Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the 18” Aeros on my 2021 SR+. Found a good deal that I might bite on for the 2021 19” sport wheels with 300 miles on the factory tires and TPMS already installed.

My question is will going with the 19” vs 18” (stock tires on both) result in a significant hit to range?

I have the 18” Aeros on my 2021 SR+. Found a good deal that I might bite on for the 2021 19” sport wheels with 300 miles on the factory tires and TPMS already installed.

My question is will going with the 19” vs 18” (stock tires on both) result in a significant hit to range?
You'll take a hit, but certainly not a significant one, esp with the oem tires.

I went from the aeros to aftermarket 19s that weighed two lbs less and grand touring tires similar to the oem ones, and I took a 5% hit at the most.

I recently put 245/40R19 on my 19" Sport wheels. I love look and ride comfort of the extra width. Nice square sidewall. These do not have the tire foam inside, so they are slightly louder than my original 18" Aeros with OEM Michelins. Car is not lowered (yet) in these pictures, and has 15/20mm spacers.

IMG-5483.jpg

IMG-5466.jpg

IMG-5465.jpg

anyone here running 265 30 20s on their 2021 Performance? how is the handling/performance, any noticeable pros or cons? I do like the stretched look but am wary of hitting a pothole. plus, the 265 vs. the 235 will have an increased contact patch of about an inch. been on tirerack and I've found several tires that are about the same weight and cost close to the Pzero OEMs I currently have.

the 265 will lose a tiny bit of sidewall but at least it won't be stretched. also, the overall diameter is only decreased to about 0.2 in.

I've not found an answer to this question using search, so thought I ask the Global Tesla Collective!

I've got a set of 8.5J wheels, 19" in diameter with 225 section tyres on the front and 245 on the back. It seems many AWD cars have wider rear tyres than front, but not Tesla.
Has anyone tried this sort of combination?
They are forged mag alloy from Rays Engineering in Japan.

Here is the wheel on a previous car...
Wheel.jpg

I've not found an answer to this question using search, so thought I ask the Global Tesla Collective!

I've got a set of 8.5J wheels, 19" in diameter with 225 section tyres on the front and 245 on the back. It seems many AWD cars have wider rear tyres than front, but not Tesla.
Has anyone tried this sort of combination?
They are forged mag alloy from Rays Engineering in Japan.

Here is the wheel on a previous car...

YES - lots of people on here have done staggered tire sizes...pros and cons. Wheel sizes and offsets that are staggered as well is what would be preferred.
There are lots of other threads ... search "staggered" to find what you want

Unfortunately I can’t help as I’m not a tire expert but I have been wondering the same thing!
my thread got merged to this one but I was about to respond that in this very thread, someone said that the 265 30 20 should work and won't upset the traction control and system in general since the over diameter won't be too far off from oem. now I'd like to see the Uberturbine's w/ the 265 tire.

Just saw a nail on my tire while I was inflating them. Can anyone tell me if this is pluggable? 3k miles, not leaking air. Or would it be better to buy a new tire at this point.
I'm no tire expert but from previous experiences, my tire guy has said that a puncture on the other side of that groove, closer to the middle, is repairable (considering you have enough treadwear which it sounds like you do). since you're on the other side/outer part of said groove, a tire shop may not touch the repair. or you might get lucky and the screw may not have punctured all the way through.

I'm no tire expert but from previous experiences, my tire guy has said that a puncture on the other side of that groove, closer to the middle, is repairable (considering you have enough treadwear which it sounds like you do). since you're on the other side/outer part of said groove, a tire shop may not touch the repair. or you might get lucky and the screw may not have punctured all the way through.
Thanks! I have a feeling most tire shops won’t touch this except mom and pop shops might plug it. I’m going to yank it out tomorrow and see if it went all the way through, plug it up if needed, and see if my Tsportline 1st year tire protection plan covers this.

I recently put 245/40R19 on my 19" Sport wheels. I love look and ride comfort of the extra width. Nice square sidewall. These do not have the tire foam inside, so they are slightly louder than my original 18" Aeros with OEM Michelins. Car is not lowered (yet) in these pictures, and has 15/20mm spacers.

View attachment 732803

View attachment 732804

View attachment 732805
Looks great, thinking of doing the same with Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus 245/40R19 on the OEM 19" sport, probably be in a while though, my threads aren't wearing down on OEM tires lol

Looks great, thinking of doing the same with Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus 245/40R19 on the OEM 19" sport, probably be in a while though, my threads aren't wearing down on OEM tires lol
Had them installed at my house today by tire rack due to some helpful recommendations from other owners… I’ll add my personally account after driving with them for a week. Important to note that these took almost 3 weeks longer due to tire shortages nationwide.

• Helpful
Reactions: Atraf
(moderator note)

Inform:

This thread was originally created because "what size tire should I use?" threads tend to overwhelm this subforum (along with "what size rims should I get / what aftermarket rims did you buy" etc threads).

These questions are still posted with extreme regularity, however I have noticed a decline in the number of people who seem to answer the questions in this sticky thread. With that being the case, I am going to unsticky this thread (not delete it, just remove it from being a sticky) and let it rise and fall on its own.

Additionally, I will no longer be consolidating "Tire and Rim" questions into the respective threads.

Reactions: Zoomit
Good morning! I recently bought a M3LR (so excited to be part of the community) with 40R19s. I am strongly considering switching to 18s to have better odds with potholes (I drive a lot of backroads) and slightly improve energy efficiency. Have any of you made the switch and is it worth it?

Thanks!

I switched from the 20s on the performance to 18s for pothole protection. I was not going for efficiency, I was going for looks and performance and went with 265s on 18x9.5s. Huge improvent.