Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had AS3+ and DWS06

The AS3+ was night and day a better performance tire. The DWS06 was slightly better in the snow.

With the AS4 being even better on dry wet performance (my experience) AND allegedly better in the snow, I 100% would recommend it over the DWS06 (though maybe their plus is better).

It’s a tad heavier, but not a ton. I’d take the performance edge for sure.

I had AS3+ and DWS06

The AS3+ was night and day a better performance tire. The DWS06 was slightly better in the snow.

With the AS4 being even better on dry wet performance (my experience) AND allegedly better in the snow, I 100% would recommend it over the DWS06 (though maybe their plus is better).

It’s a tad heavier, but not a ton. I’d take the performance edge for sure.
Thanks. I never see snow but I need AS because temps do drop into unsafe territory during winter for summer tires. I've tracked cars before but have no such plans for this car, and won't drive it on the street in a manner where a relatively small performance difference would make a safety difference; unless the Contis are really bad in the wet, I'm leaning towards saving 2 lb. unsprung weight per corner with possibly better efficiency. My car came with the ProContact RX and I actually don't find them to be as bad as people make them out to be. I'm looking to upsize 235/40->245/40 primarily for comfort to get some more sidewall, and the OEMs are quire pricey for a non-ultra premium tire.

Data on these tires for anyone else looking at 19s:
TireSizeWeightContact patch sizePrice TR 5/20/21
Conti ProContact RX OEM235/40R1923 lb.8.2"$261.67
Conti DWS06 Plus245/40R1924 lb.8.3"$203.99
Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4245/40R1926 lb.8.5"$249.09

I'm looking at the AS4s because they're newly available, when I last looked a few months ago they weren't made in this size. But I've always appreciated the lightness of the Contis, it's the same in DW (summer) guise. I don't think the Plus is a major upgrade (but could be wrong), in the end it's mostly deciding if I take the unsprung mass hit (and likely a larger efficiency loss) for some extra performance. I expect the DWS06 Plus to be better than the ProContact RX OEMs, although again on this car I really didn't mind them too much.

U got an LR huh? Makes. Difference. Coming from summer stickies on my performance, I chose the AS4 BECAUSE of the larger contact patch. I wanted to get more tire on the road to have the grip be as close as possible to the summer offering. I’m seeing the same efficiency (actually a very small bit better 294 vs 302 with summers)

If you are coming from the very low rolling resistance LR offering, your stance is a bit different than mine. Either the AS4 or the DWS06+ are improvements and you will be losing a tad of efficiency (where I gained some).

You probably can’t go wrong tbh. But I’d be willing to bet the AS4 is a bit more performance oriented. This was my experience with the last generation of these two tires. The DWS is closer to a grand touring than the PSAS which is closer to a summer tire. They weren’t absurdly different, but the biggest difference I can note is turn in.... the PS is stiffer in the sidewall and the turn in is sharper. Again, as I’m coming from a lower profile summer tire, this was my #1 priority. A tire as close to the summer tire as possible that I can still drive in light snow comfortably.

U got an LR huh? Makes. Difference. Coming from summer stickies on my performance, I chose the AS4 BECAUSE of the larger contact patch. I wanted to get more tire on the road to have the grip be as close as possible to the summer offering. I’m seeing the same efficiency (actually a very small bit better 294 vs 302 with summers)

If you are coming from the very low rolling resistance LR offering, your stance is a bit different than mine. Either the AS4 or the DWS06+ are improvements and you will be losing a tad of efficiency (where I gained some).

You probably can’t go wrong tbh. But I’d be willing to bet the AS4 is a bit more performance oriented. This was my experience with the last generation of these two tires. The DWS is closer to a grand touring than the PSAS which is closer to a summer tire. They weren’t absurdly different, but the biggest difference I can note is turn in.... the PS is stiffer in the sidewall and the turn in is sharper. Again, as I’m coming from a lower profile summer tire, this was my #1 priority. A tire as close to the summer tire as possible that I can still drive in light snow comfortably.
I hear you. I had a P3D+ as well with the MPS4Ses and honestly, outside of driving at the limit the car rode like trash because of the non-existent sidewall and boatanchor 20s -- did not like how that felt on the suspension. I do remember how bad the efficiency was, I drove both the P and the non-P w/ 19s (car in question, due for new tires) LA -> Dallas and I had to make extra stops and on one leg go slower to make it in the P. I could've kept either car and kept the non-P because it's easier to live with (it was there, I didn't have to change wheels, etc.). I don't think the OEM RXes are specifically LRR, efficiency isn't great but I run high psi and it's just okay. The good thing about them is that even for a middle of the road, nothing special All Season tire, the LR AWD can still put power down to its design specification of 4.4s 0-60 no problem, even in light wetness it doesn't usually engage TC much, which was surprising. On paper at least, the DWS06es are in the same exact category as the AS4s, outside of some small differences like sidewall stiffness they should be very close in performance -- but both head & shoulders above the RXes, which are true Grand Touring tires, in terms of performance. The question is, at what tradeoffs. Honestly, the biggest reason I'm considering the AS4s because I've never had Michelin All Seasons on any of my cars (only summers).

