Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 tire rotation quote: $127

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newly tightened lugs can loosen, so almost all tire shops have it written on the invoice that you need them re-tightened after 50 miles or something similar. If you have a torque wrench, you can check yourself, 129ft-lbs.

It is truly a great CYA. If you don't do it and get an invoice and the wheel falls off it is on you. Not that they would most times, but I double check them myself. Losing a wheel I would imagine is a horrible car crash, and a speeding heavy bullet rolling down the road.

$127 is ridiculous. When I hear prices like that it's the same as them saying, "We don't want to perform this service."

I take my Tesla to the tire dealer that I bought my last two sets of tires from. If you are a loyal customer many shops will rotate your tires for free or very little hoping you'll buy your next set from them. The only thing you need to watch out for is whether or not the shop you use has experience with Teslas. Do they know about using rubber pucks or rubberized jacks and do they know about the specific jack points so they don't damage the battery? My place had done a lot of Teslas before I needed tire service, so I could tell that they knew what they were doing. I still watched them though, but now I'm comfortable with them doing my tires while I watch the TV inside.

Tesla has made the decision that every out of warranty service item gets charged the standard hourly rate (or pro-rated rate) no matter what the work is. So $127 seems to be about 45 minutes worth of labor from what I remember of the hourly rate, and that seems reasonable for a tire rotation job from start to stop.

Yes, tire shops discount services like rotation and flat repair. You can take advantage of that if you like. There's a slight risk they will damage the car or wheels when changing tires. But if you're okay with the risk, you can save money on tire stuff elsewhere.

fyi, in my case a couple of years ago a local tire store took a drill and a wire brush to my Tesla wheels to remove the balancing weights on the inside. They ended up putting wire brush marks on the outside of two of my wheels where the wire brush must have slipped. Yes, they paid for the repair. Was it worth it to me for the cheaper service? Hmmm, probably not. Just glad they didn't damage the battery pack from jacking the car incorrectly...

Reactions: Bill Foster
Newly tightened lugs can loosen, so almost all tire shops have it written on the invoice that you need them re-tightened after 50 miles or something similar. If you have a torque wrench, you can check yourself, 129ft-lbs.
I'm probably going to get yelled at for this, but I know my weight so I stand on the wrench at the correct distance ...

Page 136 of the most current owner’s manual:
• “Rotate tires every 10,000-12,000 miles
(16,000-20,000 km) or if tread depth difference is 2/32 in (1.5 mm)”

Previous versions of the owners manual recommended tire rotation every ~6K miles

I'd like to know how Tesla came up with a rotation schedule of 10,000 - 12,000 miles. Tires benefit the most with a rotation done every 6 - 7,000 miles. The tire compound isn't some magical Tesla formula. Tesla doesn't make the tires, they only had input on the tread design and adding the sound damping foam.

This is from January this year.
Screenshot_20190106-070632_1.jpg

Did they take out the lug caps for you or you did it yourself?

If you have the aero wheels

I removed the aero covers myself.

I take them off for Discount Tire. They do it for free. I take the 5 minutes to pull them. I do the torque check a week later myself. They as others have noted know I am coming back.

Went to America’s Tire and they charge $40 for spin rebalance and rotation.

Not sure why others are claiming Discount Tire does this for free. It was clearly marked as a $40 service in their inventory and everyone that came in the door while I was their was billed for their service. Maybe their policy is not consistent between stores? Seems odd for such a large chain.

Not sure why others are claiming Discount Tire does this for free. It was clearly marked as a $40 service in their inventory and everyone that came in the door while I was their was billed for their service. Maybe their policy is not consistent between stores? Seems odd for such a large chain.

I am claiming it as it is my experience. When the Discount Tire employee checks me in they see I have purchased many sets of tires from them over the years. The tires I have on the 3 are OEM. They rotate my tires knowing when the OEM is done I will more than likely buy from them. Loss leader I think it is called. Do some goodwill and more often than not that is the place someone returns to when it is time to purchase.

Why is it listed as a cost on service menu? I think they have to put a cost. Do they have to do it for free for everyone? Nope.

Founder was a different guy and a local. Maybe just the shops around here are run that way. Managers and employees are top notch and very personable. Definitely an odd thing in today's world.