Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, yes, sorry I didn't realize it was a 2021. In that case, yes you already have 9" wheels. Therefore, 245/35/20 or 265/30/20 will keep the traction control happy. There is probably going to be some range loss putting 265's on over 245's, so I would probably say the 245 Michelin PS4S is your best option. You may also consider an aftermarket 19" wheel setup, which is my preference to protect against bends. Titan-7 makes really nice forged wheels, and T-Sportline is reasonably priced for relatively light flow-formed wheels.
I did 265/30, love the extra grip and rim protection. Only done 1,000 miles so far and first track day on these tires on 4/4 unless I splurge for some RE-71R and 19x9.5in wheels for track use.

Attachments

• IMG_1642.JPG
    IMG_1642.JPG
    511.5 KB · Views: 2,564
  • IMG_1830.JPG
    IMG_1830.JPG
    565 KB · Views: 1,426
Is anyone running this size tire 255/35/20 over the stock 235/35/20. I am looking at putting on Michelin pilot sport 4s.I am sure the tires will save the rims from curb rash but will take a hit on mileage / efficiency. Are 255's too wide and is clearance a known issue?

And does anyone have experience running run-flat tires?
Just my opinion but I wouldn’t go 255. I just went 245 and they do add some rim protection. However they don’t look great on the 20s. I would not go past 245. Also check on fitment. Tire rack gave me a hard time asking for 245s and wanted to sell me 235s.

• Disagree
Reactions: Brou and bcpm3p
Hi folks!
I’m new here, owning TM3P 2021 for 2 weeks. I’ve planned to use TM3 as my daily but since Uberturbine 20” 9” width are badly paired with 235 tires I have to fix it somehow. As some of you - so I join existing thread.

What can we do with wheels of TM3P 2021?
- accept them. Since I scratched my first rim seriously on the way back from dealership after picking up new car :( its matter of time I have next rims asking for new paint.
- swap tires to 245-255 on 20” rims. The cheapest option. It could affect a range, but what I see from different sites, rim size on same wheel diameter has biggest impact for energy economy. So the taller sides tire has, the better range is - which means 255 tires could be similar to 235 stretched on 9” rim. There could be an negative impact of higher car. I bet Tesla is using tyre rotation to measure the mileage driven, not GPS, so the real range after swapping tires 235 -> 255 could be 2% bigger than odometer shows
- swap rims to 8-8,5“ wide 20” rims - reasonable since used rims gets good prices but used tires not
- Or swapping wheels and tires to 19” - which would be probably the best for range and comfort

@Arctic blue, your pictures looks great. What about consumption/range? Can you share your numbers after the swap? I guess I’m not the only one waiting for them
The 255's completely change the look of the car from ...meh... to baaaddd assss...

Hi folks!
I’m new here, owning TM3P 2021 for 2 weeks. I’ve planned to use TM3 as my daily but since Uberturbine 20” 9” width are badly paired with 235 tires I have to fix it somehow. As some of you - so I join existing thread.

- accept them. Since I scratched my first rim seriously on the way back from dealership after picking up new car :( its matter of time I have next rims asking for new paint.
- swap tires to 245-255 on 20” rims. The cheapest option. It could affect a range, but what I see from different sites, rim size on same wheel diameter has biggest impact for energy economy. So the taller sides tire has, the better range is - which means 255 tires could be similar to 235 stretched on 9” rim. There could be an negative impact of higher car. I bet Tesla is using tyre rotation to measure the mileage driven, not GPS, so the real range after swapping tires 235 -> 255 could be 2% bigger than odometer shows
- swap rims to 8-8,5“ wide 20” rims - reasonable since used rims gets good prices but used tires not
- Or swapping wheels and tires to 19” - which would be probably the best for range and comfort

@Arctic blue, your pictures looks great. What about consumption/range? Can you share your numbers after the swap? I guess I’m not the only one waiting for them
In my opinion, 19" Wheels and Tires is the way to go. Much less headaches with blown out tires and bent rims, and it will let you pick exactly what you want.

Reactions: beastmode13
Hi folks!

