Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tire Pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Model 3 last week.
Handles great - but noticed that the tire pressure monitors are showing 45/46 in the front and 47 in the rear (and were at 49 today in the heat after highway driving).

I'm going to release some air tomorrow - but am wondering what sort of handling difference I can expect.

(and has anyone else had their 3 delivered with such high tire pressure?)

I've been driving 6 years with tire pressure at 46 lb and more. What's the big worry? You think it will make your car drive softer? The 3 is supposed to be a sports car, isn't it? As I live on a hill with curves, handling is a consideration, though the S can keep up with most of 'em.

After driving that long, and longer, in EVs, I have figured out that the most important commodity to me is range. And softer tires get worse range. EV tires are traditionally hard to get better range, and dropping the air pressure will probably make the tread wear funny, maybe even voiding the warranty. Heck, buy now, I've begun to think that all cars have 45+ lb tire pressure.

Reactions: linkster
Handles great - but noticed that the tire pressure monitors are showing 45/46 in the front and 47 in the rear (and were at 49 today in the heat after highway driving).
Look on the car's driver door placard (should be 42 on recent builds). Set your pressures to those values when cool (early morning) with a good tire gauge. Ignore increases when tires get hot during driving. Occasionally (at least once a month) check the display when tires are cold and adjust as necessary.

Of course you can experiment with other cold pressures up to the max on the tire sidewall. You may also drop cold pressure slightly below the placard value, but you should not go below the values that generate a warning from the TPMS (39 psi from what I have read). Lower pressures causes higher risk of tire failure due to heat buildup, and reduced range.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gouldness
With 45/44 PSI, car sounds like empty drum on rough concrete roads. It gives same feeling when I increased the pressure on my wife prius to 45 PSI. Ride is very rough.

I changed front to 40 and rear to 41 as it is rear wheel drive, rear pressure needs to be little more. Also, it is close to 42 psi recommended. It made considerable difference in noise on rough patches, and comfort also. I have not observed any change in range/consumption. My guess would be there would be less than 1% difference.

I have been running mine at 42 psi cold, on my other cars I adjusted pressure to get even tread wear, usually takes 10 to 15k miles to figure this out but almost always is slightly less than on the door, usually 2 or 3 psi less, would be interesting if someone had enough miles on a 3 yet to figure out ideal pressure for even tread wear.

When I picked up my car the wheels where at 45 front &46 back, but after the first 300 miles they dropped to 42 all round. Not sure why! Could it be that the elevation of my place is lower than the service center?(1300 ft)

Anyways you may want to put a few hundred miles on it before you adjust - then you’ll have a better feel for the effect of the pressure adjustment