F and all my tires are still reading 45. Wondering if they used nitrogen in the tires.

9. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

Air is already 78% nitrogen. All gasses expand the same when temperature changes. When it's 45 your pressure will be lower. PV=NRT

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  10. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Are they recommending 45 psi again? Initially, it was recommended 45 psi and early Model 3s showed 45 psi on the door label. After a few months they lowered to 42 psi for comfort (and the manual states 42 psi) so newer cars will have 42 psi on the label. I'm not sure of the change from 45 to 42 corresponds to the change in suspension.

• Informative x 1
  11. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

Capacity to hold moisture is what is responsible for expansion beyond ideal gas law. A pure nitrogen fill significantly reduces gas expansion due to temperature.

-edit-
    decided to post a source:
    Nitrogen vs Air In Tires - Why Nitrogen in Tires

• Like x 1
  12. liuping

liuping Active Member

It really is not "significant", and for most people not worth the hassle of having to go somewhere (and possibly paying) to fill their tires, vs just filling them at home.

Top 10 Reasons Nitrogen Filled Tyres Are a Scam

• Like x 2
  13. m3snowy

m3snowy Member

Elon says "Best way to improve ride is drop tire pressure to ~39 psi. 45 psi is best range, but lower comfort."

Elon Musk on Twitter

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  14. Matt3y

Matt3y Member

And 42 psi is right in the middle.

15. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

This is interesting.

16. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Mine was delivered 5/5/18 with 42 psi all around

17. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

agreed. I only mentioned nitrogen as a hypothesis for why my tire pressures have held steady at 45psi back when it was 30F and now when it is 80F.

18. TexasTeslaRacing

I see an influx of broken or cracked rims out here in Dallas...

19. outdoors

outdoors Supporting Member

Wasn't he saying this so the suspension doesn't get replaced costing $$. Best way for Tesla. Best way for customer after multiple years and running lower tire pressure?

I doubt if I reach out to a tire manufacturer they would agree with 39psi if it is the lower end of psi rating for a tire.

I am just going over 10k and I think I am going to reach out to them about the suspension. I have interior trim that seems to be always being re snapped in.

20. Dave B

Dave B Member

Does this mean I'll be able to get one good condition used 18" Aero from Dallas to replace the one I curb rashed? :D

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1