Range loss is estimated to be 2 to 3%. I like the unberturbine stock performance rims, so going with 255's was a better option for me. I can tell you that the car looks absolutely amazing with the 255s. the tires fill in the wheel wells nicely. I set my tire configuration within the onboard system to the track package rims that use 245's. I am selling the 235's to offset the cost for the 255's. The 255's completely change the whole look of the car. The 255's look like they should have been the stock size as they fit the rims perfectly. Tires 1,400. 700 for the P-zero's, and the cost for the upgrade is worth it for me ($700 cost). Regards,

Reactions: OzBMR
And to be clear, those are 9.0 wide right? Any idea what the offset is? Look like you said no rubbing on the inside knuckle?

I'm about to order the exact rim size and offset you have if you don't have any issues. I don't want 255/35/20's to poke and it looks like you've landed the perfect fit.
Yes, Uberturbine 20” on TM3P is 9” wide, ET 34mm. Tire width for this rim is between 235 to 265mm.

And to be clear, those are 9.0 wide right? Any idea what the offset is? Look like you said no rubbing on the inside knuckle?

I'm about to order the exact rim size and offset you have if you don't have any issues. I don't want 255/35/20's to poke and it looks like you've landed the perfect fit.
no rubbing issues at all on any of the control arms. the 255/35/20 are basically a "stock" looking set up. I did a ton of research, and they are the sweet spot for these 9" rims. I really like the rims. The tires change the entire look of the car (for the better of course). make sure to set the tire set up in the wheel configurator to the track wheel designation as those rims have 245's as stock. This way the onboard computer system won't notice the difference in rotating circumference from to 26.8" to 27". And with tread wear, you will basically "wear-down tread rubber" into the range spec of the track package set up with the 245's. Highly recommend the Michelin PS4S.
64.1 center bore with +34 offset. There is another thread that covers this for the stock Uberturbine's but I am pretty sure this is accurate.

Reactions: ElectricGhost
Hello guys, I know this has been asked many many times, and I've done intensive searching, but still I could not find a specific answer.

I'm planning on changing my tires to Michelin ps4s on my LR model 3. After tons of researches, two sizes come in mind
1. 235/45R18 as the OEM size suggests
2. 255/40R18 where I suppose a slightly shorter sidewall will increase corner handling

The main thing I look for on the new tires is a darty turning feel that is both confident and fun. Which size will provide the best of this? I do not care much about range loss, noise, or aesthetics. Or should I go with other tire sizes (18 inch wheel)?

no rubbing issues at all on any of the control arms. the 255/35/20 are basically a "stock" looking set up. I did a ton of research, and they are the sweet spot for these 9" rims. I really like the rims. The tires change the entire look of the car (for the better of course). make sure to set the tire set up in the wheel configurator to the track wheel designation as those rims have 245's as stock. This way the onboard computer system won't notice the difference in rotating circumference from to 26.8" to 27". And with tread wear, you will basically "wear-down tread rubber" into the range spec of the track package set up with the 245's. Highly recommend the Michelin PS4S.
64.1 center bore with +34 offset. There is another thread that covers this for the stock Uberturbine's but I am pretty sure this is accurate.
Are you at stock height? Or have you lowered it? Thats affects camber which affect poke. Lower = more camber = less poke. If your stock height it's easier for me to compare too.

Moderator note:

Posts about tires, tire sizes etc have started to overwhelm this section. I am creating a master thread to consolidate these discussions into this thread. The reasons for this are:

1. To keep the various questions about specific tire make / model / sizes from pushing other posts off the first page
2. To have a consolidated thread that someone could eyeball and scan through to see if some specific tire / size / info was mentioned
3. To have a single place to look for those who attempt to support these questions for our members (both subject matter expert types and vendors, who attempt to provide support for members here on these questions)

Because of the way the forum software works, if I take current threads and merge them all into this one, it will make those current threads unreadable. This is because the forum software merges posts by time stamp, so various thread discussions will get broken up if I merge them all into one thread.

Going forward from today, however, all new discussion about Tires, Tire sizes people are running, Tire make and model, All Seasons vs Summer Tires, etc should be made in this thread.

To get people started with looking at some tire threads that are currently here in this section on TMC, I will link some below. This is not ment to be an all inclusive list, just threads that have had some activity around tires questions. As mentioned, I am not merging all of these into this thread in their entirety because any conversation in them would be broken, however, going forward, tire questions will be moved to this stickied thread. This should also help members see a bit why I am taking this action.