Edit: I forgot to say, but after having DWSes on diff cars for a while, I kinda want to take a break from its distinctive tread pattern, so it looks like I'll be testing AS4s! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mahamilto
I bought some of the new 18x9.5" ET34 APEX EC-7R Forged Tesla Model 3 Wheels from a supplier here in Canada who agreed to fit 265/40r18 Goodyear Supercar 3's (a 200 tread wear tire) and deliver them to me. It saved me the hassle of driving the bare rims to a tire shop to get tires mounted locally. Today the wheels arrived and I find they've shipped me Goodyear Supercar 3 R's, which are very different (the 3 R's are 100 tread wear). They're telling me they can't take them back and only offering a small discount in compensation (initially $100, up to $300 now after some complaining). I'm only starting to get involved in lapping days here locally and much of the driving will be done on the street in 2021 (i also have winter tires for the cold seasons). I'm pretty annoyed at this point. Should I be happy with $300 back and the 3R tires? Wondering what everyone thinks. 200TW was already pretty aggressive so jumping to 100TW seems a bit crazy, and i worry about traction on wet roads (we have plenty of those in Canada during the summer months).

image0-9.jpeg

Reactions: wenkan and dfwatt
Anyone replace their A/S OEM ProContact Continental Tires with this latest model? Looking for first hand experiences with range changes, noise, and performance in summer and in light snow and rain.Anyone have personal experience

Anyone have these Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 tires on their Tesla? How is the range and noise?

Attachments

• 4A4226BE-9945-4C9B-9B15-1C312976A428.jpeg
    4A4226BE-9945-4C9B-9B15-1C312976A428.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 55
Just ordered some 20x9 wheels and am going with some 245 ps4’s. There are like 5 different variants of the ps4’s. Does anyone know the specific differences between the variants. I see two Ferrari specific ps4’s so I’m guessing those are oem for Ferrari.
If you check out the spec sheet on that tire for example available at Tire Rack you will see that the Tesla spec (TO) is actually wider than any 245 PS4S option. Not only is the tread wider but you get acoustic foam. The trade-off is it's about a pound heavier, and that's certainly more from the bigger wider tread than the acoustic foam which weighs roughly about 3-4 oz. But it's worth it because we've run other PS4S tires that are not Tesla spec and they are noisier and not quite as grippy.

I bought some of the new 18x9.5" ET34 APEX EC-7R Forged Tesla Model 3 Wheels from a supplier here in Canada who agreed to fit 265/40r18 Goodyear Supercar 3's (a 200 tread wear tire) and deliver them to me. It saved me the hassle of driving the bare rims to a tire shop to get tires mounted locally. Today the wheels arrived and I find they've shipped me Goodyear Supercar 3 R's, which are very different (the 3 R's are 100 tread wear). They're telling me they can't take them back and only offering a small discount in compensation (initially $100, up to $300 now after some complaining). I'm only starting to get involved in lapping days here locally and much of the driving will be done on the street in 2021 (i also have winter tires for the cold seasons). I'm pretty annoyed at this point. Should I be happy with $300 back and the 3R tires? Wondering what everyone thinks. 200TW was already pretty aggressive so jumping to 100TW seems a bit crazy, and i worry about traction on wet roads (we have plenty of those in Canada during the summer months).

View attachment 664368
Supposed to be a great performing Tire both in the west and in the dry but rather rough riding. But if your principal purpose for these is tracking the car you should be happy. Just make sure you run enough negative camber or they won't last long at all.

