TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model 3: Too Much Hoopla?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by HookBill, Mar 21, 2016.

1. HookBill

HookBill Member

Here is one opinion around Tesla's marketing plan. Your opinion please.

2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I'm not bothered or annoyed by Tesla's methods for unveiling a new model, however, can see his point.

In today's social media-infused world, marketing can be a delicate balance between building anticipation and not going overboard. Tesla is unique in that they don't do any advertising to they're probably skewed a bit more towards the "hooplah" marketing tactics.

3. tga

tga Active Member

Well, that's 6 minutes of my life I'll never get back...

• Funny x 3
  4. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

pretty pointless argument. They have revealed almost nothing and teased nothing. So many of the rumors out there have become presented as fact and its those that are being complained about here - but most didn't originate from Tesla.
    All we have from Tesla are some really, REALLY basic facts, none of which have been "teased".
    It seems like the biggest complaint is that they have set a date in the future and told people they are revealing a car.
    The biggest difference is that the other car companies use car shows for that and show concept cars to show features that have no chance of hitting production.
    Of those two, I prefer the Tesla version thanks.

5. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

Tesla has had to spend no money on marketing as they use this type of event to get free advertising.

6. DougH

DougH Active Member

I didn't read the OP post but I cannot wait until Thursday. Tesla events are always a blast and it's so entertaining to come back to these forums and read the complaints and compliments!

• Love x 1
  7. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

What's the argument? (I prefer reading for 20 seconds than watching someone speak while they're driving for 6 minutes).

8. Dave Garaffa

Dave Garaffa Member

There is nothing wrong with a little flash and bang when it comes to rolling out a product that has been given the kind of thought that goes into something like a Tesla Automobile. I mean were not taking about the latest version of velcro or scotch tape, this is a ground breaking product and as such warrants the kind of attention it's getting.

Will we still be saying that 48 hours from now... I for one certainly hope so. I feel this unveiling will be as important to and awe inspiring to our generation as was the electric lightbulb debut that was done at the 1893 worlds fair, and yes I'm not lost on how each event was hosted by Tesla...

9. HookBill

HookBill Member

Back at 'cha, Dave. I think the presenter was showing a bit of his age on this topic. I am 66 myself but I also realize the world is changing in how products are marketed and Tesla is simply following the path it's buyers are following.

10. jeffhre

jeffhre Member

April 6 - estimated 300,000 reservations so far - just nonsense, LOL!

11. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

Yes there is too much hoopla! Isn't it great! :D

12. badbot

badbot Member

Hoopla is like cowbell, never enough!

13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

My understanding is that there are very close to 473,000 Model 3 reservation holders, all driven by the Model 3 reveal and attendant publicity.

I'm not even going to spend 6 minutes watching the video the OP linked to. The reservation count is proof that Tesla's approach worked very well.