Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What version of the Model 3 do you have? What tire sizes are currently on your car? What issues have caused you to have to replace tires - wear-out or road hazard? Punctures or potholes?

If you have the 20" wheels, road hazards can definitely limit their life if you live in a rough-road part of the country. I have the 18" wheels, and have never had an issue - taller sidewalls help a lot, and we don't have potholes here. Of course, if you have a Model 3P, you may not be able to put 18" wheels on the car; I don't think they'll fit over the brakes on the Performance.

Give us a bit more information, and we can help.
Aftermarket 18 fit over P brakes.

Looking for anyone who has installed mods specifically for tire noise and who can advise what has been successful for them.

Recently replaced the original 19" Conti tires on my wife's 2018 Long Range 3. I wanted a tire upgrade and after reading reviews went with Michelin Cross Climate 2's and am very happy with the improved traction/handling, etc. Some reduction in range, which I expected.

Shortly after replacing the tires we took a 1,300 mile trip over 3 days and on some interstate surfaces the tire noise is really bad. As in headache inducing, temporary loss of hearing like I've been to a rock concert, make me want to wear noise cancelling headphones when I'm the passenger, bad. I had also been considering the Bridgestone Quiettrack instead of the Mich Cross Climate 2's, and am now wondering if I should have done the Quiettracks. But now too late.

Thanks to anyone who can advise what has helped for tire noise.

I feel like a broken record but here goes - please don't put inappropriately sized tires on your Model 3. We've had several documented cases of issues with the Traction Control/ABS/Stability systems due to undersized or oversized tires. The "safe" range is 26" to 26.8" (1.1% max difference from stock options).

If you feel like you need wider tires, step up to 265/30/20's. Of course, then you need wider wheels (9"+) which defeats the whole purpose of your goal regardless. The better option for stock 20" wheels is 245/35/20's.

The trick to curb protection is not hitting the curbs ;)

P.S. If you would like to put rolling cement blocks onto your car and ruin your efficiency, buy "run-flats" (which is a misnomer in itself, and far more aggravation then it is worth IMHO).
Maybe I should know this already, but I don't, so about help is appreciated...

I have the stock 20" wheels, 2018 Model 3 Performance. I'd like to get Quatrac Pro tires, because they seem to be quietest. They don't exist in 235/35r20. Not much exists in that size. So, are you saying that 245/35r20 front and rear are an acceptable size substitution?

Maybe I should know this already, but I don't, so about help is appreciated...

I have the stock 20" wheels, 2018 Model 3 Performance. I'd like to get Quatrac Pro tires, because they seem to be quietest. They don't exist in 235/35r20. Not much exists in that size. So, are you saying that 245/35r20 front and rear are an acceptable size substitution?
Yup that would be fine!

Reactions: F123456
My 19" Sport wheel Contis RX are donezo after 26k miles, looking for recommendations?

What's important to me:
- range (about the same as my contis or better)
- performance (about the same or better)
- durability / milage (looking for better than OEM Contis)

Really insightful replies here, thanks guy.

Looking for some feedback. I just picked up some 19x9.5 Titan 7 T-S5s and am debating on what size tire to put on.

I'm between 265/35, 255/40 and 255/35 right now. Looking to get optimal comfort and least amount of range reduction as possible. Anyone have an idea what the difference in range impact is between the 255 and 265 tires? I don't mind running the wider tire if range impact is around 5% difference. I am coming from the OEM 2020 20" performance wheels with OEM PS4s.

I am leaning towards 255/40 at the moment since this will give me more sidewall for protection and comfort, but worried that these will rub. I am at stock height.

Any experience would be helpful, thanks!

Looking for some feedback. I just picked up some 19x9.5 Titan 7 T-S5s and am debating on what size tire to put on.

I'm between 265/35, 255/40 and 255/35 right now. Looking to get optimal comfort and least amount of range reduction as possible. Anyone have an idea what the difference in range impact is between the 255 and 265 tires? I don't mind running the wider tire if range impact is around 5% difference. I am coming from the OEM 2020 20" performance wheels with OEM PS4s.

