Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had 265/30. Probs 15% worse.
Gotcha. And what made you switch back to the 235 instead of something in the middle like 245 or 255?

I was originally supposed to get 19x9 wheels and I was going to put 245/40 on them, but due to backorder I went with 19x9.5 instead. I would love to still put the 245/40s on, but I am afraid they will be too stretched and look weird/not give a lot of protection for the wheel.

I got my 265/35/19 A/S3+ tires mounted and put slapped on the wheels. Rear was perfectly flush, but the front tire lips poke out ~5-8mm. I think if I got a 245/255 tire, it wouldn't poke as much. I'm currently lowered ~1 inch with MPP non-adjustable comforts using their recommended initial settings with -.7 and -1.1 camber on the fronts.

Previously with aero wheels, I was getting 223wh/mi for the current rotation. I've only driven with the new wheels for maybe 20 miles on city and 5 miles highway and was getting 250wh/mi.
Thanks for the follow up, congrats on the new setup! Yeah, I suspected the front may poke out a lil bit more than I would have desired, but I can live with that.

And that efficiency really isn't bad. I have OEM 20" performance wheels with the OEM PS4s and I am getting around 300 wh/mi. And honestly, if I can keep that average with my new wheels and a 265/35 setup I would be happy. I am still debating between going either 245/40 or 255/40, but with 245 I am worried about the tire stretch and the 255 I am worried about it rubbing, so both options have potential downfalls lol. That's why I feel like the 265/35 is the optimal choice at the expense of range.

Would love to see a pic of the new wheels too!

Gotcha. And what made you switch back to the 235 instead of something in the middle like 245 or 255?

I was originally supposed to get 19x9 wheels and I was going to put 245/40 on them, but due to backorder I went with 19x9.5 instead. I would love to still put the 245/40s on, but I am afraid they will be too stretched and look weird/not give a lot of protection for the wheel.
This summer I am road tripping a ton (including cross country trips) so want most range possible. I’ll be needing a new set in a few months anyways then I’ll do 245

Reactions: SirLaz
This summer I am road tripping a ton (including cross country trips) so want most range possible. I’ll be needing a new set in a few months anyways then I’ll do 245
That makes sense. And the 235 isn't too stretched on your wheels in your opinion? I think a 235 on a 9" wide wheel is similar to putting a 245 on a 9.5" wheel and judging by the pic you posted, it doesn't look too stretched to me but hard to tell from one pic.

Reactions: Delraybeach
Thanks for the follow up, congrats on the new setup! Yeah, I suspected the front may poke out a lil bit more than I would have desired, but I can live with that.

And that efficiency really isn't bad. I have OEM 20" performance wheels with the OEM PS4s and I am getting around 300 wh/mi. And honestly, if I can keep that average with my new wheels and a 265/35 setup I would be happy. I am still debating between going either 245/40 or 255/40, but with 245 I am worried about the tire stretch and the 255 I am worried about it rubbing, so both options have potential downfalls lol. That's why I feel like the 265/35 is the optimal choice at the expense of range.

Would love to see a pic of the new wheels too!

M8jCN4E.jpg

Regarding the front poke, this is looking from rear. I lined up the opposite edges of the tire lips in these pics.
KSEAwsD.jpg

Looking towards rear:
tGMPDsa.jpg

The poke is more pronounced if you look from the front since the fender isn't parallel with the wheel the entire way through. It tapers inboard as it gets closer to the bumper. I'm going to lower the car an additional 0.5". Hopefully the additional camber tucks it the tire a bit more

That makes sense. And the 235 isn't too stretched on your wheels in your opinion? I think a 235 on a 9" wide wheel is similar to putting a 245 on a 9.5" wheel and judging by the pic you posted, it doesn't look too stretched to me but hard to tell from one pic.

