Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll start this off with a current pic and my setup then for records.

BC coilovers, Redwood F/R camber arms. 20x9 +15 255/35r20 and 20x10.5 +20 295/30r20 Ferrada.
20210411_141049.jpg
20210411_141038.jpg

no rubbing issues at all on any of the control arms. the 255/35/20 are basically a "stock" looking set up. I did a ton of research, and they are the sweet spot for these 9" rims. I really like the rims. The tires change the entire look of the car (for the better of course). make sure to set the tire set up in the wheel configurator to the track wheel designation as those rims have 245's as stock. This way the onboard computer system won't notice the difference in rotating circumference from to 26.8" to 27". And with tread wear, you will basically "wear-down tread rubber" into the range spec of the track package set up with the 245's. Highly recommend the Michelin PS4S.
64.1 center bore with +34 offset. There is another thread that covers this for the stock Uberturbine's but I am pretty sure this is accurate.
Are your Michelin PS4S EV dedicated tires? Or just out of the shelf?

European Union obligates tyre manufacturers to disclose information on efficiency, marking them from A (most efficient) to G (worst), there are no D. Showing also noise of the tyre. Looking at available 255/35 r20 tires current availability is:
- Michelin PS 4S: efficiency = E, 71dB (Michelin PS4 is A-grade, but 30% more expensive)
- Bridgestone Turanza T005: B, 72dB
- Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3: C, 69dB
- Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 5: B, 70dB
My first choice would be Michelin as yours. But here for EV I strongly consider Goodyear (assy 5) or Bridgestone. They could give better mileage than stock Pirelli, despite they are wider. There is a little risk: the fact your Michelin are ok does not mean Goodyear or Bridgestone would fit.

Could you share your efficiency you have now, on 255 with computer set to 245?

Are your Michelin PS4S EV dedicated tires? Or just out of the shelf?

European Union obligates tyre manufacturers to disclose information on efficiency, marking them from A (most efficient) to G (worst), there are no D. Showing also noise of the tyre. Looking at available 255/35 r20 tires current availability is:
- Michelin PS 4S: efficiency = E, 71dB (Michelin PS4 is A-grade, but 30% more expensive)
- Bridgestone Turanza T005: B, 72dB
- Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3: C, 69dB
- Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 5: B, 70dB
My first choice would be Michelin as yours. But here for EV I strongly consider Goodyear (assy 5) or Bridgestone. They could give better mileage than stock Pirelli, despite they are wider. There is a little risk: the fact your Michelin are ok does not mean Goodyear or Bridgestone would fit.

Could you share your efficiency you have now, on 255 with computer set to 245?
Where do you find these dB ratings? This is good stuff.

I'm sure this has been asked here before, but everyone's needs are different, so here I go...
I need new front tires for my 2019 Model 3, AWD with 18" Aeros. Based on a spreadsheet I found, it appears that Michelin CrossClimate+ come in ranked pretty high. Just wanted to confirm if that's still the most up-to-date recommendation. Also, I live in Southern California and the weather here tends to be warm and dry year round. Won't be doing a lot driving in rain / snow (apart from the occasional road trip). It is our primary family vehicle though, and ride comfort is important.

Thanks in advance!

Where do you find these dB ratings? This is good stuff.
It’s on every european tire retailer webpage, or european manufacturers’ webpages. Keep in mind it’s not measuring how annoying tyre is, just measured dB needed by law.
Same tires model are manufactured in many countries - Michelin in US is probably from North America. we can’t be sure they are the same.

If you are using the OEM wheels that are 8.5" wide, then the 255mm wide tires might actually be worse for cornering feel. While they do have better grip due to being wider (in the dry), the sidewalls also balloon out more than the wheels and can cause a slight feeling of drift when cornering when they flex. The OEM tires that Tesla uses as 235mm wide can look a little bit stretched on the wheels but will have less flex on the sidewalls while cornering.

Just my opinion but I wouldn’t go 255. I just went 245 and they do add some rim protection. However they don’t look great on the 20s. I would not go past 245. Also check on fitment. Tire rack gave me a hard time asking for 245s and wanted to sell me 235s.
Yes that's probably consistent with Tire Rack being kind of a fitment Nazi. They did not want to sell me the Tesla spec 275 / 30 20 in Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tire to put on a 10.5 inch rim because technically michelins listing does not allow 10.5 inch rims for that tire. I'm sure that's a mistake on Michelin part because the tire sits fine and is not stretched. Section width is wider than 10.5 in but I had a long argument with Tire Rack about this. They told me they would sell me the tire but if it failed that was on me. Did not endear me to tire rack.

So have 37k miles on my Tesla, owned for about 2 years, now it needs new tires. After taking the car to Tesla service, the guy said its time for new ties, and showed me the bald rear tires with no tread.

So now trying to find good deals on tires, whether its rebates or buy 3 get 1 free. I saw American Tire Depot and they have some good deals going on. This one tire I'm looking has $100 rebate & buy 3 get 1 free deal. Hopefully I chose the right tire. My Tesla Model 3 has aero wheels, so 18".

The Costco Tire repair guy said that Tesla come with the Michelan Primacy that have foam for acoustic purposes. For quieter ride. He said if I don't go with that, I may get a louder tire, but not sure. No deals on this exact tire as good as other options. I really don't care, a tire is a tire I'm not gonna look it, so would finding the best deal with a name brand tire be good enough? I hope GoodYears are good, it's a huge name and they got cool blimps and associated with NASCAR. If a tire is a tire, just want the best deal from a name brand tire.

Will I really notice any difference if I forgo getting the Michelan Primacy that came on the Tesla Model 3? Can't find much discounts for this tire.

Attachments

• IMG_20210423_033905.jpg
    IMG_20210423_033905.jpg
    653.1 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_20210423_034017.jpg
    IMG_20210423_034017.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy and KenC
I just put some Michelin CrossClimate 2's on mine, but the sale is over I think. I haven't driven enough to really know how my efficiency has been affected. I went to Discount Tires - I don't know what they are called in California. My tires looked ALMOST as bad as yours at 30K, but I had a trip coming up and couldn't wait any longer.

Hi, am going to be ordering a Model 3P or a Jaguar i-pace this year, am as yet undecided but leaning heavily toward the Tesla. One possible issue is that I can't find a winter or 4 season tire to fit the Model 3 Performance's stock wheels. Anyone know of any that exist?

Take a look at the Michelin CrossClimate+. I put them on last fall and they have been great. Didn't get any real snow but for wet and dry roads they have been great. And the test reports indicate good snow performance. The tires are at least as quiet as the OEM tires, and we like the handling better. Efficiency is about 3% below the original tires.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I understand tires arent sexy, and that financial circumstances differ and change, but I might suggest; tires are not the place to skimp and go low budget. Think about it, your tires are the only thing on your expensive car that actually come in contact with the road surface (in an ideal work 🙃 ) they are what make you go, AND what make you stop. I see you are in OC, so you probably dont need two sets, lucky you! That means get one good set and not worry about it for another 25k. Tesla OE Pilot sport 4S's are $230/per with a reasonable warranty (6yrs prorated until 2/32nds tread). You can get some PZero PZ4's for $188/per.

Dont wear sketchers with your tuxedo, complete the "outfit" with quality wheels and you'll be better off.