Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 to be sedan AND crossover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep I am thinking maybe 5 cars off this chassis.

1. Sedan / Hatchback 4/5 door
2. CUV / Wagon 4/5 door
3. Coupe 2 door
4. Convertible 2 door 2+2 passenger
5. Roadster 2 door 2 passenger
I would definitely be surprised if 1, 2, and 3 did not make the line-up. Putting the next version of the Roadster (will it really be called "Roadster"?) on this platform makes a lot of sense, but I'm thinking that items 4 and 5 will be one or the other, but not both. That's essentially making two versions of the same thing, one with 2 seats, one with 4 seats. Seems like a waste of effort and resources.

I would definitely be surprised if 1, 2, and 3 did not make the line-up. Putting the next version of the Roadster (will it really be called "Roadster"?) on this platform makes a lot of sense, but I'm thinking that items 4 and 5 will be one or the other, but not both. That's essentially making two versions of the same thing, one with 2 seats, one with 4 seats. Seems like a waste of effort and resources.

I would actually like #4 to be a 4 door and #5 to be a 2 door but I think those chances are slim at best. You are probably right but I hope not. A Roadster is too small for me ... unless they make the Roadster a 2+2 instead of a true roadster.

It's just that so many four door convertibles have been executed poorly in the past fifty years or so. I know it can be done right aesthetically... It's just that the barriers to doing so today are rather formidable. There are solutions, but each adds considerable complexity to the design. Hence, why so many either only do coupes as convertibles (avoiding the issue altogether), or live with the least common denominator kludges that are conceived for four door convertibles.

A literal, cloth 'ragtop' is out of the question. They always look really, truly, very bad when applied to 'chopped' sedans. So it would have to be a hardtop convertible, and that means a whole lot of weight. Not so bad in a gas guzzler, pretty bad for an EV.

Rear 'suicide' doors are a must, because regular swinging doors just get in the way at the rear. But not the stupid half doors at the back. And hopefully something that doesn't require a front door be opened first.

The B-pillar has to go. But side impact crash regulations have forced some to use a sort of 'basket handle' rollover hoop -- which looks stupid. Maybe a half-height pillar, beside the front seats would do the trick. But even that would seem out of place.

So perhaps the only "news" part of this is:
1) Both sedan and crossover versions of gen 3 platform might be called Model 3 (instead of speculation crossover be called Model Y or something).
2) Both sedan and crossover released at roughly the same time.
Both of the above really depends on how the statement is worded.

But I agree with others that it has been long known and expected that a sedan and crossover will be built on gen 3 platform.

I think the only real news is how most people thought it was actually new and of course it wasn't. And I don't see the cross over being released for at least a year after the hatchback/sedan. Probably longer.

It's just that so many four door convertibles have been executed poorly in the past fifty years or so. I know it can be done right aesthetically... It's just that the barriers to doing so today are rather formidable. There are solutions, but each adds considerable complexity to the design. Hence, why so many either only do coupes as convertibles (avoiding the issue altogether), or live with the least common denominator kludges that are conceived for four door convertibles.

A literal, cloth 'ragtop' is out of the question. They always look really, truly, very bad when applied to 'chopped' sedans. So it would have to be a hardtop convertible, and that means a whole lot of weight. Not so bad in a gas guzzler, pretty bad for an EV.

Rear 'suicide' doors are a must, because regular swinging doors just get in the way at the rear. But not the stupid half doors at the back. And hopefully something that doesn't require a front door be opened first.

The B-pillar has to go. But side impact crash regulations have forced some to use a sort of 'basket handle' rollover hoop -- which looks stupid. Maybe a half-height pillar, beside the front seats would do the trick. But even that would seem out of place.

Don't get me wrong. I think you are probably correct but that could be a good gimmick. Only 4 door convertible on the market. And if not I will take the 2 door. That is what I have now.

I'm thinking very unlikely. No way a coupe would sell better than a crossover, and Tesla is likely to target the largest markets first.

Agreed but my thought was to best utilize the platform. I doubt that they would come out with a sedan and a CUV at the same time and a CUV would likely come off the sedan and a coupe is needed and the convertible would come off that. This gets two lines going at the same time producing 2 and 4 instead of 1, 2,3 and 4. Saving time to a larger market share in the end.

Agreed but my thought was to best utilize the platform. I doubt that they would come out with a sedan and a CUV at the same time and a CUV would likely come off the sedan and a coupe is needed and the convertible would come off that. This gets two lines going at the same time producing 2 and 4 instead of 1, 2,3 and 4. Saving time to a larger market share in the end.
I would expect that the sedan and CUV are launched with less than a year between them.

And sure, it would be nice if Tesla rapidly came out with four Model 3 versions, but I don't think that's very realistic.

I understand how the convertible could add cost and weight but how could the design of it add that ? The hardtop in my 3 series only adds a couple hundred pounds so no big deal and that is a hardtop.
Yes, but the roof adds to the structural integrity of the overall vehicle. Designing the body to be structurally sound without that top portion requires additional reinforcements not otherwise necessary. So you lose the weight of the roof, but you gain the weight in making the body structurally stronger. Give a little, get a little. But I'm inclined to agree that it's at least a partial redesign after the fact. I don't think they'd want the structural beefing up for a hard top car that doesn't need it.