Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model 3 long range AWD. currently have 19k miles on it and tires almost worn out. Have the 19" inch tesla wheels. Currently on the OEM continental 235/40R19 96W XL. Looking to replace them , maybe with Michelin Primacy MXM4's. Anyone that changed this have any feedback on road noise, and how bad is it, or any other tire options you were pleased with.
I've had the MXM4s in 18" and the Continental Procontact RX in 19" on my car. The MXM4s are fair to good in the dry and wet, but poor on snow or ice. They're reasonably quiet. I think the Continentals are good to very good in the dry and wet, and much better than the MXM4s on snow or ice although still only fair to poor. They're also quiet and they handle better than the Michelin's although I expect some of that is due to the lower profile with 19" versus 18" tires. Depending on what you're looking for, I think there are better choices out there than either one of these tires.

Different then average request:
Is there a quiet (quieter then stock 18?s), good range tire that is relatively inexpensive (least important)? I live in Arizona so summer tires are fine, and I'm not terribly worried about performance in the wet... Thanks!

Road noise is driving me insane and most of my driving is commuting on the highway at 70mph...
What cold tire pressure are you running?

Im about to just get some concert ear plugs. My soon to have 255s are probably going to be too loud too...
It's probably the combination of significantly wider tread plus lack of acoustic foam. You could get some do-it-yourself lightweight acoustic foam and attach it to the inside rim of the tread but you'd be on your own of course. If you're brave enough to try that of course the forum would be most interested in your results! I'll try to dig out the link for the product that I have which is a closed-cell lightweight acoustic foam.

I have a 2018 Model 3 long range AWD. currently have 19k miles on it and tires almost worn out. Have the 19" inch tesla wheels. Currently on the OEM continental 235/40R19 96W XL. Looking to replace them , maybe with Michelin Primacy MXM4's. Anyone that changed this have any feedback on road noise, and how bad is it, or any other tire options you were pleased with.
If you can wait just a bit the new Michelin Pilot Sport EV is supposed to be released this month. A lot of people are hoping it will bring much of the goodness of the Pilot Sport line of tires without the efficiency hit that comes with the other models. I haven't been able to find out what sizes they will be available in initially though.

If you can wait just a bit the new Michelin Pilot Sport EV is supposed to be released this month. A lot of people are hoping it will bring much of the goodness of the Pilot Sport line of tires without the efficiency hit that comes with the other models. I haven't been able to find out what sizes they will be available in initially though.
Its not going to be 4s level of grip. It's obvious from the press release. And it's already going to be installed on Chinese Model Y, not M3P.

I am just a boring driver with no special needs or concerns driving a 2018 Model 3 AWD FSD with about 30,000 miles on it. I am thinking that car will be due for tire replacement soon. (I am getting a thread depth gauge and with measure that soon.) What replacement tires would you recommend for a Model 3 AWD driving mostly highway at about 75 mph in central California?

I am just a boring driver with no special needs or concerns driving a 2018 Model 3 AWD FSD with about 30,000 miles on it. I am thinking that car will be due for tire replacement soon. (I am getting a thread depth gauge and with measure that soon.) What replacement tires would you recommend for a Model 3 AWD driving mostly highway at about 75 mph in central California?
What size rims? How did you like the stock tires were there any specific likes/dislikes? Would you be willing to give up some range or would that be a dealbreaker?

I have just put a set of Nokian One tires on our 2018 M3 LR. The OEM Michelin averaged 250 watts per mile over their life of 60k miles. I have 956 miles on this set with an average of 256 Wh/mi. I expect them to only improve from here as the new tire syndrome wears off.

They feel very smooth and do seem quieter but these are subjective comments. I have had a set on order through Point S for a couple months. I'll provide an update as time goes by. You may want to consider this tire.

Reactions: Jejunjm
I have just put a set of Nokian One tires on our 2018 M3 LR. The OEM Michelin averaged 250 watts per mile over their life of 60k miles. I have 956 miles on this set with an average of 256 Wh/mi. I expect them to only improve from here as the new tire syndrome wears off.

They feel very smooth and do seem quieter but these are subjective comments. I have had a set on order through Point S for a couple months. I'll provide an update as time goes by. You may want to consider this tire.