I am leaning towards 255/40 at the moment since this will give me more sidewall for protection and comfort, but worried that these will rub. I am at stock height.

I got the same wheels and decided to go 265/35/19. There's some mention about 255/40/19 rubbing - MASTER THREAD: Aftermarket Wheels on Model 3

Reactions: SirLaz
I got the same wheels and decided to go 265/35/19. There's some mention about 255/40/19 rubbing - MASTER THREAD: Aftermarket Wheels on Model 3
Thanks. Yeah, after combing through the threads here I think I am leaning towards the 265/35 too. Seems like that is the go to for 19x9.5 wheels.

How do you like the wheels? What setup to you switch from? Interested to here how it affected your range, performance and road noise/comfort.

I have been in the same boat trying to decide between 19x9 or 19x9.5 T7 T-S5 squared setups. I can tell you from months of research and reviews, and just recently inquiring with a member here who was a former or still is a Tesla engineer, the best tire size for 19x9.5 are going to be 265/35 as they nearly match the OEM diameter of 235/40.

Unfortunately, I have discovered that there are no Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires made by any manufacturer (at least ones with the proper XL load index) in this size. HOWEVER, there are LRR tires available in 275/35 in Vredestein Quatrac Pro that have great reviews. But 275/35 unfortunately will not fit the front unless you have a lower offset, which isn't going to be available in your wheels. So your best option would be ultra high performance all season tires in 265/35, which will unfortunately yield more than a 5% range hit.

I've considered 255/35 as well, but it's not worth the lower profile you get, which will only result in bumpier ride, your car being lower by almost .20 inches, and your fender gap increasing. Not to mention your speedometer will be thrown off and could affect your ABS.

You could try 255/40, as i've read one member going with this size. But i'm not sure what factors there are to consider with this size as I never considered it an option based on what I was going for.

If you don't mind a "mild" stretched look, you can go with 245/40 size tires to minimize and possibly even maintain your range like you're aiming to do.

I hope this helps.

NOTE: a lot of the information being discussed in this thread applies to 20" diameter wheels, while you're asking about 19".

Thanks. Yeah, after combing through the threads here I think I am leaning towards the 265/35 too. Seems like that is the go to for 19x9.5 wheels.

How do you like the wheels? What setup to you switch from? Interested to here how it affected your range, performance and road noise/comfort.

I'm currently running the aero wheels. Gonna get the new wheels mounted with Michelin A/S 3+ tires tomorrow!

I have been in the same boat trying to decide between 19x9 or 19x9.5 T7 T-S5 squared setups. I can tell you from months of research and reviews, and just recently inquiring with a member here who was a former or still is a Tesla engineer, the best tire size for 19x9.5 are going to be 265/35 as they nearly match the OEM diameter of 235/40.

Unfortunately, I have discovered that there are no Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires made by any manufacturer (at least ones with the proper XL load index) in this size. HOWEVER, there are LRR tires available in 275/35 in Vredestein Quatrac Pro that have great reviews. But 275/35 unfortunately will not fit the front unless you have a lower offset, which isn't going to be available in your wheels. So your best option would be ultra high performance all season tires in 265/35, which will unfortunately yield more than a 5% range hit.

I've considered 255/35 as well, but it's not worth the lower profile you get, which will only result in bumpier ride, your car being lower by almost .20 inches, and your fender gap increasing. Not to mention your speedometer will be thrown off and could affect your ABS.

You could try 255/40, as i've read one member going with this size. But i'm not sure what factors there are to consider with this size as I never considered it an option based on what I was going for.

If you don't mind a "mild" stretched look, you can go with 245/40 size tires to minimize and possibly even maintain your range like you're aiming to do.

I hope this helps.

NOTE: a lot of the information being discussed in this thread applies to 20" diameter wheels, while you're asking about 19".
Thanks for the insight! I know I have been researching this stuff a lot recently too, and it is a lot to try and figure out. But what you said makes sense, I will take that into consideration and I appreciate the knowledge. Leaning towards just going a 265/35 setup for now and can consider other tire options when its time for a change.

