Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 to start at 60kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An electric motor is most efficient at high load for starters. The major trade off people make with gear ratio is speed vs acceleration. If you don't need to have great acceleration it makes more sense to use a smaller motor to keep the load high instead of changing the gear ratio. This also saves on costs which is what they did with the Bolt.
Maybe maybe not, either way none of that disputes the fact that chevy went for efficiency over acceleration per several interviews with their engineers. I just mentioned several ways they could go about it considering cd wasn't better than the model 3 and their inverters and battery packs likely aren't either.

Maybe maybe not, either way none of that disputes the fact that chevy went for efficiency over acceleration per several interviews with their engineers. I just mentioned several ways they could go about it considering cd wasn't better than the model 3 and their inverters and battery packs likely aren't either.
There's no maybe about it, it's very different from an ICE. If the GM engineers went with a different gearing ratio they'd simply get a higher top speed. Since the top speed is already 91 and many GM vehicles are limited to 98 mph or so, they were fine.

Anymore acceleration and they sacrifice top speed with that motor choice.

If you can find an interview, I'd like to read it.

Firstly: lol....

Secondly, some interesting items in that (new to me) pic:

- Fasteners around edge of headlights
- I'd guess dual forward looking cameras based on mirror cutout
- Something on dash behind center screen near steering wheel... some temporary test instrumentation?
Note sure what those are on the headlight. Don't think they are fasteners. Haven't noticed that on any of the other cars.

I'm sure there will be three forward cameras just like the S and X.

There's no maybe about it, it's very different from an ICE. If the GM engineers went with a different gearing ratio they'd simply get a higher top speed. Since the top speed is already 91 and many GM vehicles are limited to 98 mph or so, they were fine.

Anymore acceleration and they sacrifice top speed with that motor choice.

If you can find an interview, I'd like to read it.
Ok so they use a smaller less powerful motor, that would require a smaller gear, to achieve the same top speed as a larger one. This would come at the expense of acceleration. The end result is a more efficient car (all things being equal) that is able to reach the same speeds but at a slower rate. That's the same principle as a car, motorcycle and bicycle. I'm not sure how that would differ between an ice or electric car. The only difference should be the an electric motor will deliver an instant sustainable and constant acceleration all the way to its top speed without needing additional gearing. However if you look at formula e several manufacturers still opt for an additional gear in order to not sacrifice speed, efficiency, or acceleration. Even the dual motor s uses a more efficient gearing in the front for highway cruising. Perhaps I'm missing something it seems pretty straightforward to me but now I'm hogging the thread and I noticed you live in Indy so I want to stay on your good side in case they don't have any testers buy the time my number is finally called :)

I remember there were a few first look videos on YouTube where they discussed it.

OMG...all this thought and concentration over a car??? Imagine what could be accomplished in this country if this much mental energy was put towards finding better ways to improve our infrastructure, energy sources, food supplies, and educating the totally ignorant who will accept anything a narcissistic clown carny will tell them !!!

I haven't had enough coffee yet?!

Lots of good thoughts about the 3, but Tesla is the only Carnac the Magnificent!!!

Actually the City range with regen should be higher than the highway range. That is my experience with my Model X.
That's because of the high air resistance that Model X have. Model X 90D have 90 mpg city and 94 mpg highway. Model S on the other hand have 95 mpg city and 106 mpg highway. If Tesla have made sure that Model 3 have really low air resistance it should have longer range on highway according to EPA.

Reactions: GSP and SageBrush
I was fairly sure that Tesla could hit the 215 mile range with a 55 kWh battery (nominal), so I'm inclined to think the report of 60 kWh is incorrect or it implies one or another possibilities:

1. The base battery is software delimited to a lower value
2. Tesla design goals for weight or Cd failed (seems doubtful.)
3. This is a marketing game

We should know in about a month.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPUConn
That's because of the high air resistance that Model X have. Model X 90D have 90 mpg city and 94 mpg highway. Model S on the other hand have 95 mpg city and 106 mpg highway. If Tesla have made sure that Model 3 have really low air resistance it should have longer range on highway according to EPA.
Yes, and it will be interesting to see how much the steel adds to the weight of the M3, which is the other part of the range equation. But, hey think how much weight will be saved by only having one screen. ;)

Yes, and it will be interesting to see how much the steel adds to the weight of the M3, which is the other part of the range equation. But, hey think how much weight will be saved by only having one screen. ;)
I've quoted previously that Elon had mentioned the Model 3 was 20% lighter than Model S. So whatever weight the steel adds still makes it 20% lighter than Model S.

The weight reduction aluminum provides is typically only around 50% because it has to be around 150% thicker than the steel counterpart. With Model 3 we have a smaller body, lighter battery pack, less complex interior and some panels are still going to be aluminum, so I think we're in good shape.

Weight has a large effect on EPA city ratings but not nearly as much for the highway portion.

At 75 mph, it is ~ 2:1 Aero:road forces in play for the Model 3 and ~ 3:1 for the Bolt

Last edited: