Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but do you mean a I would need new camber arms?? Would I better off going 8.5 front 9.5 rear?
Thanks
Jon
Yes, to get enough camber and also to be able to adjust it, you’d need adjustable camber arms, as the stock ones (like most of the stock suspension components) are non-adjustable.

Are you set on different sizes front/rear? The car’s handling will be more balanced with the same size all around, plus that would allow you to rotate them. 20x9.5 ET24 is going to be a bit aggressive on a non-Performance, especially on the front.

Here’s my car with 255/35/20 on 20x9.5 ET35 fronts and slightly lower ET on the rear - mine’s a Performance model but I also have aftermarket rotors, so equivalent to ET35 or so on a non-Performance - those 20x9.5 CH-R’s will stick out another 11mm or so on yours.

Attachments

• 82ECDEA5-E8D0-41D7-B520-B1F2FDFB27B5.jpeg
    82ECDEA5-E8D0-41D7-B520-B1F2FDFB27B5.jpeg
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 262
  • Informative
Reactions: pdx_m3s
ok - been looking into this further, think 10.5” rear is probably excessive, so considering 8.5 and 9.5 sizes…

option 1
8.5” square (ET38) with same size as stock 235/35 tyres (probably need spacers here for desired look)

option 2
8.5 front (et38) 9.5 rear (et40) - if so, what size rear tyre?

option 3
9.5 square (et40) - what size tyres?

I like the way the 9.5” wheel is 13mm more outwards (no need for spacers for more flush fit) but would the necessarily wider tyre for the 9.5” rim (eg 275) on the front be bad/affect handling/rub etc?

Thanks,
Jon

I am picking up my model 3 soon I have 2 sets of wheels and tires from my mustang that share the same bolt pattern. I have a set of 19x10 ET 40 with 285/35r19s then I have a set of 305305/30r19 et 52. Would either of these fit the new car? I have seen a local guy with RTR wheels from a mustang.

No personal experience but I don’t see any way a 19 x 11 fits.

The 19x10 probably will fit if you use spacers. You’ll also need some hub centric rings because I believe the bore size for mustangs is larger than the 64.1 on the 3. The problem though is a 285/35/19 tire is very close to 27” in diameter. They may be too tall but it would be close. There may be people who have tried it, though, who can say for sure.

Hey guys,

Found a nail near the sidewall of my rear passenger tire. I have the Pirelli P-zeros on there right now and was hoping to get the Michelin PS4S after the Pirellis wore out. I have just under 15k miles on the car.

In my previous AWD vehicles (Subaru STI), if you had to replace 1 tire they recommended replacing 4 of them so that the tire treads were even and it didn't effect the AWD system. Is that necessary for a M3P?

Would there be any huge issues putting 1 (or 2) Michellin PS4S' in the rear (fronts need to be rotated to the back actually) and having Pirellis in the fronts or the MIchelin's in the rear or vice versa.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thinking of getting the Michelin PILOT SPORT 4S - SIZE: 235/40ZR19 for my 2021 Model 3 LR.

Anyone here have these? They better vs the stock 19" tires on the LR?

Get them. Best tires I've ever had. They look sexy and make the car drive amazing. Grip is insane

W1pcEM3.jpg

vs. old Continentals

3Z4atXo.jpg

That is an excellent tire for grip, not excellent for range, or long life.

Barely notice loss of range. Maybe ~10 miles less.

Keep in mind that I only have an SR+. If range loss is not an issue for me then it definitely will not be an issue on a long range!

Hey guys,

Found a nail near the sidewall of my rear passenger tire. I have the Pirelli P-zeros on there right now and was hoping to get the Michelin PS4S after the Pirellis wore out. I have just under 15k miles on the car.

In my previous AWD vehicles (Subaru STI), if you had to replace 1 tire they recommended replacing 4 of them so that the tire treads were even and it didn't effect the AWD system. Is that necessary for a M3P?

Would there be any huge issues putting 1 (or 2) Michellin PS4S' in the rear (fronts need to be rotated to the back actually) and having Pirellis in the fronts or the MIchelin's in the rear or vice versa.

