Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first time wheel shopping, want to buy some aftermarket wheels (Concaver CVR4)

I'm looking at a Square setup, 20x9 ET35 front, 20"x9"ET30 rears.

I know standard is 8.5 width. Will I notice a dramatic decrease in any comfort/handling going for the 9inch wides over 8.5?
Do you recommend sticking with 8.5 instead?

ALSO, tires will be Falken FK510 245/35/R20

Advice would be appreciated,
Thanks!

Wheels will make a negligible difference if comparing the same design 8.5 to 9.0. The tires are what will affect range. Do you plan on going bigger than 245's in the future? 8.5 would be perfect for those, I'd go with 9 if you plan on doing 255's or bigger.

Has anyone got
Wheels will make a negligible difference if comparing the same design 8.5 to 9.0. The tires are what will affect range. Do you plan on going bigger than 245's in the future? 8.5 would be perfect for those, I'd go with 9 if you plan on doing 255's or bigger.

I planned to just stick with 245/35 on the 9's...

Do you recommend 255/35 instead?

Has anyone got

I planned to just stick with 245/35 on the 9's...

Do you recommend 255/35 instead?

I'm not a huge tire guy, so take my info with a grain of salt...but, the PS4S Tesla spec 235/35/20 has has much tread width as some 255 series tires, and definitely more tread width than most 245 series tires. So why not just go with that?

That's what I run on my 20"s, and the standard PS4S 235/45/18 on my 18"s, and I may switch it up and put continental extreme sport 245/40/19 on my 19"s when they arrive instead of PS4S. Not sure yet.

Was there a test that had those two side by side?? My impression was that the CrossClimates would be better in things like snow but that under more conventional/performance scenarios (i.e when it's dry, even when it's cold) the AS4s would do better
I don't think there is a test side by side as one is an all season tire and the other, while an all season tire, is considered an ultra high performance tire. So different categories of tires.

Tyrereviews.com

Side note:

I wanted to report somewhere that switching from Tesla Pirelli P Zero PZ4s with the acoustic foam to "normal" PZ4s sans foam did result in extra noise, but it was more like a musical hum that's faint - it's not loud, doesn't bother me and you quickly get used to it. You might even like it (more of the whole spaceship type sound) I've driven long distances with out the new noise being an issue (especially when compared to the wind noise/other noises that come through to the cabin at highway speeds).

I think the musical hum makes sense since the tire is a box of air - much like string instruments which are a wooden box where air resonates while you play the strings.

I want set on ordering a pilot sport 235/35/20 tire for my 2021 performance model 3

I can’t get that tire so I wanted 245/35/20 which is also not available.

Talked to Discount tire last week who said a 255/35/20 would fit. I called back today to order and now talked to the manager. He says that 255/35 would not fit and I would actually need 255/30.

I haven’t seen that size on any forum but it is adamant that he’s right.

Good morning! I recently bought a M3LR (so excited to be part of the community) with 40R19s. I am strongly considering switching to 18s to have better odds with potholes (I drive a lot of backroads) and slightly improve energy efficiency. Have any of you made the switch and is it worth it?

Thanks!

My bet is that you won't, but, you may have clearance issues with the 255/35. A lot depends on the brand/model of tire. There are variances between manufacturers and within a manufacturers own line. The 255/30 is a safer bet in that regard.
In going with a 255/30, you'll lose about .2" of sidewall. It doesn't sound like much but it can make the difference between a blow out/bent wheel, and not when encountering a road hazard.
I'd suggest sticking with the 235/35 or preferably 245/35 and choosing a different manufacturer or model.

255/35 will fit. There was a thread somewhere where someone posted a pic and said it fit fine. I planning to go that route once I need tires. I don’t like the super stretched look on my 2021 MP3 plus I took a chip out of one of my wheels within the first 12 miles driving home from the dealer. I didn’t notice hitting a pothole or anything but I was flooring it a lot and must have hit a small hole or bump.

The stock diameter of the Pirellis is 26.5”. Most of the 255/35’s are 27” diameter which is fine from what I read. So check the diameter spec of whatever tire you want. Over 27” and it might rub the front upper control arm, steering knuckle or w/e it’s called. 255/35 will give a little more protection to the wheel and effectively reduce your wheel well gap by 1/2”. Get 245/35 of you want it closer to stock diameter. 245/35 is about 26.8”. 255/30 will give you even less sidewall protection with a diameter about 26.2.

In 9 days, I'm trading in my 2019 M3LR for a 2022 M3P vin#5YJ3E1EC3NF111111 (modified the last 5 digits!)

Does any one think there is a chance the brake calipers are slightly smaller and that my current 18" set of wheel/tires fit
* 235/45R18 Pirelli WNTR Sottozero Serie 3(1450778-00-A) 4.0
* SVC WHEEL, 18X8.5J ET40, AERO(1234221-00-C) 4.0

If not are there any other options to get a set of 18" winter/wheels with Michelin X-Ice than TS sportline (Cali) to New Jersey? Tire rack has only 19" and didn't the TPMS change as well.

Thanks in advance

Yes. The 18" wheels are already pretty big. I personally would not want to invite problems with the still larger sizes. Also, although I know that my view is contrary to the current fashion, I hate the 'look' of oversize wheels with thin sidewalls on the tires - it looks silly and impractical to me.

The time has finally come for me to replace my original tires after around 40k miles. I went to America's Tire and they told me that I had about 2/32" left on the tires. They said Michelin will prorate a portion of it since it didn't get to 45k. I'm thinking about replacing the original tires with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 since Costco has it and they're about to have their promotion for ~$150 off and I can have America's Tire price match it. From what I'm seeing at TireRack, the Pilot Sport A/S 4 are way better than the original tires. I'm in Northern California and don't plan on having to drive through snow, but I feel like it'll be good to have better performance in the rain since we get that more often.

My question, for those who have replaced their original tires, is: how much of an efficiency hit will I get replacing my tires?

I've scoured the internet and the Tesla-related forums and there's reviews of it but only after <5k mileage. I also asked TireRack and they don't really have that information.

The time has finally come for me to replace my original tires after around 40k miles. I went to America's Tire and they told me that I had about 2/32" left on the tires. They said Michelin will prorate a portion of it since it didn't get to 45k. I'm thinking about replacing the original tires with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 since Costco has it and they're about to have their promotion for ~$150 off and I can have America's Tire price match it. From what I'm seeing at TireRack, the Pilot Sport A/S 4 are way better than the original tires. I'm in Northern California and don't plan on having to drive through snow, but I feel like it'll be good to have better performance in the rain since we get that more often.

My question, for those who have replaced their original tires, is: how much of an efficiency hit will I get replacing my tires?

I've scoured the internet and the Tesla-related forums and there's reviews of it but only after <5k mileage. I also asked TireRack and they don't really have that information.
I was in your situation but with a 2018 AWD P- (18” wheels). After my OE MXMs wore sufficiently, purchased the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. After initial 1000 miles on the PSAS4s, range decrease over the MXMs was 5%. I do keep the PSAS4s at 42-44 psi. Major improvement in handling and braking; night versus day better compared to the MXMs in wet conditions. Decent in light snow last winter. They’re still quieter than my worn MXMs. The wear has been very even but quick over their first 10,000 mi. Perhaps I’ll get about 25,000 miles before replacement? The PSAS4s do have a better mileage warranty than the MXMs too. The MXMs were good at nothing, other than range, in my opinion. They were annoyingly noisy and could not be driven even moderately hard and track with any confidence which seemed antithetical to a performance car. I was hoping for those MXMs to wear to 3/32 as quickly as possible so that I could ditch them and collect the mileage warranty credit, which Michelin honored. As you can probably tell, I’m much happier with the PSAS4s.

Just spoke to someone at the Tesla Service center and he said the 98 load rating requirement at some of the chain tire places was nonsense...He went into some explanation that I didn't really understand in regards to weight and speed...But the short of it is the 94 load rating I bought is more than sufficient for the car...I actually just called the guy back at Discount Tire and he said what they do is simply put the minimum load rating as what is on the car at the time of purchase, which is 98. FYI the 94 load rating in my LR RWD comes in at 2100 pounds over curb weight...Pretty safe

Just spoke to someone at the Tesla Service center and he said the 98 load rating requirement at some of the chain tire places was nonsense...He went into some explanation that I didn't really understand in regards to weight and speed...But the short of it is the 94 load rating I bought is more than sufficient for the car...I actually just called the guy back at Discount Tire and he said what they do is simply put the minimum load rating as what is on the car at the time of purchase, which is 98. FYI the 94 load rating in my LR RWD comes in at 2100 pounds over curb weight...Pretty safe
Just don’t expect Discount/America’s Tire to fix your flats or install your tires; 2 different locations denied me flat repair service on the same day on a previous car because the load rating on my tires was lower than stock (yet still higher than necessary).