Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 to Model S…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering selling my 2018 Model 3 LR and leasing a 2023 Model S (not plaid). I’ve searched threads prior to this and like a madman back in early 2018 but it’s been a while since I’ve been engaged in this community… amazing experience as an owner — zero service needs outside 12V battery replacement.

Is there anything I need to know about new the Model S before purchasing a leased car? Is leasing a good idea if I don’t want to be locked into the car beyond 3 years? Im hoping they redesign the Model S by the time my lease is up. I’m drawn to a larger car, bigger battery, better interior, and sportier look. No 7 seat option anymore? Will the lease get me 3yrs free supercharging?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Whether you lease or buy, there are many differences between your 3 and a 2021+ S, so you should definitely test drive the S before doing anything. Most significantly, there are no stalks, everything is done with buttons on the wheel (now available in both round and yoke forms), which a lot of people don't like. The newest S has HW4 and no ultrasonic sensors, so features like Park Assist, Autopark, and Summon are currently disabled. Tesla doesn't offer a 7-seat option in the S (and hasn't for many years). There's a current 3-year free supercharging offer if you order and take delivery by June 30, but I don't know if it applies to leased cars (the details don't specify either way).

I leased my first Model S (2016) and it was a good deal for me at the time, but I've purchased my Teslas since then.

Reactions: smilepak
Well shoot. May be a dealbreaker for me until I can test drive an S. Seems strange to look to upgrade and LOSE functionality. Tesla, get it together. From the videos I’ve seen, Tesla Vision isn’t exactly a viable replacement yet. Bummer.

Reactions: ks1972
Well shoot. May be a dealbreaker for me until I can test drive an S. Seems strange to look to upgrade and LOSE functionality. Tesla, get it together. From the videos I’ve seen, Tesla Vision isn’t exactly a viable replacement yet. Bummer.
Why don’t you buy a 2021 refresh or 2022 you can pick up at $70k or pretty close to it

I have 2021+ refresh absolutely love it with USS summons with full FSD

Paid $71k you just have to look around I know people are selling

IMHO

Thanks guys. I slept on it and the lack of park assist isn’t the WORST thing ever, just seems absent-minded for Tesla to remove USS without replacement ready.

Still considering a lease.
I remember when Tesla changed autopilot to visionary, not all if any AP features were implemented. Now the capability has surpassed the previous generation. I would think USS being replaced with vision only will take some time as well.

The Model S is a great upgrade. I made an extensive comparison guide that may help if you're still deciding: Vehicle Comparison Selector – TeslaTap
Great web page. I'm going to do more comparing. I like how you broke down the different veriants.

Reactions: kemble54
My wife had a Model 3 for a while and I'm on my third S. The biggest difference was in roominess for driver and passenger. After that, the acceleration. They are different products for different market segments. I've leased two S's and now own the third. I made a killing by purchasing and selling my second S after the lease was up. At the time, there was a severe shortage of cars due to electronic part shortages. I got lucky. I purchased the car this time (Plaid) because I wanted to upgrade the brakes (not Tesla's upgrade) and the wheels to something a little sportier. Everyone has an opinion obviously but I find the car comfortable and easy to drive. The lack of levers for turns, lights and wipers was a non issue. It took a couple of days to adjust. YMMV.

Cincy

Reactions: kemble54