Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tire Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 40,000 miles out of my first set of Michelin Primacy tires in 19 months of driving. Needing replacements i was looking at the Michelin CrossClimate's instead of the Primacy supplied by Tesla. If in buy tires from another source, will Tesla still honor the Mobile Service and fix a flat for me? Or would i then have to rely on AAA? Has anybody tried the CrossClimate's?

Still the best car ever made, though i haven't seen a "Y" yet.

There is a least 1 thread here regarding the Cross Climate tires. Mobile service can/will repair a flat - it's just tires. If I needed a tire plug I would just go to a reputable tire shop. Better than waiting for mobile to come out if you're in a jamb.

I put them on my 2019 M3 LR AWD as soon as I got it and had no problem in about a foot of snow in a blizzard on the I-5 last Thanksgiving. I left some SUVs behind spinning their wheels (they may not have had snow tires and thought 4WD was good enough). Love love love them. They're quieter than the OEMs and much better in rain and dry traction.

As for flats, I got a plug kit and power inflator in case mobile or AAA is too backed up or I'm too far from a tire shop.

They're quieter than the OEMs
Compared to PrImacy MXM4s? This perspective I haven’t heard before.

I’ll probably get some CrossClimate+ tires for my “winter” set but am apprehensive about the increased noise and reduced range as compared to MXM4s. I recall reading numerous reports of them being louder than others due to the chevron tread pattern.

I’ll probably get some CrossClimate+ tires for my “winter” set but am apprehensive about the increased noise and reduced range as compared to MXM4s. I recall reading numerous reports of them being louder than others due to the chevron tread pattern.

I only had about 700 km on my OEMs before I switched to the CrossClimate+, and didn't notice ANY drop in range (granted, when I first got the car, I was doing a lot more jump starts, but then, to be fair, I got the acceleration boost after I switched, so not significantly more) - my efficiency is slightly better on my "tire change" odometer versus my "lifetime"odometer.

Also, I was primed to hear louder tire noise from my research pre-purchase, and even with my expectation to hear it, it was not noticeable, and certainly nowhere near noticeable enough to want to have to deal with the hassles of having another set of wheels/tires to switch out twice a year (and then the extra brain cycles of figuring out exactly WHEN in the year is the best time to do it).

There is a least 1 thread here regarding the Cross Climate tires. Mobile service can/will repair a flat - it's just tires. If I needed a tire plug I would just go to a reputable tire shop. Better than waiting for mobile to come out if you're in a jamb.
Thank you for the reply, sorry I missed the earlier thread in my search. Just nice to know Tesla Mobile would still be an option, depending on where I get a flat, though I haven't had one for many years.

I put them on my 2019 M3 LR AWD as soon as I got it and had no problem in about a foot of snow in a blizzard on the I-5 last Thanksgiving. I left some SUVs behind spinning their wheels (they may not have had snow tires and thought 4WD was good enough). Love love love them. They're quieter than the OEMs and much better in rain and dry traction.

As for flats, I got a plug kit and power inflator in case mobile or AAA is too backed up or I'm too far from a tire shop.
We get a lot of SUV drivers like that here in NJ, they don't know how to use their toys. Hadn't thought of the plug kit, but I did get the inflators from Tesla. Did come in useful after she lost 3 lbs of pressure in one tire, and started giving me warnings. Though it did take me 20 minutes to find the accessory plug. The extra traction in snow will prove useful, as Tessie is now the ski car for trips to VT. Skis did not fit in my Chevy Tracker but they do in the 3.

Thank you for the reply, I have heard both ways on the noise. I use to like driving with the windows open, but since I got the 3, I've been keeping them closed at speed as I have gotten use to and enjoy the quiet. I was thinking of a winter set, but have storage space concerns and would have added a second set of rims, adding another thousand to the cost.

I only had about 700 km on my OEMs before I switched to the CrossClimate+, and didn't notice ANY drop in range (granted, when I first got the car, I was doing a lot more jump starts, but then, to be fair, I got the acceleration boost after I switched, so not significantly more) - my efficiency is slightly better on my "tire change" odometer versus my "lifetime"odometer.

Also, I was primed to hear louder tire noise from my research pre-purchase, and even with my expectation to hear it, it was not noticeable, and certainly nowhere near noticeable enough to want to have to deal with the hassles of having another set of wheels/tires to switch out twice a year (and then the extra brain cycles of figuring out exactly WHEN in the year is the best time to do it).
Looks like I agree with you, good to hear noise wasn't noticeable. And not worth hassles to two sets, plus storage issues. Thank you for your reply.

I got 40,000 miles out of my first set of Michelin Primacy tires in 19 months of driving. Needing replacements i was looking at the Michelin CrossClimate's instead of the Primacy supplied by Tesla. If in buy tires from another source, will Tesla still honor the Mobile Service and fix a flat for me? Or would i then have to rely on AAA? Has anybody tried the CrossClimate's?

Still the best car ever made, though i haven't seen a "Y" yet.
I run Michelin CrossClimates on my LR-DM-M3 and they seem fine. Not as noisy as you'd suspect from their deep grooves.

Reactions: TonyJag