M8jCN4E.jpg

Regarding the front poke, this is looking from rear. I lined up the opposite edges of the tire lips in these pics.
KSEAwsD.jpg

Looking towards rear:
tGMPDsa.jpg

The poke is more pronounced if you look from the front since the fender isn't parallel with the wheel the entire way through. It tapers inboard as it gets closer to the bumper. I'm going to lower the car an additional 0.5". Hopefully the additional camber tucks it the tire a bit more
Wow, looks amazing! Yeah the poke is really not bad but I know I am picky at about my car so if I didn't like it, it would bug me lol. Im at stock height so do you think the poke would be minimized or more exaggerated? I am actually planning on getting MPP coilovers too, but that wont be for a while.

Thanks for this, not sure if I can't get over that stretch I am not a fan and it looks like the wheel's face is a lot more exposed. Still on the fence, but seems like 265 is the right option.

Wow, looks amazing! Yeah the poke is really not bad but I know I am picky at about my car so if I didn't like it, it would bug me lol. Im at stock height so do you think the poke would be minimized or more exaggerated? I am actually planning on getting MPP coilovers too, but that wont be for a while.

I'm thinking it would be similar since my camber isn't that crazy.

This guy has the same specs as me and looks like he is at stock height MASTER THREAD: Aftermarket Wheels on Model 3

Reactions: SirLaz
I'm thinking it would be similar since my camber isn't that crazy.

This guy has the same specs as me and looks like he is at stock height MASTER THREAD: Aftermarket Wheels on Model 3
Yea it almost looks less to me but probably just the angle of the photos. I think the middle ground for me is going 255/35, I am giving up some sidewall but its still more than the set up I am coming from now. Thanks for sharing and keep me updated on how you like it!

255/35/20’s on my model 3. Pilot Sport 4s on 20x 9.0 BC Forged wheels. Got 50 miles so far. So far so good. Enjoying them!

Offset is +35 on a stealth P3D. Put the zero-g wheels in the settings. Havent hit traction control enough to get a judge or use track mode yet.

Noise is not a lot louder than the EOM all season. The low humming frequency seem to have gone down a couple decibels. The mid freq humming had gone up a few decibel. More sound transfer through the suspension but just sounds more sporty, not terrible or difficult to talk over. The wheels also attentuate sound more too when you go over gaps in cement. Nothing terrible though. Dont be afraid of them. Feels better for sure with firmer footing to match the UP mild springs.

Attachments

• 5F5BCD00-A69A-47C8-A7D3-026FB41AC3FB.jpeg
    5F5BCD00-A69A-47C8-A7D3-026FB41AC3FB.jpeg
    787.4 KB · Views: 664
Last edited:
Does anyone know if America's / Discount Tire will transfer oem tires over to a different set of wheels? I have some wheels coming in and was going to order the exact oem PS4 Tesla specs. I just measured the tread on my oem tires and they're all 6/32" except for some minor inner camber wear from lowering with 4/32-5/32 in some spots.

Figured this will also be a good opportunity to see if i like the tesla 235's on a slightly wider 20x9 wheel

edit- they do as long as they have adequate tread

Last edited:
M8jCN4E.jpg

KSEAwsD.jpg

Looking towards rear:
tGMPDsa.jpg

How are you liking the wheel/tire setup so far? I have been doing a lot of research and I did find out the the A/S 3+ are quite wide tires in terms of tread width, they are 9.9" for the 265/35/19.

I think I have finally made up my mind and I am going to mount my wheels with 255/35/19 Continental DWS 06 plus since these had a slightly lower section width (10.4") and tread width (8.8"). I am hoping with the reduced width and the fact that I have M3P so it is ~5mm deeper, I won't have any poke. But no way to find out until I pull the trigger!

How are you liking the wheel/tire setup so far? I have been doing a lot of research and I did find out the the A/S 3+ are quite wide tires in terms of tread width, they are 9.9" for the 265/35/19.

I think I have finally made up my mind and I am going to mount my wheels with 255/35/19 Continental DWS 06 plus since these had a slightly lower section width (10.4") and tread width (8.8"). I am hoping with the reduced width and the fact that I have M3P so it is ~5mm deeper, I won't have any poke. But no way to find out until I pull the trigger!

