Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3 Performance is on order and due to deliver in about a week. I've ordered Martian Wheels 18x8.5. Now trying to make a decision on tires. I've scoured the threads for information but not finding answers to my specific questions. (why isn't there a dedicated tire/wheel sub forum?)

Anyway, at first I was only trying to decide between 235/45/18 and 245/45/18 sizes because I was intent on using Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires (I've run these before with great results.) In the process of reading input on the pros/cons of those two sizes, I ran across the thread that talked about noise and that the stock OEM tire (Primacy MXM4) has an acoustic foam insert. Then I found threads discussing serious range reduction with the PSAS4 tire.

Considering the range reduction issue (which hadn't occurred to me) I'm leaning towards the 235/45 size because extra width and weight going to the 245/45 will certainly lower range.

So, can I get some input from anyone running 235/45/18 Michelin PSAS4 tires that can give me some real world impact on range and noise? Thanks in advance.

I would say check the tire width on the PS4 All seasons. That 235 tire size might be in the 245 territory.

I bought 235 Michelin A/S 3+ last year. When I was looking at the tire specs, the 235s were the same width as other tire brands 245. My wh/mi is ~280 vs 250 on stock mxm4. My tires also buldge on the stock rims, which gives protection from curbs.

Personally I wouldn’t go any less sidewall height and load bearing than OEM. Years ago on another vehicle I went 225/40 to replace an OEM 235/40 and regretted it quickly. A huge rut claimed me and several others that day. The extra sidewall may not have been enough to save the tire but it might have saved the rim.

So just installed 20x9 square setup with 245/35/20 Falken Azenis FK510. Have to say the ride is as quiet generally as the stock 18 aero setup. Only on certain roads that are rough is it louder. On some roads like smooth, they are quieter than stock. Handling a little better. But coilovers hopefully will solve most of the floaty poor stock setup.
How is your range before and after? Which 20x9 did you install?

Hi all,

I'm switching the 20" rims on the Performance for some aftermarket 18's, to get a bit more resilience and efficiency on road trips.

Now looking for suggestions as to what rubber to run in 235/45r18 size.

The Michelin PS4 is available, but the 4S is not sold in this size in Australia. So the PS4 (non S) is what I'm thinking. But always good to tap the wisdom of the forum, and see if there's anything else I should look at?

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (non-S) is a better tire if you're looking for efficiency as it has a lower rolling resistance than both the PS4S and the Pirelli P-Zero that come with the performance now.

You will still retain MOST of the driving feel and stopping distance. No clue about noise or wear though.

I'm personally going with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 on forged 19s on mine

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (non-S) is a better tire if you're looking for efficiency as it has a lower rolling resistance than both the PS4S and the Pirelli P-Zero that come with the performance now.

You will still retain MOST of the driving feel and stopping distance. No clue about noise or wear though.
Thanks.

Sounds like the PS4 is the best option for 18's on the P, at least here in Australia where a summer tyre is used year round.

A good mix of efficiency and performance is what I was looking for, as well as availability of emergency replacements on a road trip. Not so concerned about noise or wear.

Any advantage of the "TO" Tesla specific variant? I was thinking of going with the regular non tesla option, due to better availability and price. And the fact that a plug kit should be more successful without the acoustic foam liner.

Hello, I recently replaced my rear tires on my M3P. Fronts have plenty of life left. I went with Nitto NT555 G2. Now at 60+Mph car turns in sharp and almost unstable. Feels like more body roll but also needs more correction. When it’s on AP it’s almost uncomfortable, AP has to make small corrections left and right on the straight.
I went to America’s Tire. They just replaced the tires. Has anyone expected something similar. Could it be alignment? I doubt it. I replaced just rear tires on all my previous cars BMWM3, SL65 and never had this issue.

I'm looking to get new tires and would like to get Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady 18" tires, but they are not rated XL.

1) Is anyone using Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady or MaxLife 18" tires and are they working?

2) How much of a concern is it that they are not rated XL? (Load index 670kg instead of 710kg per tire.)

3) Would I be putting myself in a vulnerable legal position if something goes wrong with the tires since XL tires are recommended?

