Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BC forged 18*9.5J +35 square set up with Potenza RE-71RS 255/40/18. (with 3mm spacer to avoid the 2.5mm lip from M3P stock rotors)
Not for the looks obviously but the wheels only weigh 19.14 lbs each and I can already tell the big difference in terms of driving dynamics. Out of corner the power delivery is just soooo much quicker than the stock 19 inchers.
S__114811170.jpg

more pics

Great pics, very helpful. I'm looking at swapping out the 235/35 on my M3P I just got, a little stretched for my tastes, and running the same 255/35-20 MPS4, but I'm very likely going to stay on the stock suspension. Looks like it's a good fitment (for roughly the same sized wheel as my OEMs), fill the fenders a little better, much more squared off sidewalls (and really, on a 20x9, it should be a 245 or 255 ...)

Let me ask you this: is there any room for visual improvement with something like a 5mm slip over spacer on the rear? I realize it's not much, but they're pretty inexpensive, don't require any other changes, etc., with the +34 of the Ubers, I'd wind up with an effective +29 offset.

Did you go with the "EV flavor" (if available) of the MPS4?

I went through a couple pages and just seeking advice. I will be getting my m3p in the next few weeks and they obviously have the 20” uberturbines. I will be swapping the tires for all seasons as I’m in Chicago. Am I reading that I could go 245-35-20 so that would open up a much wider selection of tires? Do I need to have a Tesla approved tire? Just trying to figure out if I stick with uberturbines or if I sell the wheels and tires altogether and get a different set (likely would go 19s). Thanks for your input!
255/35/20 is the way to go. Assuming those are 20x9. Fills the wheel gap better. More tire to cushion and protect the rim. Cheaper tires too.

Reactions: gorilla83
Great pics, very helpful. I'm looking at swapping out the 235/35 on my M3P I just got, a little stretched for my tastes, and running the same 255/35-20 MPS4, but I'm very likely going to stay on the stock suspension. Looks like it's a good fitment (for roughly the same sized wheel as my OEMs), fill the fenders a little better, much more squared off sidewalls (and really, on a 20x9, it should be a 245 or 255 ...)

Let me ask you this: is there any room for visual improvement with something like a 5mm slip over spacer on the rear? I realize it's not much, but they're pretty inexpensive, don't require any other changes, etc., with the +34 of the Ubers, I'd wind up with an effective +29 offset.

Did you go with the "EV flavor" (if available) of the MPS4?
my offset is +35 with a 9.0 wide rim. You could prob do a 5mm space on the rear with +34 assuming the gray calipers like I have (don't know on the red ones offset). I wanted some slip stream cause aero. But I also get a little more tuck in because I got 0.5 in drop.

I have standard MPS4s tires. No noise reduction. Not too big a deal.

If noise is your concern, get the below. Wear them in airplane and on bikes. Dash rattles be damned! But really the tires are only like 2 dB louder, and then its not full spectrum noise. More of lower freq humming and some wheel resonating at the higher mids when you go over road joints, if I remember correct.

• Helpful
Reactions: MaskedRacerX
255/35/20 is the way to go. Assuming those are 20x9. Fills the wheel gap better. More tire to cushion and protect the rim. Cheaper tires too.
I've just purchased my 20x9" square wheel setup to replace my ubers (+35 offset as well) I've also been debating 245/35/20 or 255/35/20 - I was only hesitating on the larger tire because of the height difference (0.5" so this is minor) vs. stock and potential range hit. You're very right there are far more (and cheaper tire options) in the 255 size. These won't "poke" out past the fenders correct?

Are both of these "issues" negligible? The roads in my area are TERRIBLE so i'd gladly welcome the extra cushion in sidewall even for a tradeoff in range as long as it's not awful. I'd also prefer not to mess with the suspension/lowering so if it can fill the wheel gap some that's a huge plus as well.

I've just purchased my 20x9" square wheel setup to replace my ubers (+35 offset as well) I've also been debating 245/35/20 or 255/35/20 - I was only hesitating on the larger tire because of the height difference (0.5" so this is minor) vs. stock and potential range hit. You're very right there are far more (and cheaper tire options) in the 255 size. These won't "poke" out past the fenders correct?

Are both of these "issues" negligible? The roads in my area are TERRIBLE so i'd gladly welcome the extra cushion in sidewall even for a tradeoff in range as long as it's not awful. I'd also prefer not to mess with the suspension/lowering so if it can fill the wheel gap some that's a huge plus as well.
See the picks I posted of my 20x9 +35 offset with 255/35/20 tires. My car is lowered on UP milds, so that does tuck the tire a bit but I think they will be fine and wont poke. Ive got some extra space on mine as is.
Someone on the forums had the same tires on the uber turbines with factory springs if you want to search around for more data

i really like 255/35 as I had that on my bmw stock and had no issues with them vs the roads. 245/35 would have been the thinest tires I ever had. Didnt want that.