My poke is 7-8mm right now, so sounds like your thinner rotors and tires won't poke as much. Honestly, I'm thinking about selling my setup and getting a smaller wheel or going back to aero wheels with spacers! The ride feels a little softer and grip is definitely better than the MXM4 tires, but the road noise got worse. These tires scream on some roads, though this doesn't really bother me that much. My efficiency was 223 for the last 8K miles (232 lifetime). It increased to 265-270 which is a crazy 15-20% hit. I've mainly done stop/go local driving.

My poke is 7-8mm right now, so sounds like your thinner rotors and tires won't poke as much. Honestly, I'm thinking about selling my setup and getting a smaller wheel or going back to aero wheels with spacers! The ride feels a little softer and grip is definitely better than the MXM4 tires, but the road noise got worse. These tires scream on some roads, though this doesn't really bother me that much. My efficiency was 223 for the last 8K miles (232 lifetime). It increased to 265-270 which is a crazy 15-20% hit. I've mainly done stop/go local driving.
Ouch yea that is quite the hit on efficiency. I am coming from the OEM 20" P wheels and PS4s (about 295 wh/mi lifetime with 10k miles) so I hoping for a similar efficiency with this new setup. A different tire might honestly make the road noise and efficiency better, those A/S3+ are pretty heavy as well as wide. You could drop down to a 255/35 or even 245/40 if you don't mind the stretch. Might save some headache of trying to sell your setup and get new. I've heard good things about the DWS06 plus and may also suggest looking into the Falken FK510 if you are fine with a budget summer tire. Both have significantly smaller tread width which from what I have gathered makes a big difference with efficiency as well as how much the setup affects the aerodynamics of the car so limiting the poke would yield more range I assume.

But I feel you on getting a smaller wheel, I ideally wanted 19x9 so I could fit a 245/40 without stretch but was impatient and didn't want to wait for them to get back in stock. There are also plenty of 19x8.5 or 18x8.5 options that you can use with the OEM size tires which shouldn't impact range, might actually improve it if you have significant enough weight reduction.

I will post my setup once I get it squared away!

I am also looking into getting the DWS 06 plus on my titan 7 TS5 19" x 9" but I haven't' been able to find much data on them. I'll probably risk it and get them mounted after next week. I'm also hoping for a minimal effect to the efficiency. I plan on doing 245/40 and will also have the MPP comfort suspension installed in a couple weeks when the stock comes in, probably will lower 1"-1.5". I'm interested to see the efficiency difference.

Last edited:
I am also looking into getting the DWS 06 plus on my titan 7 TS5 19" x 9" but I haven't' been able to find much data on them. I'll probably risk it and get them mounted after next week. I'm also hoping for a minimal effect to the efficiency. I plan on doing 245/40 and will also have the MPP comfort suspension installed in a couple weeks when the stock comes in, probably will lower 1"-1.5". I'm interested to see the efficiency difference.
If you are getting/have the 19x9 TS5, 245/40 will be perfect for a blend of aesthetics, performance and minimizing range loss. And if you are coming from the stock P wheels then I would imagine no efficiency hit at all since this combo will be a significant weight reduction. But if you are coming from 18" aeros, I would say you can expect a 5-10% efficiency hit depending on how you drive. This is obviously a guess from what I've gathered from reading through the threads here, but 19x9 is definitely the sweet spot for performance, aesthetics and minimizing range loss. Plus lowering should make the wheels even more aerodynamic if there is any poke, which I imagine there won't be with the 19x9. But please keep us updated on how it goes, interested to hear!

Reactions: Mastacater

Has anyone tried the Kumho Ecsta 4X II KU22 tire?​

Seeing the same deal. Has anyone tried? I had Kumho on my Golf before and was very happy with them, less noisy and better mileage than the stock tires.

Installation is free, thats a big plus. I see that this includes computerized balancing but then at checkout they want you sign up for the $99 wheel balancing, isnt that what they do initially anyway?

Last edited by a moderator: