Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tire Pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found that setting the TP to 39 means that just the slightest variation, like a cold morning, will trigger a TPMS alert. The new Sottozero 3's I have on for the winter ride super smooth at 45+ PSI, but not very efficient compared to the stock 18"s

I wonder if that video is from one of those owners of the original TM3s that had the super stiff suspension...

In the past, and I suspect still true today, the tire pressure on the door post was the car manufacturer's recommendation. Back in the 1950s and 60s this was all over the place but was generally low so that the car would have a cushy ride. Car experts like Smokey Yunick railed against this and recommended much higher pressures for safety, handling, wear and gas mileage. Eventually, for whatever reason, the manufacturers began to give more reasonable advice. Still, I figure they are favoring ride more than I do so I add 3 psi to the rating as I value minimizing tire wear and maximizing mileage. I have never seen any evidence from wear that the tires were overinflated. My M3 came with 44-45 psi which is essentially the door post value of 42 plus 3. I will keep them at 45. A few psi extra makes a noticeable increase in mileage in my experience.

In the past, and I suspect still true today, the tire pressure on the door post was the car manufacturer's recommendation. Back in the 1950s and 60s this was all over the place but was generally low so that the car would have a cushy ride. Car experts like Smokey Yunick railed against this and recommended much higher pressures for safety, handling, wear and gas mileage. Eventually, for whatever reason, the manufacturers began to give more reasonable advice. Still, I figure they are favoring ride more than I do so I add 3 psi to the rating as I value minimizing tire wear and maximizing mileage. I have never seen any evidence from wear that the tires were overinflated. My M3 came with 44-45 psi which is essentially the door post value of 42 plus 3. I will keep them at 45. A few psi extra makes a noticeable increase in mileage in my experience.

Using the pressure any car is delivered with as any kind of guide or recommendation is about sensible as using where the mirrors are set as being some sort of guide or recommendation. Follow the door tag or your own preference.

I agree with your comments about the history of the door tag. But I believe Tesla does the opposite and puts much higher pressure in tires to reach efficiency ratings and puts lower priority on ride comfort. Putting 3 pounds more than Tesla’s already high recommendation gives one horrible ride. Most manufacturers would recommend around 36-38 on this size and weight car, 40 tops.

Also keep in might the tire pressure on the door tag is setting the “load rating”. Tires load rating is based on MAX tire pressure. Anything lower derates the load rating that the tire will achieve. Be careful putting to low a pressure because your are running at a lower load rating.

Reactions: Biggus
We run right around 45. Since the label says 42, I was concerned that running a little hard would wear the tread more towards the middle. But I checked it recently at around 31K miles, and the wear is nice and flat. (MXM4 18")
It's counterintuitive to most, but tire pressures that are too high actually cause the edges to wear faster, not the middle. This is because the slight ballooning of the tire translates to the edges being in contact with the ground under load, but only lightly, which causes the edges to scuff due to the lack of load keeping them on the ground, while the higher load on the middle of the tire prevents it from slipping against the pavement under normal rolling conditions.

We run right around 45. Since the label says 42, I was concerned that running a little hard would wear the tread more towards the middle. But I checked it recently at around 31K miles, and the wear is nice and flat. (MXM4 18")

I agree. We've been running both of our Model 3's around 45 psi for well over two years now and the wear is nice and even.

Some people might not know this but when the Model 3 was first released the door sticker recommended 44 psi. Tesla reduced it to 42 psi when Americans complained about the firm ride.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865