TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Tires

Discussion in 'Canada' started by YusufT, Jul 3, 2018.

1. YusufT

YusufT Member

I’m already doing research on a good set of Winter tires for my Model 3 19” Wheels. Anybody have any recommendations? What tires will you buy for your next set of All Season/Summer tires? If I want staggered tires for the summer, how would I get it done?

• Like x 1
  2. Jctin

Jctin Member

Am shopping for winter tires also and leaning towards Dunlop Sp winter sport 4D.

3. YusufT

YusufT Member

What store are you getting it from? Why those tires?

4. Khoa64

Khoa64 Member

I'm also in the market for winter tires. My friend says https://www.tirerack.com is a good website to get tires. I believe Costco always has good prices.

5. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Any suggestions for 18s.

6. AbsP

AbsP Member

KalTire, AFAIK, is the only place you can get Nokian Tires, which by many metrics and reviews are considered top tier. They also carry the Pirelli SOTTOZERO II which are the same tires that Tesla sells on their site.

• Helpful x 2
  7. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

Are you planning on getting 19" winter tires and using them on your 19" sport wheels? I am asking because I have found that the wear and tear and cost of mounting and re-mounting can get high compared to getting a set of dedicated winter wheels and tires. Also, from what I have seen historically in Toronto (although I have not looked that extensively) selection and price for a 19" winter is far more limited / more expensive than dropping down to an 18 (for wheels and tires).

8. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Anyone know of cheap decent looking rims for winter?

9. Buggle

Buggle Member

Kaltire doesn't have the M3 as an option for tires. I asked them about it & they said they haven't yet gotten their hands on one to confirm dims etc.

10. YusufT

YusufT Member

Oh really? I heard the opposite. I wanted to just get tires and mount them on. I like the look of the sport wheels. Is it really cheaper to just buy tires and wheels and get the swapped with the current wheels instead ofnjust buying tires and remounting them?

11. YusufT

YusufT Member

This might be a stupid question but; I see on Tesla’s website the winter tires comes with tire pressure sensors Model 3 19” Sport Wheel and Winter Tire Package

If I were to just buy tires and get it mounted onto my current car it won’t have pressure sensors correct?

• Like x 1
  12. darkenergy

darkenergy Member

I've had good luck with pmctire.com in Quebec. They ship anywhere in Canada.

Been looking at the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 myself. I believe they can be installed on the stock 18" rims.

• Informative x 1
  13. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I would not get cheap rims for this car due to the weight and power.

• Like x 1
  14. Insilin

Insilin Member

I really don't want to lose more range in the winter. Plan on just purchasing another set of aero with winters from Tesla if I can't find anyone selling their aero wheels for cheap online.

Model 3 18” Aero Wheel and Winter Tire Package

• Like x 1
  15. Jctin

Jctin Member

Definitely 18" package are cheaper than the 19".
    Switching tires in Ontario, twice a year, looking at $80.00 each time. I will get rims and tires for winter.
    The Dunlop sp winter sport 4D runs flat

16. TOFLYIN

TOFLYIN Member

$2400 plus tax! What will you give me for my 18" Aeros with 1000 km on them?

17. YusufT

YusufT Member

I think you misunderstood me. I already have the 19” sport wheels. I want to get winter tires and I’m debating if I should just buy the tires and mount them on or buy entirely new wheels and tires just for winter.

18. Jctin

Jctin Member

I understood you fully. Personally i would not pay $160.00 yearly, to change winter and summer tires. Also 18" and above tires will go as high as $30.00 per tire to change.

I bought winters and wheels for my cars, and change them myself.

Cheers

• Like x 1
  19. CadillacJack

CadillacJack Member

I have Xices on my S and they've been great. Most don't like the Sottozeros that Tesla recommends, based on the read on the forums here.

I have separate wheels for the S (and will for the 3 eventually) - I change the tires for the rest of the people in my family, but I won't take the risk of jacking the S myself. WAAAY too much risk involved if I do something stupid like jack up on the battery or something. Tesla service can do that for me twice a year (per car), thank you. :)

20. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

I pay about $60 to have 4 wheels and tires taken off and a new set of 4 wheels and tires (winters) put on. I do that 2x a year. On another leased vehicle, I kept one set of rims, and just bought winter tires, and I was charged, I think about $240 to have the tires taken off the rims, winter tires mounted back on that same set of times.