Thanks.
New tires should always go on the rear; you don’t want more grip in the front than rear. If you have significant wear on the existing tires and need to replace just one, it’s a good idea to have it shaved to match the tread depth of the tire on the other side of the same axle. Tire rack will do it as a service, I’m sure there are others.

New tires should always go on the rear; you don’t want more grip in the front than rear. If you have significant wear on the existing tires and need to replace just one, it’s a good idea to have it shaved to match the tread depth of the tire on the other side of the same axle. Tire rack will do it as a service, I’m sure there are others.
Thanks for the reply.

I did some more reading and decided to get 2 new tires for sure. Then I checked my front tires and they were at 4/32 so I figured might as well just get all 4 tires replaced. The Michelin PS4S' also have a 30k mile warranty so if it only lasts 15k miles, I'll get it prorated which should average out the cost as well in the future. But dang that sticker shock to get 4 of them installed!! lol

Seeking recommendations on new tire set, I live in the desert so do not need any winter type. 2018 M3 with original 19" sport wheel factory tires, never had them replaced yet. Desire quiet & performance rating.

Is there a generally accepted brand/model in the M3 community?

Hi All!

I have a 2019 M3 OEM 19's with about 45,000 miles and live in SoCal. So driving is fast freeway, some bumper to bumper traffic, and hilly residential. Temp is fairly ideal for EV's.

Car came with the OEM 19" Continentals. I replaced them at 28,000 miles with an average w/hr of 278. Driving spirited but I'd say Tesla normal.

Replaced with Continental Pure Contact, not the Pro Contact which I think the car came with. I made that decision mainly for LRR and longevity in that the Pure Contact has a 700 rating and the Pro Contact has a 400 rating. The Pure Contact tires were a bit more quieter, and noticeable softer. The ride was a bit less harsh but lost a bit of the sportiness that the firmer sidewall in the Pro Contact had. Overall I thought the changes were solid and didn't feel the car was less fun to drive. The w/mi actually went up slightly to about 280. I think this is due to the tires being new and the previous average of 278 w/mi. was an average of the life of the tread of the previous tires. My experience is that when the tire has less tread, the tire is more efficient, but I could be wrong. That being said I don't think the Pure Contact tires will be any more efficient.

After about 12,000 miles I noticed that the Pure Contact tires were wearing about the same rate as the Pro Contact. That was a bit frustrating as they were supposed to last much longer. I should pause here and say that I rotate my own tires every 5,000 miles. Every other rotation I criss cross the tires as opposed to just front to back, to best rotate them for even wear.

At this point my car has lost about 5% range due to it's age and the tires are also hurting it's range in their inefficiency. I decided to make the move to EOM 18's. Picked up some 2021 take off's that were in new condition with EOM Michelins. I left the caps on them. PSI is at 45 which is what I ran the 19's at as well.

After 1000 miles the w/mi for the 18's is at 248. A 10.8% improvement! It's too early to tell about the tire swear on the 18's but I'm hoping for over 35,000.

I really like the feeling of the 18's. It's softer than the 19's but remains solid and sure footed. Perhaps it's because I'm tired of replacing tires before they are "supposed" to or it is because the car only gets "close" to it's claimed efficiency with the smallest wheel size in near perfect conditions, but I am extremely happy with my decision. I am neutral on the looks. Mainly because there are sooooo many M3's here and most are white like mine, so if I have 18's or 19's it still looks like everyone else's. lol!

If anyone is looking for OEM 19's with Continentals with 60% tread that are in excellent condition, happy to make a deal happen. Located in Orange County, CA.

I hope this helps!

John
Good information John!

I'm trying to decide what to replace my Conti Pro contact with and had narrowed down to Conti PureContact and Pirelli Cinturato 2. Now I'll have to rethink maybe. Decisions!!

After about 12,000 miles I noticed that the Pure Contact tires were wearing about the same rate as the Pro Contact. That was a bit frustrating as they were supposed to last much longer. I should pause here and say that I rotate my own tires every 5,000 miles. Every other rotation I criss cross the tires as opposed to just front to back, to best rotate them for even wear.

wow interesting. A 70K rated tire if it lasts only for 28k(assuming it lasts as long as the Pro Contact), it would really be disappointing.