Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for the answer!

Would it make any difference, if I exchange them to 255/35/20? Currently car is on the CUP2R 245/35/20, but after 20 laps on the relatively small 44 sec track LF tire almost destroyed :(

IMG_4703.jpeg

I took delivery in March of 2021 of an M3P and have been running the OEM 20” Performance Tires. I’m one of the weird people that actually really like them. However living in Chicago they aren’t going to fly for winter. I’m not interested in swapping sets every season so I’m probably just going to ditch the performance tires.

With that said can anyone recommend a really good 20” all-season tires for the M3P that I don’t have to mess with spacers? I also like the stretched tire look of the stock tires. Will that look be sacrificed upon switching?
TIA!

Nayston
I have the same question. Looking at the Vredestein Quatrac Pro in 245 (don’t like the stretched tire look) but not sure if the tire is any good for handling. Other option is Michelin Pilot AS 4 but not sure those are good enough in the snow. I live in Boston…

I had Michelin pilot sport 4s tires and one picked up a nail so I ordered 4x of these due to the crazy low price and them being the same 235/35zr20 size:

But I see they are 88y vs the Michelin's 92y. Is this going to be an issue? The tirerack site shows them as being compatible on a Model 3 but I'd feel better if anyone that knew anything about tires could confirm!
I'll answer my own question - no you can't go 88y. The tirerack site specifically said it did NOT confirm this would work with our car, I was just tired/stupid. Oops. Back they go.

Followup question:

I have 4 Michelin PIlot Sport 4S tires on the referral wheels I got from Tesla:

One got a nail and it's unrepairable so I was trying to find a used one but it's like trying to find a unicorn, nobody's got one available anywhere. I am wondering if I could get TWO of the somewhat more sanely priced Michelin Pilot AS tires:

The nail is in the back so both new ones would be going in the back. Is this a decent option?

Followup question:

I have 4 Michelin PIlot Sport 4S tires on the referral wheels I got from Tesla:

One got a nail and it's unrepairable so I was trying to find a used one but it's like trying to find a unicorn, nobody's got one available anywhere. I am wondering if I could get TWO of the somewhat more sanely priced Michelin Pilot AS tires:

The nail is in the back so both new ones would be going in the back. Is this a decent option?
I think it would be cheaper to buy one new ps4s and have it shaved to match the one on the other side of the car..plus your tires would match.

I think it would be cheaper to buy one new ps4s and have it shaved to match the one on the other side of the car..plus your tires would match.
That's exactly what the rep said I should do - my mind is blown that this is even a thing! Now if only my tire was in stock.................

Sales rep said I need to be within 2/32nds on a Tesla. Does anyone know if this is documented anywhere?

• Helpful
Reactions: P-Lo801
That's exactly what the rep said I should do - my mind is blown that this is even a thing! Now if only my tire was in stock.................

Sales rep said I need to be within 2/32nds on a Tesla. Does anyone know if this is documented anywhere?
I haven’t dug through the documentation where I might see it, but it makes sense to have the tires on opposite ends of a diff/axle be the same or close to the same height.

Odd that TR shows the tire out of stock for you; must be one of those “east/west of the Mississippi” things, as I see plenty of them in stock when looking from California.

I currenly have 18" Pilot Sport 4s on my Model 3 Performance but I'm keen to swap them to the 18" Primacy 4 for less roadnoise, comfortabler ride, wet braking distance and that they last much longer. The pilot sports 4 only last like 25k kms until they are down to 3mm...

Are there problems with traction on the performance 3 with the Primacy 4s or will I be ok?

Another option I am thinking about are the e.primacys?

Last edited:
...braking distance, wet or dry, should be worse on the MXM4 than the Pilot Sports which are about the best tires you can buy.

MXM4 wet stopping distance 110.30 feet (92.50 dry)

PS4s wet stopping distance 108.8 feet (80.20 dry)

So slightly worse with MXM4 in wet, significantly worse in dry.

One was in a 3 series BMW, one a 4 series, but I'd expect similar results on the same vehicle.

THAT said- if you mean traction from a launch perspective- the M3P- came with the MXM4s from the factory and put down the same measured 0-60 and 1/4 mile times as PS4s cars did- the vehicle does not appear to be traction limited by tire in either case for acceleration.

Anyway you could try the Pilot Sport A/S 4, which gives up a lot less performance-wise than the MXM4s do, but have significantly higher treadwear rating and a longer warranty.

wow i was not aware of this service. I recently got a flat due to a nail/screw, and the tire had about 7/32 tread left. So, my understanding was I had to buy two new tires to keep them within 2/32nds of the same tread.

To clarify, with this service from TR, I can just buy one brand new and have them shave it down to 9/32 and I would be good correct?