Interesting. That is a pretty new tire without much by the way of reviews available so far. I will be very interested in your comments.

Reactions: Jejunjm
Just ordered some 20x9 wheels and am going with some 245 ps4’s. There are like 5 different variants of the ps4’s. Does anyone know the specific differences between the variants. I see two Ferrari specific ps4’s so I’m guessing those are oem for Ferrari.

regular size rims. aerodynamic. not special. the ones with the most range. I did like the stock tires. I like range, that is a high priority. what are the trade-offs / choices?
When I say I like range, I mean the 300 mile range of a full charge. I do care about that. I care less about how long the tire lasts (30,000 miles...). I am not sure which one you were asking about.

When I say I like range, I mean the 300 mile range of a full charge. I do care about that. I care less about how long the tire lasts (30,000 miles...). I am not sure which one you were asking about.
Oh okay yeah that’s the range I meant as well. I’m assuming you have the Aeros. The stock tires are the most efficient ones but they aren’t that good in the wet. A lot of people are going with the crossclimates since it’s a good tire in all categories but you will lose some range compared to stock.

I used Wheel Offset Calculator to see what the effect would be.
See attachment.

1. Will I have any rubbing issues when I perform a 100% wheel turn if I go with the 265-35-19?
2. Anyone know how much of a efficiency hit I will take since the tire width will change from 9.3" to 10.4"?
3. I may want to upgrade to aftermarket wheels, stay at 19" and go up to 9" or 9.5" width wheel...what would be the ideal offset to stay square without fender rubbing on front & rear?
4. The calculator does not allow you to change the width of the wheel, unfortunately.
4. Don't plan to do any lowering (yet!?).
5. Don't plan to track, just to get a bit more rubber on the tarmac to bump up the steering performance while getting a better visual stance from f/r.

Thanks y'all!!

Attachments

• Model3 TireWheelCalculator.jpg
    Model3 TireWheelCalculator.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 118
I used Wheel Offset Calculator to see what the effect would be.
See attachment.

1. Will I have any rubbing issues when I perform a 100% wheel turn if I go with the 265-35-19?
2. Anyone know how much of a efficiency hit I will take since the tire width will change from 9.3" to 10.4"?
3. I may want to upgrade to aftermarket wheels, stay at 19" and go up to 9" or 9.5" width wheel...what would be the ideal offset to stay square without fender rubbing on front & rear?
4. The calculator does not allow you to change the width of the wheel, unfortunately.
4. Don't plan to do any lowering (yet!?).
5. Don't plan to track, just to get a bit more rubber on the tarmac to bump up the steering performance while getting a better visual stance from f/r.

Thanks y'all!!
275x35 r19 9.5 et30 fits both sides without an issue. 295 already requires uneven et at the front and the rear and front camber adjustment, so not for street use.

But I have to say - even with 275 your wheels are heavier, more expensive, aerodynamics is degraded, range is degraded, aquaplaning resistance is degraded, you're throwing way more stones from the road on front doors and rear fenders.

And for all that you might not even get any traction difference on a street.

Does it worth it?

Michelin pilot sport 4 as is a great tire. I have it in 245/40/19. Very happy. Have had the A/S3+ and the dsw06 (not the plus tho) on my CTSV prior.

The AS4 is a step up in dry and wet grip and still as responsive as the prior as3+, which was more responsive than the dsw06 IMO. The DSW06 was better in the snow than the as3+, but apparently the as4 is better than either in the snow; I just can’t comment yet.

100% recommend. The 245 profile with 8.6 contact is darn near equal in grip to the stock summer pzero (which is narrow for a 235 at just 7.8” contact). Maybe a touch less responsive than the pzero, but with it being higher sidewall and all season, not a surprise. I’m very happy.
I'm considering this exact tire (AS4) in this exact size (245/40R19) for the OG 19s. I've had DWS06es on a couple of cars, and still have them on an SUV (in 245/45R20) and I find them great (and had previous generation DWs on another car but, like you, no experience yet with the Plus). As you know, the AS4 in 245/40R19 is quite heavier than the DWS06 Plus (old non-Plus is the same weight), but the contact patch is smaller on the Contis. I'm a little conflicted which way to go, I assume the Contis would deliver a smaller blow to efficiency if for no other reason than the smaller contact patch.