I am wondering what the best 19" summer tires would be for my Model 3? I am also curious what the foam stuff is inside the OEM tires and whether I need replacement tires that also have that foam stuff in them. Thanks in advance.
I have no recommendation on 19" summer tires, but I think that there are might be some recommendations earlier in this thread, or in some other tire threads. (This thread seems to be turning into more of speciality performance tire thread, so I do not know that you will necessarily get any update on regular 19" options from here in, aside from what you might read earlier on). Regarding the foam, everything that I have read in this and other threads indicates that it has minimal impact on noise, if any.

See the picks I posted of my 20x9 +35 offset with 255/35/20 tires. My car is lowered on UP milds, so that does tuck the tire a bit but I think they will be fine and wont poke. Ive got some extra space on mine as is.
Someone on the forums had the same tires on the uber turbines with factory springs if you want to search around for more data

i really like 255/35 as I had that on my bmw stock and had no issues with them vs the roads. 245/35 would have been the thinest tires I ever had. Didnt want that.

Thanks! Your setup does look great. I did find a few others running 255/35s on stock suspension and a 9" rim, I'll likely go that route.

Reactions: ElectricGhost
Finally got my tires mounted. 19x9.5 wrapped in Conti DWS06+ 255/40. So far no rubbing and I’m getting decent clearance from the suspension knuckle in the front. I’ve put white-out on the knuckle as a rubbing indicator and will report back here if I experience any. 10% range loss from going OEM 235’s to 255’s. New aftermarket wheels+tires weighed in ~44.6lbs vs ~48.2lbs from OEM. Handling and grip on turns significantly better. Steering wheel feels tremendously lighter. 0-60 improved from 3.81s to 3.67s. Definitely worth the hit in efficiency.

As promised here are some pics I took right after mounting. Car is lowered 368mm hub to fender.

8CA3CD5A-C3B4-4111-B848-FD1755B97B65.jpeg
6CBF3B56-0116-4F97-8743-3EEC7F4EF49F.jpeg
23B66F4C-66B8-40CB-B916-D4D668CF0A51.jpeg
817EECD7-A613-49DC-B039-F4805EC09D19.jpeg

Finally got my tires mounted. 19x9.5 wrapped in Conti DWS06+ 255/40. So far no rubbing and I’m getting decent clearance from the suspension knuckle in the front. I’ve put white-out on the knuckle as a rubbing indicator and will report back here if I experience any. 10% range loss from going OEM 235’s to 255’s. New aftermarket wheels+tires weighed in ~44.6lbs vs ~48.2lbs from OEM. Handling and grip on turns significantly better. Steering wheel feels tremendously lighter. 0-60 improved from 3.81s to 3.67s. Definitely worth the hit in efficiency.

As promised here are some pics I took right after mounting. Car is lowered 368mm hub to fender.

View attachment 677701View attachment 677702View attachment 677703View attachment 677704
Looks good. 10% range loss though - so like 30 miles? That’s definitely the upper limit of loss I’d want to see.

Looks good. 10% range loss though - so like 30 miles? That’s definitely the upper limit of loss I’d want to see.
My efficiency before the tires and aftermarket wheels was just around ~350wh/mi. With the new set up, i am looking at around 380-390wh/mi. Then again, brand new tires are known to be extra sticky which will ding the efficiency so I'll need some more time/data on the wheels + tires to really get a better quantitative number.

So if i do decide to swap my tires on my 20” uberturbines, can you explain pros/cons going 245/35 vs 255/35? Is it basically better range with 245 and better rim protection with 255?
Speaking purely on Michelin 4S the 255s are 1 pound heavier. I think the range will be very similar. Yes definitely more tire protection and a little more tread footprint on the ground. Michelin will be releasing the Michelin Pilot Sport EV this fall or sooner! Perfect for US!

So if i do decide to swap my tires on my 20” uberturbines, can you explain pros/cons going 245/35 vs 255/35? Is it basically better range with 245 and better rim protection with 255?
As far as I can tell it comes down to overall height of the tire for the con. The 265/30 as it is the same overall height as a 235/35. I would go 265 over a 255 as you are going to take the range hit either way. I had originally thought 255 myself. For me personally, I have a plug in one of my factory P-Zeros right now(ill advised sidewall Bandaid). This limits me to local driving right now but I have other cars. I am going to put Michelin PS4S 245/35 on the factory Uberturbines soon. When I decide to upgrade the rims it will be 265/35 r19 or 265/30 r20... My 2 cents.

thanks. I’ll need to swap tires in the next four weeks as I’d like to sell the stock pirellis with as few miles as possible. So I’d have to get a tire available now. Just really confused on what pros and cons the 245 vs 255 brings.
It's simple. Do you value performance better or range/efficiency? the 255's I'm on has improved my handling drastically, i could only imagine how 265's are. After 500 more extra miles of driving, my efficiency numbers are more leveled now. I'm getting closer to 360wh/mi now so the range loss was quite minimal, granted i shaved ~4lbs per corner.