Continental has some blah blah that they put special foam in the inner walls of their EV tires and orientation of tread to increase battery range, noise handling, etc. I think it is pure marketing blah.

But, I went to a Tesla showroom and showed them this Goodyear Assurance Max life tire. They said it is fine.

Did you put these tires on your model 3?

Thanks

Hello, I recently replaced my rear tires on my M3P. Fronts have plenty of life left. I went with Nitto NT555 G2. Now at 60+Mph car turns in sharp and almost unstable. Feels like more body roll but also needs more correction. When it’s on AP it’s almost uncomfortable, AP has to make small corrections left and right on the straight.
I went to America’s Tire. They just replaced the tires. Has anyone expected something similar. Could it be alignment? I doubt it. I replaced just rear tires on all my previous cars BMWM3, SL65 and never had this issue.
I had a blow out after hitting a huge pothole in AZ last week. I had to replace the two tires with some cheap Acceleras as I was in a remote area and they were my only option. Same size as originals but the difference in handling is unnerving. They were placed on the rear of the car but it behaves exactly as you describe. I'm currently shopping for new tires for all four...

I had a blow out after hitting a huge pothole in AZ last week. I had to replace the two tires with some cheap Acceleras as I was in a remote area and they were my only option. Same size as originals but the difference in handling is unnerving. They were placed on the rear of the car but it behaves exactly as you describe. I'm currently shopping for new tires for all four...
Yes very strange behavior. It also feels like TC is pulling power more often. I decided to keep them on the car. Honestly I still don’t know if it’s the softer sidewall? Or grip. But I am a bit more use to it now. M3P goes through rears twice as fast. So in a couple years I’ll change all 4.

I drive a 2018 long-range RWD Model 3. Last week I had Mobile Service come out to do a tire rotation and possible patch of my rear passenger's side tire due to a nail that was causing a very slow leak (losing maybe 2 PSI per month). They determined that the tire was not patchable due to the wear on the tire, which was almost to the wear bars. I don't have the tread depth numbers, but the linked photo of the rear driver's side tire has similar wear.
I will have to replace the rear passenger's side tire, but am wondering if I should replace both rear tires together. This is a bit hard to swallow given that I'm only at 12k miles, and I don't think I drive that aggressively, but it seems that it's generally recommended to replace both tires on the same axle together.
As for the replacements themselves, what do people recommend? My car came with Michelin Primacy MXM4 235/45R18 tires and Tesla Service will charge $285 per tire, which is cheaper than what TireRack has them listed for, at $290.80 (here), though TireRack does have other versions of the MXM4 as low as $249.57 (here). I see the more expensive ones mention "T1 Tesla, Acoustic Tech", but I'm not quite sure what the actual difference is.
To summarize, these are the questions I have:
  1. Should I replace both rear tires given the tread wear in the photos?
  2. Should I stick with the original Michelin MXM4 tires, or are there other good (cheaper) alternatives?
  3. Do I have any warranty options with Michelin given the wear after only 12k miles?
  4. General recommendations on best course of action given the situation?
Photos:

I took delivery in March of 2021 of an M3P and have been running the OEM 20” Performance Tires. I’m one of the weird people that actually really like them. However living in Chicago they aren’t going to fly for winter. I’m not interested in swapping sets every season so I’m probably just going to ditch the performance tires.

With that said can anyone recommend a really good 20” all-season tires for the M3P that I don’t have to mess with spacers? I also like the stretched tire look of the stock tires. Will that look be sacrificed upon switching?
TIA!

Nayston

I have semi-slicks 265/35/20 and thinking if I can use them with my stock uberturbines rims.

Would it make any rubbing on the fender or knuckle?

I do understand that it's better to use 19", but I already have that set of tires and it's tricky to find another set in a place, where I live.

I'm about to order another set of wheels with custom design and specs. What I need to change to fit these tires in a best way?

Thanks

265/35/20 doesn’t fit, I tried. You’ll need some more negative camber with aftermarket FUCA- I recommend the unplugged performance ones. 265/30 does.
5D678EBC-9E45-492A-A260-FEB8FF42860D.jpeg