Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 to start at 60kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It makes sense. It has to exceed the 238 mile Bolt. I can't imagine Tesla coming out with a Model 3 with less range.

Yep. I bet Tesla planned for a smaller base battery, but the Bolt changed those plans.
Now I'm curious to see the final EPA ratings. 3 will surely have better highway range than the Bolt, but the city range may not be a slam dunk.

Interesting that electrek reported that Tesla officials stated the Model 3's base battery would be SMALLER than 60 kWh last year: Tesla confirms base Model 3 will have less than 60 kWh battery pack option, cost is below $190/kWh and falling

What happened since that article was published? The Bolt's official EPA range. :p

Yes, but this probably works out better for anyone buying a base Model 3.....

I bet Tesla got pretty close to 238 miles with the 55kWh, and then dropped the extra 5 in there. With this new bit of knowledge, I'm guessing the base model will now come in closer to 245-250 miles EPA.

I bet Tesla got pretty close to 238 miles with the 55kWh, and then dropped the extra 5 in there. With this new bit of knowledge, I'm guessing the base model will now come in closer to 245-250 miles EPA.

This means that the base Model 3 will cost Tesla a bit more than they initially planned. I really doubt they will change the $35k barebones price.

I suspect this is a reasonable guesstimate. I was thinking around 240 miles... that beats the Bolt, and is a nice round number that yields 4 miles per "advertised" (not actual) KWh in the pack...

My 2013 S85 is a RWD only car like the initial Model 3 is rumored to be. For my vehicle rated range is achieved when consuming ~275Wh/mi (I think it's 273 to be exact).

Assuming an anti-brick buffer of 2.4kWh (the same understood for smaller non-software-limited packs in the Model S), that renders 57.6kWh usable energy.

To achieve 240 rated miles, that would require 57.6kWh / 240 miles = 240Wh/mi (an interesting coincidence).

To achieve 240Wh/mi, that would require an efficiency improvement of 240Wh/mi / 273Wh/mi = .88 or 12%

I find it reasonable to assume that the model 3 with lesser CdA, lesser mass, potentially more efficient electronics, lesser rolling resistance tires, lesser auxiliary power draw, smaller cabin to condition, etc... could manage a 12% better energy usage than the S.

A range of 245 would need to consume 235Wh/mi, or a 14% improvement over the S. Still reasonable.

Wait a sec, what I'm hearing is he JUST approved the budget to automate the lines yesterday? And they're cranking out about 20 packs per day now.

How long is it going to take to order millions of dollars of robots and get them up and running? Sounds like the months of July - Whenever the line goes live they'll be lucky to produce 200 cars a week. Seems like this should have been approved months ago - they must have known the Model 3 was coming :)

Also, the article linked to battery production, but man, I just can't find where it says the Model 3 will have a 60kw battery? Maybe I need more coffee - but can someone point out where I should be looking?

EDIT - Nevermind, found the info on the battery pack size. (Paragraph right above the vid for anyone else looking)

Last edited:
Wait a sec, what I'm hearing is he JUST approved the budget to automate the lines yesterday? And they're cranking out about 20 packs now.
There is a problem with the arithmetic.

"According to our source, the first battery modules for Model 3 test vehicles are being hand-built by a team 150 employees over a 24 hour shift. The source tells Teslarati via Teslanomics (video below) that it takes approximately 10 minutes to complete 1 section of a battery module with 2 employees moving 2170 lithium ion battery cells from a box and into the battery module. There are a total of 7 sections in each battery module. The manual production has been taking place for “several months now” according to our source, who says Tesla is currently building approximately 20 Model 3 battery modules per day by hand."

150 men day is 216,000 men minutes
7 sections * 2 men * 10 minutes per section = 140 men*minutes per battery

216,000/140 = 1542 batteries a day

The "20 per day" line may be for a two man team

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Not to sound negative here but isn't it just as possible that in testing they found they weren't getting to 215 miles will a smaller than 60kw battery pack? The way they've been anti-selling the model 3 I have a hard time they're going to push 240-250 miles which essentially matches the base model S 249 mile range listed on the Tesla site.

Not to sound negative here but isn't it just as possible that in testing they found they weren't getting to 215 miles will a smaller than 60kw battery pack? The way they've been anti-selling the model 3 I have a hard time they're going to push 240-250 miles which essentially matches the base model S 249 mile range listed on the Tesla site.

Elon Musk on Twitter

"Oh so little faith"