Thanks for the insight! I know I have been researching this stuff a lot recently too, and it is a lot to try and figure out. But what you said makes sense, I will take that into consideration and I appreciate the knowledge. Leaning towards just going a 265/35 setup for now and can consider other tire options when its time for a change.
Just to add to the fray, here is a Model 3 with 265/35/19 tires

20200406_182008-jpg.546661

Also a video of a Model 3 with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 255/35/20 (You can jump to 9:00)

Reactions: SirLaz
Last week I replaced the 265/30/20 PS4S with 255/35/20 Michelin AS3+ and what a mistake. I knew speed readings and etc would be off but it’s bad, returning them today for 235/35/20 stock sizing in PS4S since I need the range for my upcoming cross country trip. Wasn't a huge fan of the AS3 anyways. Once I’m back, then I’ll go back to 265/30
3ECC14F2-ECB8-4B84-A006-7CFE6D427F32.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: P-Lo801
Last week I replaced the 265/30/20 PS4S with 255/35/20 Michelin AS3+ and what a mistake. I knew speed readings and etc would be off but it’s bad, returning them today for 235/35/20 stock sizing in PS4S since I need the range for my upcoming cross country trip. Wasn't a huge fan of the AS3 anyways. Once I’m back, then I’ll go back to 265/30 View attachment 669861
Do you mind elaborating on the etc.? How bad was the speed reading?

Just to add to the fray, here is a Model 3 with 265/35/19 tires

20200406_182008-jpg.546661

Also a video of a Model 3 with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 255/35/20 (You can jump to 9:00)

Thanks for sharing!

Curious if anyone has seen a 245/40 tire mounted on a 19x9.5 wheel. That is my preferred sizing at the moment due to range concerns, but I am worried the tire will stretch too much and expose too much of the wheel. Don't really want to take the risk of getting 255/40 and having it rubbing, so in between 245/40 and 265/35 now.

Pretty off, Said 80 when I was really doing 84. odometer and range calculation too was wayyy off. Claiming I did 450wh/mi past week.
Last week I replaced the 265/30/20 PS4S with 255/35/20 Michelin AS3+ and what a mistake. I knew speed readings and etc would be off but it’s bad, returning them today for 235/35/20 stock sizing in PS4S since I need the range for my upcoming cross country trip. Wasn't a huge fan of the AS3 anyways. Once I’m back, then I’ll go back to 265/30 View attachment 669861
So much better, just got back from swapping em out. Back on stock PS4S now. Miss the grip of the 265 but worth it.

Attachments

• E554F4EC-5171-4B33-B8E0-858023FCD6C5.jpeg
    E554F4EC-5171-4B33-B8E0-858023FCD6C5.jpeg
    414.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 14296057-0305-46A0-A2BB-29C2E7B9FCFF.jpeg
    14296057-0305-46A0-A2BB-29C2E7B9FCFF.jpeg
    557.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 1822131A-951E-486B-B699-612805174487.jpeg
    1822131A-951E-486B-B699-612805174487.jpeg
    513.7 KB · Views: 104
Thanks for sharing!

Curious if anyone has seen a 245/40 tire mounted on a 19x9.5 wheel. That is my preferred sizing at the moment due to range concerns, but I am worried the tire will stretch too much and expose too much of the wheel. Don't really want to take the risk of getting 255/40 and having it rubbing, so in between 245/40 and 265/35 now.

I got my 265/35/19 A/S3+ tires mounted and put slapped on the wheels. Rear was perfectly flush, but the front tire lips poke out ~5-8mm. I think if I got a 245/255 tire, it wouldn't poke as much. I'm currently lowered ~1 inch with MPP non-adjustable comforts using their recommended initial settings with -.7 and -1.1 camber on the fronts.

Previously with aero wheels, I was getting 223wh/mi for the current rotation. I've only driven with the new wheels for maybe 20 miles on city and 5 miles highway and was getting 250wh/mi.