...braking distance, wet or dry, should be worse on the MXM4 than the Pilot Sports which are about the best tires you can buy.

One was in a 3 series BMW, one a 4 series, but I'd expect similar results on the same vehicle.

THAT said- if you mean traction from a launch perspective- the M3P- came with the MXM4s from the factory and put down the same measured 0-60 and 1/4 mile times as PS4s cars did- the vehicle does not appear to be traction limited by tire in either case for acceleration.

Anyway you could try the Pilot Sport A/S 4, which gives up a lot less performance-wise than the MXM4s do, but have significantly higher treadwear rating and a longer warranty.

oh shocker I had no idea. what are the dry braking distances for primacies vs pilot sports? I am very keen on having good braking. There are all kind of nasties on the roads here i.e. Kangaroos and idiot drivers. Weird that the P3- came with MXM4s in the USA. In Australia it came with pilot sports.

That said, while the new braking distance may be worse I heard Michelin say that with tire wear there isnt much change for the Primacies? So with a bit of wear they may brake better?

All Seasons are not an option where I live imho. It is too warm here (lowest is 18C at night in winter) which I am sure significantly changes the characteristics of an all season tire... I once drove winter tires in a late warm April when it was 20C outside because I was a bit late getting them changed back to summer tires back in Europe. Never again.

Last edited:
oh shocker I had no idea. what are the dry braking distances for primacies vs pilot sports? I am very keen on having good braking. There are all kind of nasties on the roads here i.e. Kangaroos and idiot drivers. Weird that the P3- came with MXM4s in the USA. In Australia it came with pilot sports.

That said, while the new braking distance may be worse I heard Michelin say that with tire wear there isnt much change for the Primacies? So with a bit of wear they may brake better?

All Seasons are not an option where I live imho. It is too warm here (lowest is 18C at night in winter) which I am sure significantly changes the characteristics of an all season tire... I once drove winter tires in a late warm April when it was 20C outside because I was a bit late getting them changed back to summer tires back in Europe. Never again.

Winter tires are a very different thing than all-seasons (in the US anyway)

Winters you definitely want to take off when it gets warm...

All-seasons mean you can drive em literally in all seasons... they won't be very GOOD in snow, and pretty crap in any serious snow- but they won't kill you like summer tires in snow will... and they're just fine in hot weather.

It's routinely in the low 30s C much of the summer here and the Pilot Sport All Season 4s do lot better than the MXM4s they replaced.

Speaking of- the MXM4s are also all seasons. (again unless there's some non-US version I'm unaware of that isn't)

Michelin said:
all-season safety

I mentioned the dry braking in my previous post, it was 80.20 feet for the summer PS4s tires and 92.50 feet for the MXM4 tires.

Winter tires are a very different thing than all-seasons (in the US anyway)

Winters you definitely want to take off when it gets warm...

All-seasons mean you can drive em literally in all seasons... they won't be very GOOD in snow, and pretty crap in any serious snow- but they won't kill you like summer tires in snow will... and they're just fine in hot weather.

It's routinely in the low 30s C much of the summer here and the Pilot Sport All Season 4s do lot better than the MXM4s they replaced.

Speaking of- the MXM4s are also all seasons. (again unless there's some non-US version I'm unaware of that isn't)

I mentioned the dry braking in my previous post, it was 80.20 feet for the summer PS4s tires and 92.50 feet for the MXM4 tires.

europe has very high standards for all season tires - the primacy MXM4s are definetely only summer tires over there.

I am in New England (severe snow, cold, rain, and hot summers). I want to use one set of tires on a 2021 Model 3 Performance with Uberturbine wheels all year. Needs to be Very Good in snow and be able to handle well and keep traction for hard acceleration. I looked at the conti DWS, Michelin pilot sport 4 A/S and Vredestein Quatrac Pro.

Convince me otherwise (or validate my thoughts) that the Vredestein is the best option for a combination of snow and summer performance…

Any idea if the "Pilot Sport 4S" and the "Pilot Sport 4S T0 Tesla, Acoustic Tech" are interchangeable? My understanding is that the latter just has the foam insert. I found the former on eBay and am wondering if I can throw it on to replace my damaged "acoustic" PS4S tire.

The T0 version has the same height but slightly wider tread than the “generic” version, at least according to TR.
How do I know for sure I have "T0" versions on my car? Looking at my email from Tesla I see:

TIRE,235/35R20 92Y,MICHELIN SUMMER-SRVC

Looking at the tire itself I see no indication it's a 'T0' ...?

On closer inspection I see a T0. Duh!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gimmethecash
Hi,

Does anyone have any input on this post? My car is arriving in a week and it's time to order tires. Thank you!