If you check out the spec sheet on that tire for example available at Tire Rack you will see that the Tesla spec (TO) is actually wider than any 245 PS4S option. Not only is the tread wider but you get acoustic foam. The trade-off is it's about a pound heavier, and that's certainly more from the bigger wider tread than the acoustic foam which weighs roughly about 3-4 oz. But it's worth it because we've run other PS4S tires that are not Tesla spec and they are noisier and not quite as grippy.
Are we referring to Section width? On the spec sheet in tirerack, the tesla spec 235/35 ps4 has a 9.5" section width. The 245/35/20 have a 9.8" section width. It'd be nice if the tesla spec tire was actually wider than the 245 ps4. I would definetely stick with the 235 in that case.

Are we referring to Section width? On the spec sheet in tirerack, the tesla spec 235/35 ps4 has a 9.5" section width. The 245/35/20 have a 9.8" section width. It'd be nice if the tesla spec tire was actually wider than the 245 ps4. I would definetely stick with the 235 in that case.

Well the section width of the 245 is greater but the tread width of the 235 Tesla Spec tire is actually greater. In other words its got a more broad-shouldered tread stuffed on a narrower section.

My RE71R’s are close to their end and I heard they are discontinued. Looking for a replacement and GYSC3 seems to be the people’s choice.

Anyone had any chance ran them on combined road/track/autocross experience? I can handle my 71r pretty good in rain on highway but not sure if GYSC3 is comparable or worse.

A052 is the tire to win in Solo Nats. Its just better when it comes to concrete. Asphalt is better but the gap shrinks. But you will kill shoulders without camber so its a bit of a shame to run.

RT660 is basically the new RE71r but some local folks (national champion drivers) have claimed it to be useless when Sub-50deg and wet. Others have had good success when warmer but wet. RE71 has been pretty good both dry and wet, warm and cold. But doesnt touch the A052 in either condition.

For the tesla, I got 265 RE71 because it only have -1.2deg of camber currently. Once we burn up this set I'll bump up to a 295 A052 and more camber.
I’m also looking for the replacement of my RE71r, how is Goodyear Supercar3 compare to A052 and RT660?

I’m also looking for the replacement of my RE71r, how is Goodyear Supercar3 compare to A052 and RT660?
Not likely competitive in the dry. It's probably a better Tire in the wet where it has a great reputation. But in the dry it's not close to the A052 fact it's probably not even as good as a Pilot Sport 4S which is not a track tire. That might change if it's a tw100 tire with the R-compound. But in terms of the tw200 tire, it's just OK in the dry but it's better in the wet. Probably doesn't ride as well either as the A052

Reactions: wenkan
I am looking for a new tire to put on my 19"x9" Titan 7 TS5 wheels. I've ran Pilot Sport AS3/AS3+/AS4 for years, I agree with most that it is far and away the best tire in class. Before that I ran DWS 06 and loved those and my last car had crossclimate plus's as I was in need of better winter performance and those did very well, definitely not as sporty and not all that quiet.

Anywho, here's my dilemma, I will not have the ability to charge my model 3 at home for several months so I will be relying on public chargers meaning range is fairly important to me. I would like a high performing all season tire but I don't want the 10%-20% range hit I've heard from the AS4. I'm roughly after something with closer to 5% range hit and a little lower performance than the AS4 is just fine. Anyone have any recommendations? Would like decent driving dynamics but certainly doesn't have to be the most sporty thing ever.

Been researching all over the place but I can't come to a conclusion. I am also dropping the car almost 2" with the MPP comfort coilovers so that might make up for some of the range loss, hard to determine though. Really wish those Pilot Sport EV tires were out, but I won't be able to wait long enough for those.

Last edited:
Michelin 18" Primacy Tour A/S vs. CrossClimate 2

I'm looking for quiet, comfort, efficiency, safety for my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD. I don't go to the track. I live in North Carolina and don't drive in snow. Michelin website specifically touts the Primacy Tour A/S as quiet, but the sales guy at Discount Tire is pushing the CrossClimate 2 instead, saying everybody with Tesla's likes them and the Primacy Tour A/S are old. (Both models say "latest generation" on the Michelin website) Wish I could find objective data to compare these two models. If not, any opinions out there? Thanks.

What version of the Model 3 do you have? What tire sizes are currently on your car? What issues have caused you to have to replace tires - wear-out or road hazard? Punctures or potholes?

If you have the 20" wheels, road hazards can definitely limit their life if you live in a rough-road part of the country. I have the 18" wheels, and have never had an issue - taller sidewalls help a lot, and we don't have potholes here. Of course, if you have a Model 3P, you may not be able to put 18" wheels on the car; I don't think they'll fit over the brakes on the Performance.

Give us a bit more information, and we can help.