Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like they raised the price from $212 to $255 for the Pirelli's, darn. I am intrigued by them for the very sole reason that they are the first specifically EV engineered all season replacement tires I've seen available in the USA and come with a 50k mile warranty. The Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 for $220 with a 45k mile warranty are also in the running for me, but they are not specifically made for an EV like the Pirelli's are.

Reactions: Pricedm
The Pirelli marketing on the ELECT tires at Elect tyres for electric driving | Pirelli basically says:
  • Lower rolling resistance for better range and economy.
  • Better grip for acceleration and braking.
  • Less noise.
  • Better tread life.
I.e. basically a collection of features generally desirable in tires (whether for EVs or ICEVs). Of course, what may be the trade offs in other generally desirable features (handling performance, ride, snow/ice performance)?

A quick check shows that Discount Tire / America's Tire has the Pirelli PZero All Season Elect, and Costco has the Michelin Primary MXM4 (OEM tire) for the Model 3 with 18" wheels. Those needing replacement tires and looking for low rolling resistance models to maximize range and economy may want to check their local Discount Tire / America's Tire and Costco stores.

Reactions: Pricedm
Last edited:
Note that Michelin's Defender series historically has been a line of less sporty tires. In terms of sportiness:

Defender, Energy Saver < Primacy, CrossClimate < Pilot

I had bad luck with the Michelin Defender on a previous car--wore out quickly, sub-par ride quality (subjective, of course). Will be trying out the new Pirelli in a few months because of: foam noise-canceling system, 50k treadwear warranty, 3-season usability, and hopefully similar energy consumption as the stock Michelins on the 18 inch Aero rims. TBD if an EV-specific aftermarket tire is a marketing or engineering exercise.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
no rubbing issues at all on any of the control arms. the 255/35/20 are basically a "stock" looking set up. I did a ton of research, and they are the sweet spot for these 9" rims. I really like the rims. The tires change the entire look of the car (for the better of course). make sure to set the tire set up in the wheel configurator to the track wheel designation as those rims have 245's as stock. This way the onboard computer system won't notice the difference in rotating circumference from to 26.8" to 27". And with tread wear, you will basically "wear-down tread rubber" into the range spec of the track package set up with the 245's. Highly recommend the Michelin PS4S.
64.1 center bore with +34 offset. There is another thread that covers this for the stock Uberturbine's but I am pretty sure this is accurate.
Waking up a dead thread, but wanted to ask about your tire set up. The 255 Michelin PS4S are the non acoustic correct? I was Looking on tire rack and looks like the only Tesla rated size is the original 235/35/20. I have A bubble on the sidewall of my stock pirellis on my M3P on Uber turbines and looking at replacing the 2 rears or just doing all 4 and running 255s all around. Also how much of a hit you take on your range? Live in nor cal and do a lot of freeway commuting.

I'm on my second set of Michelin Primacy Tour A/S 18", the first set served me well...very quiet, good grip, great wet, and only a ~10% efficiency hit from the OEM Michelins. The first set lasted 40K miles (on a 55k tire), America's Tire got me a 25% credit warranty per tire.

I'm very happy with these tires.

Hey everyone I own a 2021 Tesla Model 3 and I manage a Discount Tire store (16 years Experience) I have read mixed reviews, concerns, and comments about what setup is good for 20 inch. I know there is a ton of knowledge and experience with Tesla’s here but I thought I would share my set up if it helps anyone l. I am running the T Sportline 20x8.5 offset +35 square set up on tire size 255/35R20 Michelin 4S. There is absolutely no rubbing, hitting, or grinding. The Michelin 4s are a little noisier than my original 235/45R18 Michelin Primacy but very smooth and of course sticky! I’m thinking about running a quarter inch spacer in the rear and MAYBE going with the .75 lowering springs from T Sportline. I just hate messing with originally suspension because it’s never as smooth as a ride as before.
Is your M3 performance, LR, or SR? Any spacers or drop kit in your photos? Like your wheel setup and thinking I should order a set. Just wondering if they will look as good on my M3SR

I am looking at getting 225/45/18 tires when my current ones wear out. Has anyone used that size before? Any issues?

I am ultimately looking to reduce weight for drag racing and improve efficiency with a narrower tire. The track prep at our track is exceptional so traction should not be an issue.

I am looking at getting 225/45/18 tires when my current ones wear out. Has anyone used that size before? Any issues?

I am ultimately looking to reduce weight for drag racing and improve efficiency with a narrower tire. The track prep at our track is exceptional so traction should not be an issue.
225 is going to be a bit stretched on a 18x8.5 wheel. Other than that, shouldn't really be an issue.

A cool "max range" set up would be to get a super lightweight and aero efficient 18x7.5 wheel on a 225 tire.

Danny

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Sorry, Iv'e only got to page 10 so far, please forgive me if the quastion is answered later on:
Has Michelin released a Pilot Sport PS4S in size 245/35/20 with Tesla noise specs (T0) yet?
I doubt they would ever release that tire. 245/35/20 is not the standard Tesla tire size. They aren’t going to release a tire specifically for the Model 3 that is outside of the manufacturer’s standard dimensions.

I doubt going from 235 to 245 is a significant improvement in anything anyway. Going slightly wider doesn’t necessarily mean better unless you are simply going for a look. If that is the case then don’t get the Tesla specific tire.

Reactions: MODEL+
My aims:
1. Keep it quiet. My ears are hyper-sensitive to road noise
2. Don't introduce dimensional hiccups (computer not recognizing or adjusting to odd size circumferences)
3. This should actually be Number 1: stop curb rashes. Uberturbines and 235/35/20s are a joke!
4. Adding a little more grip would be a bonus

These points would have been at least slightly improved if Michelin 245s were T0 rated.

My aims:
1. Keep it quiet. My ears are hyper-sensitive to road noise
2. Don't introduce dimensional hiccups (computer not recognizing or adjusting to odd size circumferences)
3. This should actually be Number 1: stop curb rashes. Uberturbines and 235/35/20s are a joke!
4. Adding a little more grip would be a bonus

These points would have been at least slightly improved if Michelin 245s were T0 rated.
It really is a myth that tires can stop curb rash. If you hit a curb it is going to impact the tire and the wheel in almost all cases.

Where the tires can help are pot holes. A thicker sidewall definitely can help in those cases.

245s won’t help any of those things in reality. 18s with the foam would be your best choice or just the standard T0 or T1 tires if you stick to a 19” or 20” diameter.

Reactions: tm1v2