TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model 3 to get OLED screen(s)?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by J1mbo, May 17, 2016.

1. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

From Korean Times via Teslarati:

1. Center display
    2. Rear-view mirror?
    3. HUD?

2. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Depends very much on cost, volume and reliability.

Assuming those are right I can easily see OLEDs turning up in the S, X and top version of the 3 and working their way into the cheaper variants over time.

3. PTADO

PTADO Member

Just going to jump in real quick and put the explanation in for those who didn't know the difference like myself, I'm sure I'm not alone.

"The main difference between an LED and an OLED is that the pixels of an OLED are self illuminating, whereas LED are used to light an LCD display."

• Informative x 1
  4. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

I presume OLED is more energy efficient than LED as well?

5. Alketi

Alketi Member

OLEDs historically haven't been as performant in bright sunlight. I would think display brightness would be one of the most important metrics when choosing a screen.

6. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Small OLEDs (as could be used in a HUD system) are cheap - most fitness bands have them, for example.

Larger ones are also pretty cheap: the 14" OLED screen in the 2016 Thinkpad X1 Yoga (Forbes) is almost the same size as the M3 center console.

Not having a backlight, they are generally thinner and more reliable than LCD screens, with better colour reproduction and "infinite" black levels.

EDIT: many smartphones and tablets use OLED now, and they work just as well outdoors as in - Samsung have been using it for years. Anyone with an S6 or S7 will know that they are bright enough :)

7. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

Yeah, OLEDs have plenty of brightness in the sun, more so than LED backlit LCD screens (iPhone)

Let's all remember we're talking about OLED vs LED backlit LCD not pure LED.

I highly doubt they'll go OLED simply due to cost, lifespan, and heat sensitivity (hot car in direct sun). Don't get me wrong OLED looks fantastic, but it won't really work long term in a car unless technology has greatly improved.

8. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

Because OLED does not need a backlight they can be made much thinner.

9. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

And why would that be an advantage in a car dashboard?

• Like x 1
  10. Pando

Pando Member

#10 Pando, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
    It's not the thickness that matters much (although less thickness = less weight, less room it takes up on the dash).

It's because on the LCD screen you would see the backlight glow in the dark even with an all-black screen image. It would be even more pronounced when looking at an angle (from the driver's viewpoint). During the reveal event, the backlight glow from the center-mounted screen was very distracting on the videos.

OLED screen would not glow like this. You would only see the pixels that are on. It would make a huge difference when driving at night.

[​IMG]

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  11. Trips

Trips Member

In theory with Transparent OLED screens they could be incorporated into the windshield.

This would eliminate the projection from a HUD. If your side and rear mirror monitors were in the windshield (no hanging monitor) it would give a clean look both inside and out while reducing drag. Some laws would need to change along with costs coming down a lot but that could be an option 4-5 years down the line.

• Like x 1
  12. Tanquen

Tanquen Member

OLED screens can burn in much quicker than LCD, cost more and are hard to see in the sun.

• Dislike x 1
  13. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

I'm not sure why people keep saying this when it's not true. Check out a Samsung Galaxy phone S6 or S7 in the sun...

• Like x 2
    • Dislike x 2
  14. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

This is important for being able to identify your opponents in Call of Duty/Battlefield when you're gaming during your commute :p

• Funny x 1
  15. diamond.g

diamond.g Member

Super bright images quicken the burn-in effect.

16. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

While I haven't had burn in personally, I've seen the store models burn in even when they aren't in the daylight brightness because the screen is on constantly.

The main contributor of burn in on OLEDs is heat. Superbright = more heat. Newer OLEDs are a little more tolerant.

Heat is present especially in a car on a hot day which is why I'm saying OLEDS aren't a good choice for cars. For phones with normal use burn in isn't a problem.

• Dislike x 1
  17. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

is it not a problem on a phone because cells are now a 2 year max life disposable item? With a car's expected lifespan significantly more than a cell phone (or tv/computer monitor for that matter), I personally don't think those items should be a gauge for long-term performance in a car.

• Like x 1
  18. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

Me either, exactly. So everyone in this thread seems to be in agreement that OLEDs are not going to happen on the Tesla Model 3.

19. diamond.g

diamond.g Member

While it would be neat the static content on a car display and the brightness requirement during daylight isn't conducive towards using a tech like OLED at this time. It sure would be pretty though.

• Like x 1
  20. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Bit of a leap there.

LG are confident they have solved the traditional OLED problems of image retention, screen burn and colour decay.

It may surprise you that LCD screens can also suffer from image retention, or image persistence. Digital signage suffers from this more than you would expect, but there are ways to reduce the impact.

Anyone seen anything like that on their MS screens?